RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2001 sp-1

1. upgrade rear shock (found penski from a fellow member at a GREAT price. thanks h8redlights)
2. Corbin seat (yea im a fat ass, and need more padding lol) recovering (forum members came thrue again thanks cobramadness)

this work is being done this week

Next on the list:
!. Front forks either reworked or replaced with something else. They are stock sp-1. LOOKING FOR ADVICE!!! I am on a budget , or I would just order a new set of ohlins. LOL Ok all you gurus out there, help a noob out (if you have something to sell that fits what im looking to do, let me know, Also if you can steer me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated

2. When doing the forks, will be replacing the brake rotors all around. I am looking for good strait (not warped lol) rotors. Let me know what you have

3. Steel braded brake lines. black or chrome in colour

This bike is going to get done a little at a time, but when it is finally done, It is going to be perfect for me....
A lot more is in store for her, but $ is the issue to getting it done all at once.

I am new to the rc51, and am looking for advice on what I can do to make this the most stable bike I can make it.

I picked up a motor out of a 2000 with 6k miles on it, so I will be building it to about 160hp (talked with a builder, and he says for reliability, about 150hp is where I need to go), so I have lowered my expectations some. This will be the last step, as I want to get the bike completely sorted out suspension and brake wise first

·
Premium Member
2,322 Posts
pm sent, ive got a rear stainless brake line (black), a nice Penske adjustable shock setup for 200-220lbs rider and maybe some other bits you might be interested in

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

I have been contacted by a few members with a couple things I am looking for, and I have deals pending on rear shock, and corbin seat. Thanks for the great deals guys.

Still looking for the rest of the stuff, so if you have any of them let me know

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Get your braided clutch line from Mike at DanKyleUSA. Best to call and ask for Mike. That's what I did, he sent me a Spiegler line for a good price. He may also have some ideas for you about your horsepower build. He knows these bikes inside and out.

Bud Anderson is another RC51 guru. He's raced a few of them, and he's got a ton of knowledge about them. I met him at Thunderhill, he's a real cool guy. You can find him on Facebook.

And of course, this forum has a few top gurus too!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Get your braided clutch line from Mike at DanKyleUSA. Best to call and ask for Mike. That's what I did, he sent me a Spiegler line for a good price. He may also have some ideas for you about your horsepower build. He knows these bikes inside and out.

Bud Anderson is another RC51 guru. He's raced a few of them, and he's got a ton of knowledge about them. I met him at Thunderhill, he's a real cool guy. You can find him on Facebook.

And of course, this forum has a few top gurus too!
Thanks, I will defanitly get in touch with them.

This is a great forum. Some of them are really dead, in here it seems like there are a good group of people. "My new favorite people, are those who ride Rc51's

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Thanks, I will defanitly get in touch with them.

This is a great forum. Some of them are really dead, in here it seems like there are a good group of people. "My new favorite people, are those who ride Rc51's
FWIW... 160 HP is not happening,but the good news is no matter how much horsepower you end up with if you find the right tuner or go with a pc5 again from Mike @ DK these engines run so fvggin smoooth and pull like tug of war with a rhinoceros:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
hp

FWIW... 160 HP is not happening,but the good news is no matter how much horsepower you end up with if you find the right tuner or go with a pc5 again from Mike @ DK these engines run so fvggin smoooth and pull like tug of war with a rhinoceros:D:D:D:D
from what im reading HRC was getting 180-200 hp out of this motor. I was thinking 160 shouldn't be too difficult. Looks like I will be doing more homework tonite. LOL

Working on getting my CMRA lic. thisseason, and The Rc will be ready willing and able for my first race. Even if I have to take out a 2nd mortgage. LOL (why some fat dude whos 43 has got the bug to race late in life? Still figuring it out myself)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
from what im reading HRC was getting 180-200 hp out of this motor. I was thinking 160 shouldn't be too difficult. Looks like I will be doing more homework tonite. LOL

Working on getting my CMRA lic. thisseason, and The Rc will be ready willing and able for my first race. Even if I have to take out a 2nd mortgage. LOL (why some fat dude whos 43 has got the bug to race late in life? Still figuring it out myself)
I did my first race (and a podium finish) on my RC when I was 45 :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
The HRC bike was basically a completely different bike. Our bikes share nothing but looks. The HRC complete racer was putting out around 170 if i remember correctly. That bike had a different crank, pistons, valvetrain, cams, Throttle bodies, exhaust, airbox/snorkel ECU....etc. The complete racer also sold for over 100,000 USD.
Now those parts are unobtainium. A few guys are lucky to have a few bits and pieces here and there, but they are expensive and the HRC stuff is a trap. In most cases you will need more then one part to make something work correctly (TB's for example require the complete harness, ECU, ECU tuner, Sensors, injectors, fuel pressure regulator to go with it). A full exhaust system will cost you anywhere from 1500-3500. Stage 2 cams will run you over 1000 and require a different valvetrain which is another 2000 if you can even find one.

Is it impossible? No, but it's going to take you a very long time to source the parts and cost you a lot of money for a one off motor that may never be able to be rebuilt if damaged.

Start a thread if you decide to do it. i'd be very interested.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The HRC bike was basically a completely different bike. Our bikes share nothing but looks. The HRC complete racer was putting out around 170 if i remember correctly. That bike had a different crank, pistons, valvetrain, cams, Throttle bodies, exhaust, airbox/snorkel ECU....etc. The complete racer also sold for over 100,000 USD.
Now those parts are unobtainium. A few guys are lucky to have a few bits and pieces here and there, but they are expensive and the HRC stuff is a trap. In most cases you will need more then one part to make something work correctly (TB's for example require the complete harness, ECU, ECU tuner, Sensors, injectors, fuel pressure regulator to go with it). A full exhaust system will cost you anywhere from 1500-3500. Stage 2 cams will run you over 1000 and require a different valvetrain which is another 2000 if you can even find one.

Is it impossible? No, but it's going to take you a very long time to source the parts and cost you a lot of money for a one off motor that may never be able to be rebuilt if damaged.

Start a thread if you decide to do it. i'd be very interested.
Damn, I would have to take out a second mortgage. Guess I will have to set me expectation for hp/torque a little lower. More to come after I do some more research

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
???

2001 RC51 engine, 13K miles, was assembled by a guy at Erion, has stage two Erion cams ( I think these are just Mori copies) Ti Valve retainers and different springs, HRC STD. Bore pistons (not sure the CR 12:1 maybe?)
Has the silencing gears removed, has 2003 Throttle bodies/injection setup, also has a 02 up spacer in the rear engine mount as this bike had a later model swingarm (bike was pretty much setup as an SP2) Mapped to run on U4, I can supply some different maps that were made for this engine, it makes anywhere from 139 -141 HP at the wheel on a DynoJet 250, I have a couple different dyno charts for this engine. Besides what I mentioned engine is otherwise stock, only has a few races and practice days on it with the upgrades, rest were street miles, should be very reliable.

Give me a reasonable offer and you can have it, would rather not ship but I can (In California will be easier) I should have it pulled out by this weekend.

EDIT: also has a Barnett clutch and springs!

something like that mite put a smile on my face without killing my wallet

·
Premium Member
2,322 Posts
it might also put a frown on your face and murder your wallet when it blows up after 200 miles.:p

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
if it's a reasonable price it sounds like it would be fun and pretty close to as good as it gets.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Ok, I'm thinking instead of putting all that money into chasing hp and torque, for about the same money ~ start with some wheels: carbon, mags, whatever. Then Ohlins triple clicker shock, some insanely pricey Ohlins FGxxxx forks. Add LBP full gp exhaust. I think I saw Simon has one more full system HRC replica. And of course, a PCV with autotune, throw in a quick shifter, and serious Dyno tuning. Oh, and race skins.

There's my dream RC51. And it can be built today, most parts readily available, except the forks -they're a little harder to find. I figure it would cost about $12K to $14K.

·
Premium Member
2,322 Posts
ive got this left

last of my stuff, stainless brake line etc? let me know ill make you a great deal

50mm adjustable clip ons-$75
OEM service manual-$60
Carbon fiber triple tree cover sp2-$25
Lockhart Phillips leather tank bra-$30
Stainless rear brake line black-$25
+3mm rear shock ride height shim-$50
Sato banzai hangers-$75
Sp2 Vcowl-$40
05/06 OEM front fender 3/4 tabs in tact-$100
Sp2 airbox-$20
7 stars decal kit-$40

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
2001 sp-1

Being done this week
1. upgrade rear shock (found penski from a fellow member at a GREAT price. thanks h8redlights)
2. Corbin seat (yea im a fat ass, and need more padding lol) recovering (forum members came thrue again thanks cobramadness)
3. Valve adjustment
4. dyno map (yes I will share the map for an sp-1 with full sato high mount exhaust
5. flapper, and soft rev done

Next on the list:
!. Front forks either reworked or replaced with something else. They are stock sp-1. LOOKING FOR ADVICE!!! I am on a budget , or I would just order a new set of ohlins. LOL Ok all you gurus out there, help a noob out (if you have something to sell that fits what im looking to do, let me know, Also if you can steer me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated

2. When doing the forks, will be replacing the brake rotors all around. I am looking for good strait (not warped lol) rotors. Let me know what you have

3. Steel braded brake lines. black or chrome in colour

This bike is going to get done a little at a time, but when it is finally done, It is going to be perfect for me....
A lot more is in store for her, but $ is the issue to getting it done all at once.

I am new to the rc51, and am looking for advice on what I can do to make this the most stable bike I can make it.

I picked up a motor out of a 2000 with 6k miles on it, so I will be building it to about 160hp (talked with a builder, and he says for reliability, about 150hp is where I need to go), so I have lowered my expectations some. This will be the last step, as I want to get the bike completely sorted out suspension and brake wise first
updated my post, if you can help with parts or advice, I would appreciate it. Dave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts