RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time for some tires and I have been weighing out what is really worth buying. I have another Pilot Power front tire to put on and am thinking the Pilot Power 3 for the rear. I NEED to get more mileage out of the rear than I have gotten with a PP. I noticed the RC is rough on rear tire. Has anyone found a tire better than the PP3 within a $150.00 range? I need good side grip for the curves.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
This topic has been covered a few times and is similar to the dangerous and slippery oil question...as it really comes down to a matter of preference.

If you want a tire that lasts longer...you'll want to go more towards the touring type tires...but they you give up grip. The grippier tires will wear faster.

Recently people have mentioned the Dunlops (Q2 or Q3)...and Bridgestone (S20)...but I don't think either of those tires will "last" as long as you might want.

I have Mich's on my bike now (came with it)...and I don't like them near as much as my old Dunlops. However, this tires have some good mileage on them and plenty of tread...but again I don't feel they are as sticky as I want for the track (yes I need to eventually run slicks...).

Good luck, but recommend searching a few threads.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
i just got dunlop q3's for $197 shipped to my door, if you ask me thats as good as it gets

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RC, is that with the $40.00 rebate? Those Q3's look pretty good.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
yup thats after the rebate, cant beat that

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That goes on till the 30th I think. So have you put any miles on them yet? If so, how they do?

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
i havent even mounted em yet, i just bought em cuz they were so cheap

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, get them mounted and test them out already....haha. Two days ago I went somewhere and when i was there I noticed some white thread on the rear in the middle. I had a 20 mile ride back home and 3 miles from the house....GONE. Good thing I was only doing about 30mph.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for that vid. Ok I'm sold. Where did you order yours from?

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
You won't be getting mileage out of Q3's. S20's seem to have the best mileage of the top line high performance category options.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I have been a Michelin man for years, but it pays to shop and get the best...and that changes from year to year.

I wonder too about how the RC puts power down. I will have to stop getting on the power out of curves.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Weyrauch is right. Step down a class and one will get a lot more mileage out of the tires, though at the expense of outright grip.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What about say the S20's compared to the mileage of the PP3's. Maybe a draw?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have been a Michelin man for years, but it pays to shop and get the best...and that changes from year to year.

I wonder too about how the RC puts power down. I will have to stop getting on the power out of curves.
say what?? ive just accepted the fact that the rc is going to eat rear tires. hell, my bandit 1200 wasnt easy on them either. price of admission

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
What about say the S20's compared to the mileage of the PP3's. Maybe a draw?
No, IMO the S20 would have the best mileage of that grouping. The PP would be less, more similar to the Q2 (and Q3 likely, though no one has put much mileage on them).

i wont give up grip, i could care less about tire life. high performance bike. high quality tires.

saving $100-$200 every season just isnt worth not having the extra grip
And most people don't need the extra grip. Most people don't even track. If a person is riding the street to the point where they need the highest performance category of grip they are playing with disaster. That would be knee down territory with aggressive throttle and braking. Or they are a bad rider which isn't good to mask with tires (really rough, not smooth, jerky inputs, poor throttle control, etc).

A higher mileage tire is not a lesser quality tire either.

So while everyone has their own opinion, there is no right or wrong. By all means get the highest grip tires if one wants it and money is no issue. Many people do. But that isn't the case for everyone, and many people don't need the ultimate grip.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Love my PP3s highly recommend them but I'm not racing round tracks and there's a lot of straight roads in Florida. When cheap once on my first bike when I started riding will never do it again, I always buy the most expensive tire I can afford to do the job I want. Good luck in choosing I think I got 8000 miles out of my PP 2CTs

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thanks for that link RC. I like the prices on that site. Still debating...I would like the best of both worlds. I will probably go through 2 sets this year...so I may end up trying two different brands anyway.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts