RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have some cash burning a hole in my pocket and am looking for an used RC. I found a 00 with 31,xxx miles that looks like it is in good condition. Should this amount of miles concern me?

Thanks,

trogdor

·
Registered
61 Posts
There's alot to consider here. For example, 31k is alot, however the bike is almost 10 years old, about 3k a year. I think average is 2k a year. So it was ridden alot (obviously), more importantly, how was it maintained? Check, hoses, oil, filters, cables, etc. Does the seller have any documentation? and lastly, compare all that to what you want it for. What are your plans for it? Its a balancing act really. Trust me when I say, there are great deals out there, and some really nice bikes out there too. For example, i got a 2001 RC, with 1300 miles on it, thats right 13 HUNDRED, and it was bought brand new, shipped ina box from honda in 2008, and i paid $6900. On top of being a dram bike for me, it was a steal. I looked and looked until i found the perfect bike. take your time.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
502 Posts
There's alot to consider here. For example, 31k is alot, however the bike is almost 10 years old, about 3k a year. I think average is 2k a year. So it was ridden alot (obviously), more importantly, how was it maintained? Check, hoses, oil, filters, cables, etc. Does the seller have any documentation? and lastly, compare all that to what you want it for. What are your plans for it? Its a balancing act really. Trust me when I say, there are great deals out there, and some really nice bikes out there too. For example, i got a 2001 RC, with 1300 miles on it, thats right 13 HUNDRED, and it was bought brand new, shipped ina box from honda in 2008, and i paid $6900. On top of being a dram bike for me, it was a steal. I looked and looked until i found the perfect bike. take your time.

Good luck with your search.
I agree. There are a lot of good deals to find if you are patient. Also there are lower mileage RC's out there to be had. Depending on your budget! Happy hunting. Check the for sale section here. And dare I say to check Ebay!

·
Registered
61 Posts
And dont be afraid to travel to get it, if you really want it. I traveled a few hundred miles to get mine. Theres a way to search ALL of craigslist, i think its crazedlist.com?

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
I paid more for my '02 mainly because it came with Marchesini wheels, an Ohlins shock, and a Scotts steering damper.
I basically bought the toys and got the bikes for free (relatively speaking).
So there are buys out there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well it looks like I am going to get this one with 31k. Excellent condition, sato exhaust,dan kyle power commander, radiator fins, double bubble screen, galfer braided front lines, hot bodies undertail, 520 conversion, sato frame sliders and almost new rubber. Some minor rash on the mid pipe on on side, but am being told they pipes were purchased that way used. $3800 doesnt seem to bad to me. Ill have to drive 400 miles round trip but it isnt a big deal. The RC's for sale locally are way overpriced.

Primarily looking for a weekend bike to ride and at this point I cant be too picky. My wife is 6 months pregnant and she is actually supportive of me buying another bike. I really want a nice SP2 but I am not going to risk the wrath of a pregnant woman.:eek:

Am I being too impatient? I found a bad ass SP2 nearby with all the upgrades at 16k miles, but at over 6k there is no way the CFO will approve that.

I am hoping on getting a 06 next summer so that will be the grail bike. This one will be filling the void of not having a bike for the last five years.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only mods I plan on getting next will be a steering damper, LED front turn signals (hate the stock looking ones), crg levers, HID headlights and a rear hugger.

Sound good?

·
Premium Member
6,481 Posts
Well it looks like I am going to get this one with 31k. Excellent condition, sato exhaust,dan kyle power commander, radiator fins, double bubble screen, galfer braided front lines, hot bodies undertail, 520 conversion, sato frame sliders and almost new rubber. Some minor rash on the mid pipe on on side, but am being told they pipes were purchased that way used. $3800 doesnt seem to bad to me. Ill have to drive 400 miles round trip but it isnt a big deal. The RC's for sale locally are way overpriced.

Primarily looking for a weekend bike to ride and at this point I cant be too picky. My wife is 6 months pregnant and she is actually supportive of me buying another bike. I really want a nice SP2 but I am not going to risk the wrath of a pregnant woman.:eek:

Am I being too impatient? I found a bad ass SP2 nearby with all the upgrades at 16k miles, but at over 6k there is no way the CFO will approve that.

I am hoping on getting a 06 next summer so that will be the grail bike. This one will be filling the void of not having a bike for the last five years.
I did it the easy way.
I waited until my wife when up north the visit her family.
Now she's afraid to go up north again because I might buy yet another bike. :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought of that as well but I am not going to push my luck as I just bought a fully modded Ford Lightning as well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
It sounds to me like your being impatient. I would hold off if i was in your shoes. I think you can find better. The bike sounds heavily modded, and heavily ridden. With you havign to drive to get it etc, the cost goes up, plus all the work it may need, once you get it hoem and give it a REAL once over, and ride it etc, your 3800 hindred dollar purchase, is actually a 5800 purchase, and for that, you can find a nicer bike. Personally, iam VERY impatient too, but the wait is WELL worth it, if you can do it. Do what you want, just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
73 Posts
10,000 miles is my limit on getting a used bike. every time i buy a bike i know my wife won't put up with another purchase for at least three years.

luckily i found my '03 last year with only 5200 miles on it. already had a pcIII and two brothers on it plus a new set of pilot powers and pazzo levers. $5400from a motivated seller 52 miles away. lucky!

31000 miles is alot, i think. the rc isn't a commuter bike, it's very focused. people tend to ride them hard if for no other reason than to get that sweet roar at the upper rev range. be careful...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I purchased the bike and am very happy! The drive to San Francisco was long, but it was worth it! It needs a few things, as the blinkers in the Hot Bodies undertail are not all that bright but overall it is in great condition. Man I love the sound of the Sato's!

I ll post some pics soon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here are some pics.

Does anyone know where to buy brighter lights for the undertail?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
73 Posts
rumbleconcepts has a real nice looking undertray with some sweet signals, very bright but not too bright leds. i'm getting them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts