RC51 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I am new to this whole rc51 wiring deal. I have a 2003 sp2 rc51 and am swapping out the hotbodies turn signal. Since I am going from LED to LED, is it safe to assume there is a dimmer installed somewhere in the series? The light intensity changes upon brake application. I am curious if I have to buy a new dimmer or if there is one somewhere else. Thanks for the advice and the welcome to the group.
Best,
Joe

·
Registered
238 Posts
there are 2 different circuits in the led fixture. there should be 3 different wires (ground, low illumination, and high illumination). if theres integrated turn signals there will be one more wire per side. if the light is bright then you probably got the brake hooked up to high illumination instead of low illumination, making the brake light essentially not be able to brighten because its already at its brightest. best thing to do is to use a probe that you can ground to the bike and when you touch the end of it to the wires in the lighting harnesses you will see the light come on depending on what switches are being used on the controls. if you have the bike on you should only get one wire that gives voltage (the constant illumination), thats where id start. then, put your left directional on and see what wire makes the probe blink. do the same with the right blinker. now, go to the right side of the bike and press the brake down while touching whats left and that should be your brake illumination wire. you only really need one ground out of the 3 (all the green wires) that are there to work everything because they really all go back to the same spot. i dont remember what colored wire goes to what but probing definitely solves it. this is if the connectors have been completely cut off. if they havent and the person left the tails from the connectors, then i believe the blue connector is left blinker and the orange is right blinker. im sure after i post all of this someone will be able to tell you the wire colors, thats my luck. hope i helped you out and you can understand what i mean.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only have 2 wires per light (2 for turns signals and 2 for brakes). I have two for the brake lights and two for the turn signals. I was reading that LEDs do not respond like regular incandescent bulbs. I do not want to lose my intensity change upon brake application. I wonder if I can just connect LEDs and it will behave the same way as the hot bodies or if there is a mechanism in the hot bodies to dim and brighten. I hope this clarifies what I am asking.

·
Registered
238 Posts
so youre saying that there is only 2 wires in each light? that doesnt make sense. you need a ground for it to work so that tells me you only have 1 lighting circuit in each bulb. i dont see how youd ever be able to put the brake on or do any type of directionals. a picture would be excellent.

·
Registered
238 Posts
i looked at a bunch of listings on ebay just now and for rc51 hot bodies undertail and all of them basically say integrated signals. not sure what you got going on there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Heres the wires from the inside. theres two wires into each set of lights. one for the turn signal and one for the brake lights. The brake lights brighten upon brake pressure. I hope this helps. I appreciate your guidance and patience .

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
so you have black, orange, red, and blue. i bet black is ground. jump a wire from your battery ground to the black and from the positive jump a wire from it. use that wire to test your circuits. i think blue is constant, red is brake, and orange is blinker. you can run your + to the blue wire and touch the red to it and see if it gets brighter or visa versa.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yup thats my left turn signal/brake light. If I were to splice that running light into another led light bar do you think I would still get the intensity change upon braking? I suck at this whole electricity thing.

·
Registered
238 Posts
you can run a positive and negative from the battery and test wires that way. basically, twist the 2 blacks together, the 2 blues together, and the 2 reds together. those all will meet to their own wires in the main harnesses. run - from the battery to the blacks for testing purposes (those will go to a green wire later on) and use the battery positive to test your reds, blues, and oranges. obviously the oranges are blinkers so they will not be twisted together.

·
Registered
238 Posts
what id do is put the positive to the blues and see if you get illumination. if you do touch the reds and see if the lights get brighter. if that doesnt work reverse it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
i didnt see your question. as long as you connect it in line correctly it shouldnt. are you using it as a brake or illumination? connect the light bars negative to a green wire and depending on what youre using it for connect its positive to the constant or the brake positive.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Hotbodies Undertail Color Code (Honda RC51)

Black = Ground
Blue = Running Lights
Red = Brake Lights
Orange = Turn Signal (one specific wire each for Left or Right)

Hotbodies ----------- RC51
=======------------=======
Left Signal
Orange ------------- Orange

Right Signal
Orange ------------- Light Blue

Brake Lights
Red ---------------- Green/Yellow

Ground
Black --------------- Green

Running Lights
Blue ---------------- Black/Brown

License Plate Light
N/A Black/Brown (same electrical point as Running lights)
(not part of Hotbodies undertail)

·
Registered
238 Posts
thanks for the clarification subsailor, so i was right on the undertail but wasnt specifically right on the bike side. hopefully he fixed his problem, i never found out if he was all set, he just vanished.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts