RC51 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a spare motor that is completely disassembled. I have most of the parts to put it back together with a few cool bits to throw in. But I want someone who knows their way around the RC motor to put it back together for me. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
Evan Steel Performance. Not Cali, but not far. Evan is probably the only one that has really messed with RC51 motors in the last few years.

·
Registered
485 Posts
^^ This is the truth. Evan Steel just completed my RC51 engine build and I am going to have him build me another one as well as a rvf400 engine. He knows his way around these engines and I did years of research before I entrusted him to do the work.

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
a good engine builder is a good engine builder. plain and simple. organization and attention to detail is about all a good engine builder needs. The really good builders specialize in a couple of platforms and have learned a couple of tricks along the way.

Yea you could probably get a good LS Corvette shop to re-build a Porsche motor just fine....but the Porsche guys will know some tricks the LS guys dont and visa versa.

they key here is you are looking for specialization. Not many engine builders have recent relevant experience with parts/resources that are still available for this platform. Evan does.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey guys, what did you guys do in your motor/engine? What mods and the cost of the build? Thanks.

Tristan

·
Premium Member
2,402 Posts
anything outside of a port/polish on the heads and high compression pistons is rare these days.

cams arent really available easily as are most of the other parts.

its just not really worth it to build an RC51 motor that much, the gains are minimal for the $$$$$$$$$ it costs.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, in my case that's about what I have done. Heads were sent to Horde, balanced the crank, pistons and rods and have higher compression pistons. I'm going with OEM cams and valves. I'm hoping for a bullet proof motor that will last for ever!

·
Registered
87 Posts
^^ This is the truth. Evan Steel just completed my RC51 engine build and I am going to have him build me another one as well as a rvf400 engine. He knows his way around these engines and I did years of research before I entrusted him to do the work.
Where is this Evan guy located ?

·
Registered
485 Posts
esp Call Web Cams and ask for Faith... She can help with the cams ;)
I would say that its going to cost at least 6 grand to have a motor built with the best parts. I was shocked that it cost quite a bit more than my dart block based 427 (ford 427) shortblock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts