RC51 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Honda RC51
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, man, not a lot of good luck so far. I have a 2004 with 13,000 miles and just went for a putt. Started running horrible, one cylinder. Stalled out. Fired up, ran fine for a sec while blowing oil out the back. Started heading home and it hit again. Got home and it'll fire right back up fine. Lot's of oil coming from the front cylinder. On the exhaust and in the exhaust, dripping out and the pipe connections. Please tell me this is something stupid like a plugged breather ...... Thank you

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Did you do any investigation at all? It sounds to me like you already have an idea where to look

·
Registered
2004 Honda RC51
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you do any investigation at all? It sounds to me like you already have an idea where to look
I’m kinda lost on what to look at. So far just blew in the oil fill plug hole and everything moves freely. Nothing coming out the breather tube on the lower right side though. Is that the crankcase breather? Or is it up on the valve cover?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
the crank case breather is in the front valve cover.

if the breather was blocked you'll blow the valve cover gasket and spill oil everywhere.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
no probably not. valve stem seals don't catastrophically let go. neither do rings.

go take your bike apart. and use your eye holes

·
Registered
2004 Honda RC51
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well after dropping the exhaust it looks like a oil/water mix. Right side exhaust valve is wet but left side is dry. Thinking head gasket or cracked head.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
You said lots of oil coming from the front head on the exhaust and in the exhaust. Made it sound like an external issue as well as an internal one. I can only go by what you say here.

·
Registered
2004 Honda RC51
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You said lots of oil coming from the front head on the exhaust and in the exhaust. Made it sound like an external issue as well as an internal one. I can only go by what you say here.
No external leaks, all internal coming from exhaust port. Just happens to be leaking at all the joints in the exhaust to make it to external. Think I have it whipped. Head is off and going to the machine shop tomorrow to check out the seals and the rest of it. Only weird thing is that if it’s just the seal and dumped to the exhaust..... never made it to the piston..... why would it act as if it was running on one cylinder? Unless it did get to the piston side and fouled the plug but burned it out. Plug is clean though. Guess we’ll find out more at the machine shop.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
did you have the valve cover off for anything? did you make sure the dowel and oring were on the PAIR port?

·
Registered
2004 Honda RC51
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Damn it! I think you are right on the PAIR. it is wet in there and it is where the oil on the valve is coming from. But the dowel and seal are there, no signs of the seal being bad either but maybe I just can't see it.

·
Registered
2004 Honda RC51
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Now to eliminate this ever happening again and since PAIRS is deleted...... Has anyone tapped and plugged that port in the head?

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Yup I did it a few years ago. I threaded it and put a plug in it with a little JB weld for good measure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts