RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Administrator
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been wanting to get a RC for years, I'm always casually looking at them for sale and found a 2002 with 12K, dual Yosh's, Undertail, Scott's Dampener, tinted screen, never been down. The rear cowl blew off other day, so he said he would let me have it for 4K. Should I keep looking or jump on it? Sounds pretty fair, but not having all that much experience with these, thought I'd get some feedback.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
jondog9 is a Cali resident and this sounds like a decent price for your area...he may come along soon and give you the skinny.;)

GL

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
That sounds like a damn good deal for only 12k mi. Out here, Low milage seems to be more important than it really is and they get over priced. Especially from what I've been seeing lately on CL and Ebay. As long as the bike checks out to close inspection, yeah, that's a very good deal with the goodies it has on it. That's all good stuff. Probably more done to it that you don't know about yet. Like flapper mod and PAIR mod...

·
Administrator
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That sounds like a damn good deal for only 12k mi. Out here, Low milage seems to be more important than it really is and they get over priced. Especially from what I've been seeing lately on CL and Ebay. As long as the bike checks out to close inspection, yeah, that's a very good deal with the goodies it has on it. That's all good stuff. Probably more done to it that you don't know about yet. Like flapper mod and PAIR mod...
Everything I've been seeing has been in the $4500 and up range. Not sure if those mods have been done or not? Anything lower than that has either been dropped, low sided, or has 40k miles on it. I know the guy is pretty picky. I would have to buy a cowl, and there is a small crack about an inch long where the side fairing was overtightened. It's at a place and angle that makes it barely noticeable. Always figured if a good enough deal came along, I would pull the trigger. Just want to make sure. I really like the black ones, but those are way overpriced IMO.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
When you go to look at this bike do the following:

1) Pull the side fairings to check for bent damaged stays.- signs of droppage

2) Coolant leaks.(Stains around the hose connections, on the parts immediately below/around the connections) Hose condition too.

3) Oil leaks-which are rare but happen.

4) Oil condition- look at the sight glass, if it hazed or etched, the oil wasn't changed with great regularity.

5) Brake/hydraulic fluids- cloud-old and needs replaced

6) You are near the first valve adjustment maybe barter a couple hundered off for that.

7) Chain alignment / lash- if its off or loose, the routine adjustments were neglected.

8) Transmission lash- If its sloppy, its been tracked or ridden really hard. You will have to ride to notice this. (Others may chime in here for more detailed diagnosis)

9) BUY THAT BITCH IF ALL OF THIS CHECKS OUT!!!:D

There is another list too if you buy it...;)

·
Administrator
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Appreciate that....I've bought several bikes before, some site unseen, been pretty lucky:). He's a ways away from me, so I'll have to meet him halfway.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Appreciate that....I've bought several bikes before, some site unseen, been pretty lucky:). He's a ways away from me, so I'll have to meet him halfway.
Yeah but have you ever bought an RC51?? Now thats what I call a lucky guy right there :D

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Look closely at the radiator mounts too. Sometimes vibration gets the better of those, but with that low of milage... also give a glance to the single hose on the right side of the bike that goes to the bottom. It looks like an overflow hose, it should show -zero-signs of any leakage. that's the water pump seal inspection hose.

I always just take an allen wrench set, a 10 & 8 mm socket, and a #3 phillip head screwdriver to pull the fairings. And a small flashlight. Believe me, it's worth it to 'look under the hood'. imo.
A brand new rear cowl complete can be had from the dealership for about $100. Brand new oem from a couple online sites, about 75, used and whatever condition, about $50
Also, look for a PowerCommander to match those Yosh's with the proper fuel map on the bike. Should be under the cowl, on top of the bike's ECU.
Offer $3800, see what happens...

·
Administrator
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Administrator
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Look closely at the radiator mounts too. Sometimes vibration gets the better of those, but with that low of milage... also give a glance to the single hose on the right side of the bike that goes to the bottom. It looks like an overflow hose, it should show -zero-signs of any leakage. that's the water pump seal inspection hose.

I always just take an allen wrench set, a 10 & 8 mm socket, and a #3 phillip head screwdriver to pull the fairings. And a small flashlight. Believe me, it's worth it to 'look under the hood'. imo.
A brand new rear cowl complete can be had from the dealership for about $100. Brand new oem from a couple online sites, about 75, used and whatever condition, about $50
Also, look for a PowerCommander to match those Yosh's with the proper fuel map on the bike. Should be under the cowl, on top of the bike's ECU.
Offer $3800, see what happens...
Great advice....don't think he'd go that low. He wouldn't go lower than $4100 until the cowl flew off, so actually it's a wash at $4K. I may hold off. I've never been in a hurry, not gonna now. I have bikes to ride, but at some point I will have me a RC!

·
Registered
188 Posts
That really is a good deal for the area. I am also in central California and I agree with john, low mileage bikes are hard to come by around here. I think you should pick it up if you have the means. Good luck!

·
Administrator
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Really appreciate all the input...can't tell you how many times I've changed my mind both ways!

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
This is just my opinion from buying bikes before, but if you're serious about the RC51, do yourself a favor, get your cash (just in case) and go look and ride the bike. It's fine to ask to do that as long as you have cash to show, and an M1. I think you'll be nothing less than intoxicated with how different and powerful these bikes are. Finding that good of a deal locally is few-and-far between.

·
Registered
575 Posts
make sure the forks dont leak , let it run till the fans come on and look under the bike at that point , but when you go to see the bike , make sure the motor is cold , no pre warm up before you got there , take it for a ride should shift smooth , go through all the gears ,

·
Administrator
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
This is just my opinion from buying bikes before, but if you're serious about the RC51, do yourself a favor, get your cash (just in case) and go look and ride the bike. It's fine to ask to do that as long as you have cash to show, and an M1. I think you'll be nothing less than intoxicated with how different and powerful these bikes are. Finding that good of a deal locally is few-and-far between.
I'll give you a little background, I have been riding for years. Including the bikes I have now, I've owned twelve bikes all together, from sport to dual sports. I currently have a Harley FLHT, a Busa, a Custom Chopper, and a BMW RT1100 Police. I almost bought a RC a few years back right before I bought a 929 that I used to have. I met with the guy, rode it, but decided not to buy it because it was a little more than I could spend, but I loved that bike from the first time it started and never forgot it. In fact, a friend that I took with me that day ended up buying the bike...took me a while to forgive him! Since then, I have always wanted to get one. I have a few guys wanting to buy my BMW, and the only reason why I would think about selling it is if I bought the RC, so it wasn't until recently when I started finding some tempting deals that made me look at going through with it. As you can see, I have been a member for a couple years...so when I found this one, I wanted to get some feedback from those who really know these bikes. Thanks again for all of you taking the time to toss in your .02, it's definately helping me make a decision.:D

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Just caught your membership date. Yes, you have been around for a while, huh? You have more MC experience than me, and definatly more bikes! Im frikk'n jealous :)

Tell you what, ride that RT1100 up here to Sacramento area. You can ride my RC51 on some of the great roads we have around here, then see how long it takes you to "resourse" some fundage for a RC51. The only catch; you'd have to let me ride the 1100, I want to see how the heck those cops always ride sitting perfectly straight up!

·
Administrator
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lol..! I can't belive how comfortable that BMW is, everything is adjustable...heated grips, windshield goes up and down on the fly, cruise control. Not to mention the reaction the bike gets....I've never had so few "close calls" on a bike in my life! Everyone comes to a complete stop, they signal...the only frustrating thing is when they do the speed limit and hold me up....;)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts