RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the general as well:

I switch between riding my 03 GSXR750 and my 05 RC51. My RC has stock forks (serviced two years ago, but not heavily ridden) with an Ohlins Rear and a Scott's Stearing Dampener, and the sag was set about two years back, too. My GSXR (now a track bike) has Showa superbike forks and an Ohlins rear shock, and feels dialed in.

I have found that my Suzuki has much more front end feel, while my RC feels more loose and slightly disconnected in comparison. On another level, I feel like I am riding lower or inside the GSXR, while I feel like I ride on top of the RC -- if that makes any sense.

Are there any suggestions to improving my steering/front end feel? Should I crank down the dampener?

·
Registered
575 Posts
RC51 stock forks SUCK ,, get them valved and change the top out spring , theres a mod for that , i just had mine done new springs top-out mod valves , new bike now

·
Registered
26 Posts
My RC handled poorly when I bought it (coming off of a 600RR). The previous owner had the forks rebuilt so they are OKish. Bike felt heavy, no turn in, didn't feel nimble at all, I kept thinking "they race these things!?" I noticed the rear suspension seemed to "sit" really low. I put a couple of shims in the rear shock to raise the rear suspension height. I also put new tires on the bike, changed out a 190/50 rear for a 190/55. These changes increased turn in dramatically (not enough to make the bike twitchy). The bike was immediately more lively, felt light and nimble. Check your tires first, make sure they are in good nick and the proper profile. Then, you might want to try either raising the rear suspension height a bit or raising the forks (lower the front end). See if that helps.

I can't speak for the stock forks as the forks in my bike were already upgraded when I got it, however you should be able to get them close enough where the bike doesn't feel like a POS.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i really don't get the "heavy" feeling,at all. even after the 636. the SP2 RC's only weigh MAYBE 470lbs wet. it's definetly no heavier than my Bros. 2002 Yzf600r. with a decent exhaust,you drop another 20lbs. flapper/pair valves,that's gotta be another 5lbs. at that point an SP2 is what,maybe 15lbs heavier than a 2nd gen. Ninja 636? i dunno,but it still feels like a lil toy after gettin of my 580lb FZR1000.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just spoke with Mike at Dan Kyle Racing. He, too, said the stock forks are probably my problem. He recommends the Ohlins valves and springs rebuild for about $650.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Ohlins Valve & spring kit will probably give you a one size fits all solution. :)
Probably a improvement anyways, depends on what you really want.

Also as someone's said above, check your tyres. If they're worn considerably in the centre from a lot of straight line riding this can affect steering response too, especially at slower speeds, but also check tyre pressures (regularly)!

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Mike's a total prick, thinks he's some sort of RC51 guru or something...
Wow....talking in the 3rd person....never expected that:D Er, yes I did.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I noticed the rear suspension seemed to "sit" really low. I put a couple of shims in the rear shock to raise the rear suspension height
I have exact the same idea on the heavy steering, and coming from a Duc, with nice ride height adjustment as standard, I already prepared some different thickness shims as well.

What is the thickness you might recommend us?

·
Registered
575 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
I will be sending my forks to Dan Kyle Racing, Them pricks are actually an Ohlins Certified Service Center :D

Yeah. I'm taking it..:p

·
Registered
575 Posts
Catalyst Reaction Suspension Tuning . are one of the best , just ask the racing community , Plus i went with GP valves , instead of Ohlins , Jim Williams has over 20 years tuning suspension , . he showed me all the valves from different companies , he even had some clone look alike Ohlins , anyway after all the info i went with GP valves , mod the top=out spring ,, and new main springs , 4 hrs later with me sitting there watching every move was great , i learned a lot more then i did before that day ,, i been in the track day game for 9 years now and street riding over 25 years , and whaT I HAVE FOUND OUT , is big name is not always best ,,,,

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
So with all of that said and you are still riding around at 15 seconds off the lap record? :D

There are 4 things in life where you do actually get what you pay for:

Motorcycle suspension
Motorcycle bodywork
Women
Divorce Attorneys

·
Registered
575 Posts
So with all of that said and you are still riding around at 15 seconds off the lap record? :D

There are 4 things in life where you do actually get what you pay for:

Motorcycle suspension
Motorcycle bodywork
Women
Divorce Attorneys
ok the days of going lap time fast are in the past for me , the zx10r's are put to rest , im older now and went back to the RC51 because back in 02 i had one that i started the trackdays , and then sold for the 04 zx10r thats when speed really mattered , now i went back to the 03 RC51 with a lot of good things done , not to make me faster and lap times go down , i did all this to the RC so it will be fun and safe to ride , im still in A group mid pack , but having fun , PS why do you talk so much shit , im sure cory call can wipe the floor with you and only use one hand riding ,

·
Registered
26 Posts
Reworking the stock forks is a good idea. The RC51 also responds well to increasing the rear ride height. Either buy a different suspension link for your bike or at least install a shim between the stock shock mount and the frame to raise the rear a bit. You will not believe the difference this makes in how the RC51 turns.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
PS why do you talk so much shit , im sure cory call can wipe the floor with you and only use one hand riding ,
Why are you so antagonistic all the time? I've gotten more than one PM from people on this site about your attitude and have basically been told that you mean well but don't know shit from shine-ola. Cory can no doubt wipe the floor with me and I should hope that would be the case. I'm a test rider and track instructor nothing more really... I know exactly where I stand and have nothing to hide. I ride a 7 year old bike and only run 2:00's at Thunderhill, 1:58 at Buttonwillow, 1:44 at Infineon and 1:38's on a good day at Laguna. That's all I can do without riding over my head and risking injury, but I can ride those laps extremely consistently and tell you exactly what the bike is doing underneath me and how each suspension adjustment affects the bike and where. When I test parts on a bike I do it under the idea of how it will benefit the common rider on one of these forums. I base my reviews on how it will affect the average joe rider not some pro racer turning near lap record pace. What works for someone at or near a lap record does not usually work for the guy that rides at 20 seconds off the lap record.

I enjoy what I do and when I speak I do it with the experience of having been fortunate enough to have tested almost every brand of suspension you can think of on a myriad of bikes. I'm not just basing my opinion on one simple view of what I installed on my bike and that is that. Instead I have a large amount of real world experience to pull from.

I also know that Kyle Racing is the largest Ohlins dealer in the world owned by a man that is a two time AMA Tuner of the Year. Dan has literally reworked thousands of RC51 front ends. Many of his customers are nothing more than weekend canyon carvers while others have gone on to win multiple club championships with the exact same front end rework that he has done to all those RC51's.

I could very easily discuss other suspension tuners and their craft or lack of and cite actual incidents, but out of professional courtesy I will refrain.

What I can tell you for sure is that anytime you buy products from Kyle Racing or have them serviced there that when you get them they will be assembled correctly, have the proper oil in them by centistrokes not just viscosity as well as the proper oil height and the shocks will have the proper nitrogen charge in them.

I know it is the internet and everybody is an expert and all, but some people do have the answers and can relate to the average rider with a little more than "here is what I did and it is the best". I may not be able to tell you how to turn 1:23's at Laguna, but I can damn sure tell you what to expect from your bike turning 1:40's as well as how to get both your bike and your own ability built up to the point than you can get there and do it safely.

Granted there is definitely more than one way to skin the cat when it comes to suspension just like there is more than one option for Fi tuning. You can buy a Juice Box, Yosh Box, Dobeck whatever and get some semblance of improvement out of it over the stock ECU fueling, but that doesn't make any of them equal to the overall performance gains of the common Powercommander that has a HUGE customer support base as well as a HUGE consumer support base for map sharing and install help etc. Sometimes bucking the system just to be different is not the answer...

Stick with the products that are used by the vast majority and proven by the masses to work rather than risk a sub-par product that will leave doubt in the back of your mind. Confidence is everything in this sport.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts