RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 rc51. i'm gonna check the air filter and replace the spark plugs.

i'm virtually sure that i'll go with a k&n set up.
i like the cleanability.
don't like the possibility of messing up a/f mix - and i am a firn NON believer in power commanders.

hopefully someone will tell me not to worry! comments?

·
Registered
863 Posts
No need to apologize to me.

I just cant seem to understand how you wouldn't want your 51 running at its best??? The 51's ecu doesn't have the ability to adapt to changes you make to the bike. The pc can change all that.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i had a longs string of gixxers, all with k&n and pipes. all of them ran well. i don't need 4 more hp, although smoother on/off throttle would be nice.
i'd like to get the bike dynoed and air/fuel mix analysed to make sure the stoich is close and won't cause damage.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Geez, "stoichiometry" on a bike forum. I haven't heard that term since Chemical Engineering 101 back in the dark ages.

BTW, get a Power Commander.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got the k&n installed tonight. while i was in there i replaced the spark plugs. my life hondas are terrible to work on. you have to move ten times more stuff to get at something than other brands(suz).

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i don't care about 1 or 2 hp. i'm going to the dyno to measure a/f mix to make sure i don't blow up my motor.
beyond abnormalties, the hp # is just a curiousity.

·
Registered
863 Posts
You confuse me bro. :confused: You don't believe power commanders work and you dont care about horsepower.

Here is whats going to happen.....Your going to get it to the dyno and your a/f is going to be all outta whack probably and your horsepower is going to be down. The bike is programmed to run close to 14:7 cause that is the best for optimal fuel burn with the least emissions. Thats not necessarily the best for the bike. You need to get it somewhere between 12:5 and 13:5 to make the best power. Guess what??? The only way to do that is to get a power commander. Your not going to achieve that just by adding cans and some K&N's. Don't waste your money on the dyno if you don't care about the results.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
perhaps i didn't state my intentions and beliefs clearly.
i don't believe in pc
i expect my a/f to be ok
because there is finally a dyno in my area i can easily make sure the a/f is ok.

sorry for confusion.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
ah the pic file size limit foils me again. i tried posting the dyno graphs but couldn't. i'll email the pic to someone and it would be cool if someone could get the pic up for me.

118hp at 9220rpm
69.3ftlb at 8114rpm
12.5-13 stoich readings(a/f)

these numbers are about what i expected.

i'm not too lean or rich. there is room to fine tune with a pc. for the level of riding i do i'm happy to know that i won't blow up my motor.

hp & torque are about right. curves are reasonably smooth.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts