RC51 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I'm currently looking for a new bike and the 51 is on the short list. I found one that I'm curious if the seller is asking a reasonable price how much I should offer. Stats are a 2001 with 7553 miles. It has Ohlins rear shock, progressive fork springs, sato exhaust, sato rearsets, k&n, and a power commander.

he's asking 4750$ does this sound about right?

thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
whats the condition? pics? if its perfect you could probably get it for 4200.

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
yeah, it looks clean and is tuned nicely....its a fair price but i bet if you show up with cash you can save a few.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I paid $4700 for a bike with 4700 miles and it was is an '03 bone stock,

Even if you start at say $3500 the goodies on the bike add 300 for used rear sets, 500 for the Ohlins and the not available for sale Sato pipes...you be the judge,

If the bike is in good shape, pull the trigger.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Price sounds good... I like many on here picked up a less than perfect project bike for 3 grand!!! With a little tlc, time and patience you have an icon restored!! Either way best of luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I paid $4700 for a bike with 4700 miles and it was is an '03 bone stock,

Even if you start at say $3500 the goodies on the bike add 300 for used rear sets, 500 for the Ohlins and the not available for sale Sato pipes...you be the judge,

If the bike is in good shape, pull the trigger.
I was thinking more around 4k.. the only real mods I think I'd keep would be the Ohlins.. he didnt really specify what he has done to the front end so I'm not sure if there is more work to be done there as well. I'm not crazy about the sato pipes and would prefer the akra or sato banzai pipes. I dont care for the rearsets and would likely have them powder coated black or try to trade them for a black set.

I guess my real question is: Is there enough difference in SP2's to look for an SP2 instead of this pretty clean SP1 with what looks to be a good suspension set up? And does this suspension set up make the price what its listed at? I would likely do new pipes on an SP2 unless it came with the above mentioned, and rearsets are not high on my list of priorities.

on a side note there is a 05 black sp2 with a salvaged title due to theft recovery listed at 3k iirc.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I paid close to what he is asking but my bike only had 2000 miles, came with every factory part, more mods, plus a set of Marvic cast magnesium wheels. Like others have said it's a decent price but not a screaming good deal. I was border line between SP1 vs SP2 and my mind was made up after seeing my bike and the condition it was in compared to the 4 sp2s I looked at as well as the price and the quality mods. The price difference between what my SP1 and a SP2 with similar miles and mods left me with enough money for 2-3 track days each with the bike and my car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I paid close to what he is asking but my bike only had 2000 miles, came with every factory part, more mods, plus a set of Marvic cast magnesium wheels. Like others have said it's a decent price but not a screaming good deal. I was border line between SP1 vs SP2 and my mind was made up after seeing my bike and the condition it was in compared to the 4 sp2s I looked at as well as the price and the quality mods. The price difference between what my SP1 and a SP2 with similar miles and mods left me with enough money for 2-3 track days each with the bike and my car.
yeah, I would jump on a deal like that if it came up.. I missed out on a 06 SP2 in black with full ohlins, banzai's, PC, and a boatload of other mods at the end year last year as at that point I hadn't sold my ZX6R yet... went for 6200 which I would have gladly paid.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hopefully a test ride this weekend! if the weather's nice!!!! i'm excited! :D

just out of curiousity, how long did you all wait to start modding? I know it took me about 2 weeks with my zx...

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
i actually waited quite a bit. at the time i had my R6 and my Aprilia was my big project. i never bought the RC51 with the intention of modding. it was supposed to be my fun daily rider/track bike. after a few months i decided i came to the conclusion it was probably my favorite bike and the most fun to ride so i decided to rebuild it and restore it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts