RC51 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ladies and Gents ... On a stop light do you guys put your RC51 in Neutral or you disengage the clutch ( pulling clutch lever all the way ) waiting for the light to turn green ( is there any Cons on disengaging the clutch that long ? )
Thanks for all the reply :)

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
The con of using neutral is that if someone is about to rearend the bike (one should check rearward traffic in your mirrors), then you can't get out of the way. Rear ending a motorcycle is fairly common, unfortunately.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Know your intersections.

If you are familiar with the intersection, it may be safe to put it in neutral if the light is long.(Some intersections here will have you waiting five minutes or longer for a light to turn.)

I do keep mine in gear most of the time just for safety.:cool:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sir Madbuyer ... Do we have any Cons on putting it in gear while waiting for the light ...
( what I mean about Cons is for example the flywheel of our clutch getting thinner )

·
Registered
219 Posts
Only thing under any stress is the release bearing. Which is bathed in oil & pretty bomb proof in my case. 30K+ & still like new.
Forgot to say keeping clutch disengaged will keep the plates nice & wet too.
Everybody likes a wet clutch don't they?

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
^ Not the ducati guys. They like a dry clanky tambourine sounding clutch. :eek: :D

If you have an SP1, and you been riding pretty hard, I always go to neutral at that fist stoplight or two. That's because I've learned that when my clutch and oil is hot, it has a tendancy to want to judder badly if I just hold the clutch in.
It does it on rare occasion when cold too.

Aside from that personal characteristic of my bike, generally speaking, if I can't split lanes (which I do all the time here in CA) I will leave it in gear. For the safety reasons Kwtoxman listed. I feel more vulnerable when sandwiched front and back between cars at a stoplight.
If I'm at the front of the line, splitting lanes, then I usually always grab neutral and sit up and rest for a minute. I always get back into first gear a few seconds before my light turns green, because I want to be the first to break away from the intersection and get out front of all the cars.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Yeah, know your intersections, and traffic lights, if possible. I prefer to go to neutral, but I stay in gear if I think the light will be green soon and/or if there are lots of cars around.

I dunno if others have this problem, but my RC tends to not trigger traffic lights, so sometimes I've had to scoot way up & wait until a car pulls up behind me to trigger the light. I've even turned the bike off while waiting :eek: :mad: ... not doing that anymore, though. I give the light one cycle, and if it doesn't see me and no car shows up to trigger it, I'm goin'. I'll explain to any LEO and let the chips fall where they may.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ducati's make me cringe. that rattle is metal eating itself IMO.
Judder is a thing of the past that I don't miss at all. SP2 judder spring mod. Simples!

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Unless there's no space, or a cop car sitting at the lights I always filter past waiting cars & find neutral just before I brake to a halt. Then I look for adjacent lights to watch them change - engage first, look left and right & make sure there's nothing coming - and get away from the lights as soon as I can once they change. It's rare that I find myself sandwiched between cars at lights.

I don't often keep it in gear unless I can see from adjacent lights that mine are about to go green, in which case I coast and time it to be able to let the clutch out and go when it's green, having made sure there's nothing coming across the road. I don't tend to stop in front of cars, but slightly to the side of them, having filtered past whilst they waited.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
I'll go to neutral if the light is long and I know that any car behind me is aware that I'm there. Otherwise I'm ready to bolt for safety if I have to.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Sir Madbuyer ... Do we have any Cons on putting it in gear while waiting for the light ...
( what I mean about Cons is for example the flywheel of our clutch getting thinner )
No, its typical wear and tear on a bike for us. Like I said, be aware of your surroundings.:cool:

·
Registered
753 Posts
^ Not the ducati guys. They like a dry clanky tambourine sounding clutch. :eek: :D

If you have an SP1, and you been riding pretty hard, I always go to neutral at that fist stoplight or two. That's because I've learned that when my clutch and oil is hot, it has a tendancy to want to judder badly if I just hold the clutch in.

It does it on rare occasion when cold too.

Aside from that personal characteristic of my bike, generally speaking, if I can't split lanes (which I do all the time here in CA) I will leave it in gear. For the safety reasons Kwtoxman listed. I feel more vulnerable when sandwiched front and back between cars at a stoplight.

If I'm at the front of the line, splitting lanes, then I usually always grab neutral and sit up and rest for a minute. I always get back into first gear a few seconds before my light turns green, because I want to be the first to break away from the intersection and get out front of all the cars.

Petty much what Jondog said, I too like to be first off the line, but I make damn sure nothing is running a red light as I'm putting it to go, you 'cans' mericans/Mexicans/puertoricans etc can be crazy like that.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
you 'cans' mericans/Mexicans/puertoricans etc can be crazy like that.
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Guess that leaves me out (along with my countrymen from Sask & BC), 'cause I reckon we're "ians" LOL Not that there isn't a bit of the loony bug in us (not referrring to currency either).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts