RC51 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
@The Stig, holy hell, do I love your style! Great bikes man and enjoy the riding in Japan. I lived in Iwakuni down in the Yamaguchi Prefecture for many years and absolutely miss the beautiful rides I had in Japan. Please post up some pictures of the countryside, I would be most appreciative. Cheers, G

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
@The Stig, holy hell, do I love your style! Great bikes man and enjoy the riding in Japan. I lived in Iwakuni down in the Yamaguchi Prefecture for many years and absolutely miss the beautiful rides I had in Japan. Please post up some pictures of the countryside, I would be most appreciative. Cheers, G
Thanks Ripper. I don't tend to take a lot of pictures when riding, as I mostly ride alone - but here's a couple taken with the RC51, and also a friend's SP2 we restored some years ago (bought as a high-side wrecked bike), with the help of many in this community.
Wheel Tire Sky Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks Ripper. I don't tend to take a lot of pictures when riding, as I mostly ride alone - but here's a couple taken with the RC51, and also a friend's SP2 we restored some years ago (bought as a high-side wrecked bike), with the help of many in this community. View attachment 137551
View attachment 137552
Beautiful Mt Fujisan in the background. I miss Japan!

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
My latest bike project is finally beginning, after collecting the base bike, lots of updated & custom parts, and storing them all for 6 years, awaiting when our just turned 10-year-old son would be fired up enough to really want to build it with me. The donor bike, from which we’ll use mostly just the engine and electrical parts, etc. has been sitting under a cover and roof all this time, hibernated but not forgotten.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

After preparing all the old 1990 NSR250R MC21 bodywork for sale last Sunday (it’ll become a 1996 Mick Doohan / Repsol replica (NSR250 MC28, with a key & MC21 instruments, instead of a card and the difficult to tune electronics), we went up to the loft last night and brought down the frame, swing arm, suspension, wheels, and other small parts, to build the frame, onto which other parts will soon start to be attached.

We’ll also be refreshing the donor engine and carburettors, etc. before fitting.

Bodywork to be used is mostly original Honda plástics, with a custom one piece Carbon single seat tail, plus a GP replica top cowl which were lovingly moulded before it was all restored to Repsol colours by Tyga Performance, 6 years ago.
Will take time, as I want he and I to learn together - how to nickel-zinc plate and passivate old fasteners and brackets. He’ll be studying chemistry in the evenings without realising it, and loving it. 😁

Wheel Automotive tire Alloy wheel Tire Tread

White Light Black Wood Red

Natural material Household supply Wood Plastic wrap Plastic bag
Material property Fashion accessory Rectangle Fur Eyewear

·
Registered
67 Posts
Some present, some past…

The 78 CR was supposed to be a bike to race vintage mx with and it turned out too nice, lol.

The KTM is my current MX ride…21 Factory Edition 450 SXF.

The RC doesn’t need explanation, lol.

The 2002 CR250 was my first bike when I started riding mx again in 18, after several years off. I wasn’t sure if I’d stick with it, so I bought it cheap. It was neglected but mostly original and no one had been into the engine (a plus in my book). I did a complete rebuild of the bike. Factory Connection did the suspension, and Tom Morgan did the cylinder and head with the compression bumped for race fuel. It ripped and was fun to ride, but it reminded me (a) that I wasn’t 25 anymore and (b) why everyone went to 4-strokes. I sold itafter getting the KX.

The 18 KX 450 replaced the 02 CR. I rode it until the fall of 19, when I got hurt. I sold it and bought the KTM when I healed up. I grew up racing Hondas in the 90’s but loved the 90/91 KX’s. Decal Works did up a retro graphics and seat for it. It had Ohlins cartridges up front to replace the dismal Showa air forks, and an Ohlins out back, along with a remapped ECU, Hinson engine covers, Pro Circuit pipe, and probably a bunch of other stuff I’m forgetting. The buyer got one heck of a deal as it was about 2 months prior to COVID and the crazy prices that came with the early months.

Not pictured are my current projects, 2 86 CR250s. I got them and a bunch of parts as a package. Both will need restoration. One will be a replica of Rick Johnson’s 86 HRC bike, and the other a rider for me to have fun with.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire

Footwear Tire Wheel Motorcycle Motocross

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Some present, some past…

The 78 CR was supposed to be a bike to race vintage mx with and it turned out too nice, lol.

The KTM is my current MX ride…21 Factory Edition 450 SXF.

The RC doesn’t need explanation, lol.

The 2002 CR250 was my first bike when I started riding mx again in 18, after several years off. I wasn’t sure if I’d stick with it, so I bought it cheap. It was neglected but mostly original and no one had been into the engine (a plus in my book). I did a complete rebuild of the bike. Factory Connection did the suspension, and Tom Morgan did the cylinder and head with the compression bumped for race fuel. It ripped and was fun to ride, but it reminded me (a) that I wasn’t 25 anymore and (b) why everyone went to 4-strokes. I sold itafter getting the KX.

The 18 KX 450 replaced the 02 CR. I rode it until the fall of 19, when I got hurt. I sold it and bought the KTM when I healed up. I grew up racing Hondas in the 90’s but loved the 90/91 KX’s. Decal Works did up a retro graphics and seat for it. It had Ohlins cartridges up front to replace the dismal Showa air forks, and an Ohlins out back, along with a remapped ECU, Hinson engine covers, Pro Circuit pipe, and probably a bunch of other stuff I’m forgetting. The buyer got one heck of a deal as it was about 2 months prior to COVID and the crazy prices that came with the early months.

Not pictured are my current projects, 2 86 CR250s. I got them and a bunch of parts as a package. Both will need restoration. One will be a replica of Rick Johnson’s 86 HRC bike, and the other a rider for me to have fun with.

View attachment 137569
View attachment 137573
View attachment 137572
View attachment 137571
View attachment 137570
not sure how the riding pic got in there…lol

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Got 14, here are some of them. 😁
Couple of them gone to storage for the winter, and 08 R1 track bike and 12 Concourse. View attachment 137599 View attachment 137600 View attachment 137601 View attachment 137602
Fantastic collection, and display! I see you also have a penchant for big thumper twins. Make sure you ride them; I was just speaking with a friend yesterday who has one of the world's largest race replica collections in the world. He and I agreed that as we get older, and observe others who have become unable to ride any more due to age and ill health, we realise that day will probably come for most of us sooner or later. So best make good use of the times we have left to ride our beautiful machines.

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Reactions: Nevertoomany
41 - 60 of 91 Posts