RC51 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever use any knock-off or universal cans from ebay on their bike with any success? I have an SP1 that has some tired Akrapovic carbon fiber cans on it that are kind of too far gone to repair. They still sound amazing, but around the hanger the resin has degraded and broken down where I can see raw CF. One of the cans is also kind of squishy in areas telling me the resin on the inside is toast as well. I dont really feel like making negatives and laying my own CF to replace the structure, and I also dont feel like spending 500-1000 on new mufflers for a 21 year old bike.

Found some good looking knock off units on ebay for real cheap and wondering if anyone has taken the gamble. Fully aware you get what you pay for, but in this scenario im not looking for perfection. Note the image below may not be an exact fit, it's just a representation of the kinds of things out there.

Any thoughts?

Automotive lighting Product Cosmetics Audio equipment Material property

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm not too sure if you can still get them but I think some of the guys here have the part numbers for the akra repair kits basically new sleeves and packing you drill out the rivets and repack with new carbon sleeves. If at all possible I'd restore the old cans . I have some sato cans that are tired but I don't think I have that same option or I'd do it. Interested to see what you wind up doing though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be fantastic if that exists. Ive actually been looking into making my own forms that I could use to lay a new can myself, but that sounds like a ton of work id rather avoid.

Anyone got some part numbers or sources?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I found them. I found the two attached schematics from Akra and in the bottom left they show part numbers for sleeves and packing material. I'm not sure what the difference between the S-H10SO1T-C and S-H10SO1-C exhaust kits, they are both the carbon versions, but they both use the same sleeve part number of P-RKS45C47.

Kind of spendy - it'll be about $350 bucks to get new sleeves and packing for them....yuck.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Automotive lighting Grille Bumper Font Rectangle

Stg says they have them, I saw someone selling a pair of cans on ebay for 3500 so that's seems pretty reasonable compared. you'll pay at least that for a decent slip on system like gpr or something.

·
Registered
2002 RC51
241 Posts
If your able repack and fix for sure!!! Spend a little money on a refresh for the nice system you have.. no way I'd scrap a akrapovic for a fleabay.

My buddy repacked his yosh on a 600rr not long ago, simple and cheap. Same buddy just ordered a new Akrapovic sleeve kit for a 600rr full system. Worth it is my 2 cents 👍

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you go on aliexpress you can get knockoff that is 570mm 60mm inlet. The body is stainless with carbon film or real carbon.

93.56US $ 19% OFF|Real carbon fiber Lenth 370/470/570MM Universal Yoshimura Exhaust muffler Pipe Escape moto Slip on for Tmax Xmax Nmax z900 z1000|Exhaust & Exhaust Systems| - AliExpress"sku_id"%3A"12000024637412248"%7D&pdp_npi=2%40dis%21USD%21%2193.56%21%21%21%21%21%402101e9d516555589020602891e451c%2112000024637412248%21sea

75.6US $ 20% OFF|Length 570mm Inlet 51mm 61mm Exhaust Muffler Pipe Motorbike Motocross Yoshimura R11 Escape Moto Universal for TMAX 500 530 560| | - AliExpress"sku_id"%3A"12000027720089657"%7D&pdp_npi=2%40dis%21USD%21%2175.6%21%21%21%21%21%402101fd4b16555589497784115e8ec3%2112000027720089657%21sea

I have a faux hindle carbon for 30 years still looks new.

Its a shame that the akra carbon falls apart. My satos with 16k mils still looks new.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bit the bullet and ordered the akra rebuild kits. I'll try to take some pictures during the rebuild and post them up in case anyone is interested.

I agree it's a shame they don't last longer, but I don't know the history or how well they were taken care of. If the packing goes the cans will overheat and cook the resin out of the carbon fiber. Excited to see them all fixed up!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I bit the bullet and ordered the akra rebuild kits. I'll try to take some pictures during the rebuild and post them up in case anyone is interested.

I agree it's a shame they don't last longer, but I don't know the history or how well they were taken care of. If the packing goes the cans will overheat and cook the resin out of the carbon fiber. Excited to see them all fixed up!
Well according to legend, any RC51 that is mounted with CF exhausts and actually gets ridden, for some apparent reason or another, the carbon fiber tends to break down more quickly with the v-twin engine...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Keep in mind there are different types of fiberglass. I used ceramic packing in my VFR800 Leo Vince on my 2002. The previous owner had removed the packing. Also the Leo's have a thin stainless steel shield that is sandwiched between the carbon and packing which protects the carbon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been trying to order some of the ceramic blanket from ceramicfiberonline.com but the site has been down. Looks like it's back up today so I'll place an order

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well i tried to order from ceramicfiberonline.com, but the smallest pack they have is 24"x300" and the shipping alone was $96! He actually told me to try Amazon or Mcmaster if I need smaller pieces so I looked and found 1x15.7x24 ceramic blankets for $18 each with free Prime shipping - guess i'll go that route

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well i tried to order from ceramicfiberonline.com, but the smallest pack they have is 24"x300" and the shipping alone was $96! He actually told me to try Amazon or Mcmaster if I need smaller pieces so I looked and found 1x15.7x24 ceramic blankets for $18 each with free Prime shipping - guess i'll go that route
Sweet. Thanks for the details!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts