RC51 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks..... I just prefer the look of high mounts and thought if I buy a set a cans that I like but were low mounts I could convert them to high mounts.
I'm not looking to buy an RC because it is the most powerful but because I think it is about the sexiest looking bike ever so I can deal with a couple HP loss.

·
Registered
265 Posts
It's would work out better if you find your mid pipes first , and if they don't have decent cans , THEN get cans of the correct diameter to fit. There's no sense buying cans first that may end up not being usable. Not all brands of mid pipes and cans are interchangeable due to different diameters.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent info, that's what I needed to know. I wouldn't have thought the pipes would be different diameter.
Thanks

·
Registered
265 Posts
I recently replaced a set of Jardine's for Ladybird's , the outside diameter of the Jardine mid pipes are 50mm and the Ladybird's are 60mm , the insides diameters of the cans are 50 and 60mm respectively.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Some cans that are designed for lowmount, like Sato, are considerably longer than the high mount version.* By as much as 100mm's. Not to mention the issue of making sure the canister inlet matches the midpipe outlet. Although there are many adapters available to make some of the more popular brands mate up. You'll need to do your due diligence.

*The longer the canister, the more tolerable the noise level, and the better it is at getting the noise away from you and your bike as you're riding. My Sato lowmounts are about 450mm's long. I believe the Sato high mount or bonzai is about 350mm's long. Someone please correct me If I'm wrong.

·
Registered
265 Posts
That's because that big S bend of the high mounts takes up some length , unless someone doesn't mind the pipes sticking out past the tail of the bike. Cans can also easily be shortened.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts