RC51 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever use any knock-off or universal cans from ebay on their bike with any success? I have an SP1 that has some tired Akrapovic carbon fiber cans on it that are kind of too far gone to repair. They still sound amazing, but around the hanger the resin has degraded and broken down where I can see raw CF. One of the cans is also kind of squishy in areas telling me the resin on the inside is toast as well. I dont really feel like making negatives and laying my own CF to replace the structure, and I also dont feel like spending 500-1000 on new mufflers for a 21 year old bike.

Found some good looking knock off units on ebay for real cheap and wondering if anyone has taken the gamble. Fully aware you get what you pay for, but in this scenario im not looking for perfection. Note the image below may not be an exact fit, it's just a representation of the kinds of things out there.

Any thoughts?

Automotive lighting Product Cosmetics Audio equipment Material property

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be fantastic if that exists. Ive actually been looking into making my own forms that I could use to lay a new can myself, but that sounds like a ton of work id rather avoid.

Anyone got some part numbers or sources?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I found them. I found the two attached schematics from Akra and in the bottom left they show part numbers for sleeves and packing material. I'm not sure what the difference between the S-H10SO1T-C and S-H10SO1-C exhaust kits, they are both the carbon versions, but they both use the same sleeve part number of P-RKS45C47.

Kind of spendy - it'll be about $350 bucks to get new sleeves and packing for them....yuck.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bit the bullet and ordered the akra rebuild kits. I'll try to take some pictures during the rebuild and post them up in case anyone is interested.

I agree it's a shame they don't last longer, but I don't know the history or how well they were taken care of. If the packing goes the cans will overheat and cook the resin out of the carbon fiber. Excited to see them all fixed up!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been trying to order some of the ceramic blanket from ceramicfiberonline.com but the site has been down. Looks like it's back up today so I'll place an order

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well i tried to order from ceramicfiberonline.com, but the smallest pack they have is 24"x300" and the shipping alone was $96! He actually told me to try Amazon or Mcmaster if I need smaller pieces so I looked and found 1x15.7x24 ceramic blankets for $18 each with free Prime shipping - guess i'll go that route

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
And the reward for those who waited....pictures!

As the saying goes, the pictures dont do this justice - night and day difference. That being said, what a total pain in the ass this process was. Not sure if i'm just grumpy because it was about 100deg and humid here today or if it really did suck that much, but whatever, it's done.

Things I learned and things you should know if you take this on:
  • Have some spare sharp drill bits on hand. If you have a sharpener, even better. The titanium or whatever the endcaps are made of eat drill bits for lunch.
  • Use a small pilot bit and then use a step bit to open the holes.
  • There are no instructions at all.
  • End caps are tight and you have to persuade them off. Have a good rubber mallet
  • Ceramic fiber is dense. Like week old been sat on cotten candy. I got the 1" but I would recommend the 1/2". The oval shape of the cans makes it hard to fit two layers of 1" in, but one layer isnt enough. I had to peel the stuff in half the long way to create half inch mat and fill some other areas to pack out the cans.
  • Ive read you can use tape or stainless race wire to hold the mat in place. I dont like the tape idea and i didnt have any appropriate wire so I used 30lb fishing line.
  • The rivets they send suck ass. They are a weird cup type with no open bottom and you put them in blind with no backing washer. What makes them suck is the fact that the nail is loose and doesnt grip the rivet. This prevents the rivet gun from appropriately "choking up" on the nail and made them a real bugger to snap off.
  • The stainless bands come with no holes in them and when you put the new CF over the end caps you cant see the old holes. So, you have to drill your own.
  • The bands are stiff and impossible to hold tight by hand. Theyll never be as good as factory, but you can make them look the part.
  • If I were to do it again, I would probably buy the actual Akra packing kits
  • If I were to do it again, I probably wouldnt do it again.

Now for pictures.

The before:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Crankset Bicycle

The carnage inside:

Wood Cylinder Rectangle Auto part Metal

Wood Art Hardwood Metal Artifact

Wood Auto part Cylinder Metal Art

First layer of ceramic fiber:

Wood Gas Brick Composite material Concrete

A little more for good measure:

Gas Composite material Wood Concrete Brick

Dont forget to pack the ends: