RC51 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased my RC a couple weeks ago and loving it....so far so good...one question, though? The guy i purchased it from changed the sprocket or (s) and it has thrown the speedometer off by about 20 miles per hour.... So when I"m doing 80, I"m actually doing 60...Does this make the acutual mileage go up faster.....idk...

·
Registered
422 Posts
what size ?

·
Registered
422 Posts
what size & welcome to the forum.....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
idk....need to get n touch wit dude......i know it is set up for quicker accelaration...ill go count the rear sprosket

·
RC51 Forums Moderator
275 Posts
That can't be right bro. That means he went 8 up in the rear. It wouldn't meet up mathematically with what your saying. Count the front sprocket. OEM gearing is 16/40.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
42 is correct!!......did not count front...Does this change the actual milage?

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
Purchased my RC a couple weeks ago and loving it....so far so good...one question, though? The guy i purchased it from changed the sprocket or (s) and it has thrown the speedometer off by about 20 miles per hour.... So when I"m doing 80, I"m actually doing 60...Does this make the acutual mileage go up faster.....idk...
Yes. The odometer receives it's input from the speed sensor.
The best way to correct this is to install a Speedo-Healer box.
Then you can calibrate to compensate for any gearing changes.

·
Premium Member
6,495 Posts
I have found the original 16/40 is just fine except first is a little tall.
That was the main complaint with that ratio.
The overly tall gearing didn't put the bike into the useful power band for street use. Also it would never pull redline in top gear because of that.
The most popular street gearing ratios are 15/41 or 15/42.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Welcome! Speedo healer cured mine! I run 15/42 in my RC. I calibrated mine by figuring out the speedo error with my Garmin, then entering in the correction factor into the speedo healer module, simple! BTW, I'll have to get together with you for a ride when the snow and gravel goes away, I work in Waynesboro, VA!

John

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Welcome! Speedo healer cured mine! I run 15/42 in my RC. I calibrated mine by figuring out the speedo error with my Garmin, then entering in the correction factor into the speedo healer module, simple! BTW, I'll have to get together with you for a ride when the snow and gravel goes away, I work in Waynesboro, VA!
John
What's up John...sounds like a plan...right now the waether def isn't in our favor

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have found the original 16/40 is just fine except first is a little tall.
I'm happy with the set up I got, just want to know my actual speed...I've purchased the speedo healer just havent installed yet

1 - 20 of 20 Posts