RC51 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After browsing the papers I found an RC51 SP1. A day later it was mine, with barely a test drive as I was just keen to get in the saddle.

I am basically a Sunday driver with a new toy and I don't expect I will ever realize the full potential of this bike, but I do plan on seeing my full potential which will be much less than it was when I was young. ;)

My new baby needs paint. Some guy went crazy with paint and an airbrush. That will be sorted out in due time with a simple black paint job. Before then I need to replace the front rotors (and pads too) as one or both are warped. I think.

Also, a new chain is in order. Since I am replacing it, what success have people had with the 520 conversion? Worth it? Gearing change from 16/40 to 15/41 or 15/42 suggested? I know I won't see the top end very often, but perhaps once or twice just for kicks. Perhaps I should throw on a 530 for now and wait till I get use to the bike and then re-consider the swap.

Cheers

Flyguy

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
Welcome to the group!

For racing, I could see a 520 chain/sprocket conversion to save weight and mass to spin up.
For street I don't see where it matters much.
The 15/41 or 15/42 allows good performance and highway speeds.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
nice, welcome to the forum. post up some pics once you repaint it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Buy the heaviest duty 530 Z ring chain you can afford with steel sprockets for longevity.
Since you just back into it, maybe stock gearing is best until the 51's power becomes manageable with your skill set, then change for more of the same. Just added a Tuturo chain oiler system to my SP2 that still has original chain and gearing with approximately 7500 miles. Also don't trust markings on swingarm for alignment, try a Pro-aligner, it works well.
Enjoy the corner carver.
Check brake calipers for free movement when installing new brake components. Clean the brake caliper pistons when extended out as far as they should go to ensure trouble-free use.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips guys, I think I might keep the stock gearing for now; I probably wouldn't notice the difference now anyhow. I am looking forward to replacing the back tire because the sides are worn out!!!

Very addicting!!!

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
...I am looking forward to replacing the back tire because the sides are worn out!!!
Very addicting!!!
What a welcome change.
You generally don't see that here in Florida (Despite ones best efforts).
Unless one lives at Jennings.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Welcome to the family!

·
Registered
118 Posts
You will love it! welcome to the forum, I considered just changing the rear sprocket to a 42, just to get a little more low end but its fine like it is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts