RC51 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lets say you misplace your Ignition key for your 06 Rc51...

Does anyone know if i am able to contact Honda to get another (providing proof of ownership)? Or, do i literally have to replace the entire "Key Set" assembly (and matching lock in the rear cowl and gas tank)?

And if that is, in fact, the route i have to go, does anyone know if its something i can do on my own or do i need to have it done by a tech?

Its finally getting gorgeous out here and i can't even get the friggen' bike out of the shed now....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, i have been doing some reading (non-RC51-specific) and it looks like some bikes require a re-flash or re-program of the ECU...does anyone know if the RC is the same way or if just changing the ignition is enough.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
May have found the answer to my own question (some of them at least).

It's $150 bucks to get a mobile locksmith out to my house. They cut a Key off the gas tank lock, and you are good to go after that.

What would be even better is if the damn key turned up...

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think there is a 4digit code on the lock and together with title you could order one from hOnda for less than $150. Even a key set is not that expensive, I don't think.
I'd keep looking for the key. When was the last time it run, what were you wearing? Check gloves, jacket, helmet bag.....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FOUND THE KEY! usually helps when you take it OUT of your pocket before you wash the pants...

so now, i have 150 to spend on something ELSE for the bike! Bring on the clutch discs!

·
Registered
23 Posts
If your key is one of the originals from the bike it should have a code stamped on it. You should be able to take this code to the dealer and have a duplicate cut. I just had a second key cut for around $8. I'd also recommend you write down that code somewhere you won't lose it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts