RC51 Forums banner
241 - 260 of 281 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #241 · (Edited)
I also picked up a clean subframe over the winter. The one on the bike was tweaked by the PO and it was off just enough to put slight pressure on the rear cowl plastic through the bolt mounting holes. The result was cracks over time in the plastic of the rear cowl bolt mount area.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
Swapped the subframes in these pictures. I managed to do it without disconnecting very much. Only a few wires. Not as slow and painful as I thought it was going to be.

If doing the same, take a bunch of pics of the subframe and wiring harness before removing so that there is a guide of how and where things go.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 · (Edited)
Yup, :). That was more work I had to do. The front brake pull got soft over the storage months. I knew it was leaking caliper seals again as I missed one set when I did them a few years back. I found out which caliper was the source of the slow leak, and then realized I had a spare clean caliper I could use I picked up a while back. I figured why not try it. Much faster to swap and got incredible brake lever feel back. So far all is good, though it will take a while to determine if there is a slow leak in this other caliper I'm using.

A few pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
As part of this year's work I also did the PCIII fix for the PCV. The PCIII USB is installed as discussed on this forum and zero'd. No pics, since it is redundant from previous installs I've detailed in this thread. Thankfully I didn't rush to sell anything on the bike and kept the PCIII. I waited to do the work in conjunction with the subframe work to make it easier. One of the more painless installs this time.

I think most of this year's refresh is done. I still have to start it and check things out but I'm thinking all looks good.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 · (Edited)
Thx to the forum here and a member highlighting the availability, I put the order in for Watsen front LED signals over the winter.

More for the box o' parts. I have the Rizoma stalk signals up front and don't feel like doing the additional work to mount them up at the moment. I do have recent universal watsen signals on the back and they are amazing. Way way bright. Watsen are the gold standard imo for signal lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #248 ·
Time for an update. Bike went back together after the earlier work I discussed. It was smooth and relatively painless. Then the bike sat. I was able to plate it just last week for the first time this year. :surprise:

After diagnosing and fixing a minor electrical snafu I got out for a ride. The bike was fast, faster than I remember.... like one could loop it quick with heavy throttle. :)

I'm very happy with the bike improvements with the latest work. It is riding better and quicker than every. I did daisy chain my PCV AT with a PCIII and it feels like it is running smoother and better than before. Super smooth. I shouldn't be too surprised as I do a lot of riding in the 4k to 5k rpm range. :smile2:

I have to get some pics and some point and will post up.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 · (Edited)
Last real ride of the year today. Nice, sunny and warm out for the time of year. The bike is running better than ever. Have done a few 2nd gear power wheelies without much effort, which is new. Great bike and fun. Hope you guys with longer riding seasons enjoy it out there. Will still try to get a picture or two.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
PM your way kwtox...

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 · (Edited)
Been quiet on the bike front for me. Though I'm still around and enjoying all your posts in the mean time. Here for my friends, I have a deal to share.
Shindy Aluminum Banjo Bolts Double with Speed Bleeder - P1.25 Thread 17-631 | eBay
Great price and value.

A no-brainer front brake upgrade. Upper double banjo bolt setup with speedbleeder. This is a stock master bolt-on for aftermarket double brake lines. Others can check for the brembo master version (different pitch).

Combine this with double upgraded braided lines for the front, such as the top notch Spiegler braided lines from Dan Kyle racing and you've got a killer front brake setup, with superior bleeding capability to boot.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 ·
It's been too long since I posted here. Finally got some work done. I put in the new PCV with the ignition fix and it looks good. I haven't tested it yet (and will) but the new unit has another wiring connector for the crank position sensor which my original PCV did not have. This connector specifically measures ignition timing accurately and negates the RF interference issues with the earlier PCV units.

Bike is ready to rumble again :). I need to go back to the PCV installation instructions again and adjust them. FYI, the CPS sensor info with the PCV instructions is incorrect for the SP2. PITA figuring out it's based off an SP1. The CPS connector on the bike is on the left side of the airbox (always as if you're sitting on the bike) below the plastic wiring loom boot. Look for the same connector as what's on the PCV.

The RC51 is a great looking bike.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #254 ·
Finally got out on the bike. Love the RC51

Incredibly responsive throttle without being twitchy. 15/43 gearing is the shiz. With the fixed PCV and AT I'm liking what I've observed so far. Though I did notice that the bike is backfiring a bit off throttle at around 3-4k rpm. I've already made some PCV adjustments and will see how it goes.

I'll try to get a picture up soon. Cheers!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #255 · (Edited)
We had a terrible fall here. I hardly got any chance to ride. Hope you all did better than I did. Here's a picture before the bike on my last ride before winter came in here. Bike is now put away.

Cheers and have a nice weekend. Happy thanksgiving to all the in the US!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
I just haven't got around to installing those chain adjusters yet. They fell off the radar with all sorts of other stuff happening this spring/summer.

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
Did you get your adjusters direct from Racetorx? I tried contacting them about a clutch cover/protector and never heard back from them. Like the looks of those adjusters too.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I ordered their clutch protector almost 3 weeks ago , they Emailed me they were waiting for my payment (Paypal) to be received. The money came out before they Emailed me and I get no response to my queries. If I don't hear anything by this weekend I'm going to open a case with Paypal and see if they can get a response. I'll keep you posted.

241 - 260 of 281 Posts