RC51 Forums banner
61 - 80 of 91 Posts

Registered
Fantastic collection, and display! I see you also have a penchant for big thumper twins. Make sure you ride them; I was just speaking with a friend yesterday who has one of the world's largest race replica collections in the world. He and I agreed that as we get older, and observe others who have become unable to ride any more due to age and ill health, we realise that day will probably come for most of us sooner or later. So best make good use of the times we have left to ride our beautiful machines.
Yes Sir, absolutely. 馃榿 馃憤

Registered
Indeed, if I were to own one of the 鈥渆xotics鈥 I would probably get an RC30. It鈥檚 one of my favorite bikes of all. If I hit the lotto I would add an NR750 as well, just because.
I was a fool when I was younger had a chance to buy a brand new rc30 for around 14500 :( i tried not to miss that opportunity on the r7

Registered
You made a wise decision then. With only 500 examples having been produced, and many of those sold to racing concerns, yours will be one of very few clean examples in the hands of private owners. The scarcity factor alone puts it in a whole different category.
The RC30 was built in relatively much larger numbers (3000) but has a special place in the hearts of Honda fans. It鈥檚 connection to the WSBK history and Joey Dunlop on the Isle of Man give it an almost mythical quality of its own.
You really can鈥檛 go wrong either way. Being a Honda fan I would probably opt for the RC but I would certainly not turn down the R7. The only thing standing in my way is the $$$$$!!

Registered
2003 Honda RC51 RVT1000R SP-2
Great collection of other bikes here! Here are my others...

86' Ninja 600R turned cafe - This was the first street bike I ever purchased. I rode it for a year or so and sold it to friend after upgrading to a CBR600RR. He rode it for 2 weeks, found out his gf was pregnant, lost the key, and pushed it in the corner of his parent's barn. Fast forward 9 years and I end up buying it back from him! Spent 3 years converting it into a custom cafe.

Also have a 96' Virago 750 that I cafe'd ...and shortly thereafter laid down. whoops

Before...
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

After...
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

...and the Virago
Sky Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank

Registered
2003 Honda RC51 RVT1000R SP-2
Great collection of other bikes here! Here are my others...

86' Ninja 600R turned cafe - This was the first street bike I ever purchased. I rode it for a year or so and sold it to friend after upgrading to a CBR600RR. He rode it for 2 weeks, found out his gf was pregnant, lost the key, and pushed it in the corner of his parent's barn. Fast forward 9 years and I end up buying it back from him! Spent 3 years converting it into a custom cafe.

Also have a 96' Virago 750 that I cafe'd ...and shortly thereafter laid down. whoops

Before...
View attachment 137713

After...
View attachment 137714

...and the Virago
View attachment 137715
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Wheel Vehicle

...just added this to the garage a few weeks ago as well.
2019 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14R
I installed the M4 exhaust and tail tidy last week. Doing the PCV today, and Swingarm spools / frame sliders next week.
Gonna be much nicer riding 2-up on this than the RC that's for sure

Premium Member
A couple of months ago, I posted a few pictures of my most recent new project. An NSR250 build, I'd bought most of the parts & donor bike for (started off as a cheap, but very neglected MC21). and stashed it away for 7 years.

When I started,, the donor bike really was in a shocking state. In the last couple of months during late evenings and the odd day off, I've completely overhauled the engine, including some mild porting, carbs, 2-stroke oil pump, etc. then assembled onto an MC28 frame, complete with single-sided swing arm. The donor bike's engine had leaked oil from several places, so all the oil seals, gaskets, bearings, crank, rings, etc. and original cylinder heads were each replaced.

Motor vehicle Crankset Automotive tire Wheel Tire

The carbs were ultrasound cleaned and assembled with larger 148 main jets (should hopefully be very close to perfect, since they're known to work well with the Tyga exhaust system being used) and all new gaskets, etc. Even the little oil pump was rebuilt with a combination of it's and another's parts, as the original had seized and the previous owner had just run it on pre-mix.

every component has been reconditioned, cleaned, or replaced with a better alternative, where possible.

Wheel Tire Crankset Vehicle Automotive tire

Suspension is Ohlins at the rear, and forks are from an RVF400. They've been fitted with modern cartridges built specifically for my weight, riding style, etc. by Maxton Suspension - a company I've stayed with for decades.
Brakes shall
Be billet Brembos (F&R), with a Brembo RCS19 master at the front, and an OEM CBR600RR at the rear (larger bore than standard NSR250

There鈥檚 a new key cylinder set and switches. Even the original NSR250 MC21 gauges were modified and the needles restored (faces are white, usually). These later MC28鈥檚 had a digital speedometer with a card instead of ignition key, but with the fancy electronics came hard to get around of power restrictions, which is why from the outset I鈥檉 avoided building a full MC28 spec. NSR.
Form AND function.

Lots of work done in cleaning, painting, replacing bolts with titanium or stainless fasteners, working out the exact routing of wiring, cables, etc.

Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Grille Motor vehicle

Last night, I filled the cooling system - then spent some time hunting for minor coolant leaks and curing them. In the next few days, new Tyga stainless expansion chambers and silencers will go on, then the airbox & fuel tank can be fitted.
She'll be treated to fresh fuel (premix at first - an easy way to bleed the rebuilt oil system), and 10W30 oil for the transmission, and hopefully the engine will start for the first time in 7 years, after a few kicks.

Vehicle Automotive design Bumper Wood Automotive exterior

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

Once she runs sweetly, the bodywork will finally be fitted. It was all restored replaced & repainted by Tyga years ago & they did a great job. The front cowl is a GP replica, using the original headlight, and there are discreet carbon fibre accents in the tail cowl, which I can share later.

Just waiting on brake hoses, a matching Brembo underslung rear caliper and some Diablo Super Corsa tyres, some other small pieces, plus a few more parts from Tyga, Then hopefully it'll finally be ready to use.
No rush - maybe I'll have it ready by summer. I'll only want to ride it when it's fully sorted & completed.

Should be a lot of fun. Apparently these feel a lot like RS250 Hondas (Engines are very similar, and the RS250 unit slots straight into the NSR frame) to ride.
This one should be quite a lot better than a standard one, with much improved suspension, brakes and roughly 25% more power.

Have wanted a pukka2-stroke race replica NSR250 MC28 since I first saw one parked in the centre of Tokyo in 1993 during my first visit to Japan. I was gobsmacked then.
I later test rode a then new Aprilia RS250 around 1996, and never forgot how special it felt.
Soon, finally I'll have my own 2-stroke pocket rocket to ride.

[EDIT] Thanks for the interest from those who have commented (ahead). I鈥檒l be sure to post pictures and an update when I have more to share.

Attachments

61 - 80 of 91 Posts