RC51 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy an 02" RC51 with 27k miles on it and am wondering what anybody has to say about it. Good thing to do or should I get one with less miles on it? Thank you

·
Registered
8 Posts
what is the asking price and aftermarket components on it? Keep in mind if the bike has been taken care of it will easily hit 100k with very minimal problems. I know a few members here have high mileage on their bikes and have never had any issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The guy is asking 4500 for it and it has jardine exhaust with a power commander but that is it. thank you for the input.

what is the asking price and aftermarket components on it? Keep in mind if the bike has been taken care of it will easily hit 100k with very minimal problems. I know a few members here have high mileage on their bikes and have never had any issues.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
27,000 should be closer to $3700...imo

·
Registered
26 Posts
Prices fluctuate locally. California, for instance, has much higher resale prices for motorcycles. I've seen late model RC51's going for upwards of $7,000 even with 10K or more miles. 27K miles on the clock is considerable wear and tear. The other thing to consider is that $4.5K is the asking price. If the bike is clean (no leaks, no cosmetic damage, never been dropped or raced), and has had a recent full service and has new tires, chain, etc., it might be a good buy. Since it's asking price, you can try to counter to get where you want.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That price seems a hair hi to me. As far as the mileage goes, my RC has just over 30k and is in tip top running condition! So, I wouldn't worry too much about the miles, but be sure to keep up on the services and what not!

·
Registered
53 Posts
+1 on the location. Places with year-round riding weather tend to have higher prices.
Don't worry about the mileage as long as the bike was properly maintained.
Price should probably be a bit lower IMO.

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
How many owners has it had in those 27,000 miles? If it is the original owner, then it was probably taken care of. If it has been passed around, and doesn't have the original bodywork, it has probably been abused at some point in its life. I would offer him $2500 or $3000 tops. The bottom line is that it is an eleven year old bike with 30k on the clock. Think about what a CBR of the same vintage/miles would go for.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the input and information. Unfortunatly the guy sold the bike already. I am still looking for one if any of you know of one that might be avaliable. Thank you

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
There's one in Rui, has some nice mods. He wants a bit much but you should be able to talk him down to a "normal" price. Maybe $4500-5000?

http://lascruces.en.craigslist.org/mcy/2968388983.html

I'll keep you posted if any of the 4-5 RC's in EP go up for sale...you can count mine out;)

PS I'll be in Rui on the 18th (rally) if you want to go jump the guy (with cash in hand of course,lol)

·
Registered
143 Posts
If around the NE you find 5 of them within 4000mi and it would cost you 0.50 r/t $2000 to get one and if in the midW you find 4 within 2000mi and 2 in NW 1500mi and 3 in SW at 1000mi this is something you factor in the price.
Imagine though you found a cheap one in Maine and went there with a van and it was messed up, compared to the one in AZ that was $1000 more!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yeah I talked to the guy this weekend and he wants almost 6k for it and really wont come down to what I think it should be(4500-5000) from all the advice I have received on here. Oh well

There's one in Rui, has some nice mods. He wants a bit much but you should be able to talk him down to a "normal" price. Maybe $4500-5000?

http://lascruces.en.craigslist.org/mcy/2968388983.html

I'll keep you posted if any of the 4-5 RC's in EP go up for sale...you can count mine out;)

PS I'll be in Rui on the 18th (rally) if you want to go jump the guy (with cash in hand of course,lol)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts