RC51 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Interesting to see the crank and cams. Looks like a big bang (360 deg) firing order and the cams look like roller lobes but using bucket tappets. Not what I expected on the cam. Gear driven cams too, gotta love it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm not saying that this bike just isn't the tits. But it has absolutely no effect on Honda's core motorcycle business. The wasted R&D dollars could have been put into a more mainstream product that would have driven revenue streams 100 times larger than this bike will ever do. Great we have a $180,000 limited collectors piece and the NM4. But we are still on a rebadged 2007 CBR600 and 2008 CBR1K not to mention a 2001 GL1800. I wish Honda would see the big picture and make products that "people" can and will actually buy.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The NM4... I have never actually seen one on the street. And i have seen a Desmo RR and a yzr500 on the street...

BUT, Honda did give us the Africa twin surprisingly.
Seriously though. I think we will see some of the stuff in the rc213 in some street bikes in the near future. Probably in the bike mentioned above that will be in the growing 20k group...

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Yeah, I believe Honda is capitalizing on the R&D they already spent in MotoGP and other racing endeavors when designing this bike.

Honda does as it pleases, especially when it comes to special bikes. I am just happy to see it, no matter how expensive it is.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yeah, I believe Honda is capitalizing on the R&D they already spent in MotoGP and other racing endeavors when designing this bike.

Honda does as it pleases, especially when it comes to special bikes. I am just happy to see it, no matter how expensive it is.
That's the issue. As a Honda dealer we have to put up with whatever they decide is going to be the next big thing. Unfortunately with a shrinking rider population when it comes to cruisers and tourers it's been a losing proposition lately. The smaller line of CBR's have been great to try and bring new riders into the fold, but millennials aren't into motorcycling like gen x was. Again I'm not discounting the cache level of the 213 I just think the money would have been Better spent on a new gen of super sports for the public.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Quizzy you have a different and valid point of view.

I remember there being stand alone dealerships, meaning they only sold one brand.

Now that trend has changed due to economics and the reasons you mention. Some brand choose to offer their innovative products to all of the customer base, while others do not.

As a Honda aficionado and indirect employee, I have learned its their way of doing business. (Quite successfully too) While some brand jump into new technologies, Honda is waiting pool side only occasionally dipping in their toes to test the market regarding new technology.

Millennials are a generation that is going to look for the easy way as long as its through technology. (Trust me, I live with one!)

Motorcycles are work to ride and own, which is why they really do not appeal to the average youth. On occasion you will get the right thinking parents to kick their kids outdoors and introduce them to motorcycling. That is really all you can hope for at this point.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Millennials are a generation that is going to look for the easy way as long as its through technology. (Trust me, I live with one!)

Motorcycles are work to ride and own, which is why they really do not appeal to the average youth. On occasion you will get the right thinking parents to kick their kids outdoors and introduce them to motorcycling. That is really all you can hope for at this point.

+1 They are missing out on the finer things in life.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Quizzy you have a different and valid point of view.

I remember there being stand alone dealerships, meaning they only sold one brand.

Now that trend has changed due to economics and the reasons you mention. Some brand choose to offer their innovative products to all of the customer base, while others do not.

As a Honda aficionado and indirect employee, I have learned its their way of doing business. (Quite successfully too) While some brand jump into new technologies, Honda is waiting pool side only occasionally dipping in their toes to test the market regarding new technology.

I have three millennials under the roof now. All three ride! I agree that parents have neglected bringing new riders into the foray over the past decade. I can report that there was a nice uptick this past holiday season in youth models. Hopefully that will translate into more riders in the not too distant future. No doubt the recession of 2008 and the one looming now played a part in the downturn of the motorcycle business as a whole.

I do disagree about Honda waiting to bring new tech to the industry. The new DCT transmissions are way ahead of their time. They truly are very very cool pieces of tech that is a pure result on Honda's racing R&D. However a lot of the R&D dollars have been focused on new segments and sub-segments. The new Side by Side lineup from Honda is amazing. I'm glad to see that they are now a serious player in that market.

That being said in 2007 there were basically 3 sport bike model offerings from Honda. The CBR600, 1000, and the VFR. Today there are literally a dozen. The CBR300, CB300F, CBR500R-F-X, The CBR650, CBR600RR, VFR800, CB1000R and the CBR1KRR and some say the NC700 variants can go in there too. Not too mention an ABS option for each one as well. All that choice in such a small segment has basically confused consumers. There is now too much choice. We see it everyday.

So all Honda has done is replaced CBR600 and 1000 sales with these new "value" models that have no markup and no residual value. So when Customer X wants to trade in his bike he just financed for $0 down 6 months later and he owes $4k more than its worth, he gets discouraged and turned off from motorcycles for good. This cycle is very very dangerous. Not too mention there is now a healthy supply of used "value" models that can be had for half the cost of a new one.

So I would love to see Honda get back to it's "core" business. Making the BEST models in each segment that still represents a great market share. They haven't been the BEST for quite some time now. The fact WE come to this site everyday and still drool over a bike that hasn't been produced in over a decade just hammers home my point. There will never be a RC213V-S forums like this one, zilla, or .org. Ever.

Sorry for the rant. I'll hop off the soap box. Thanks for listening.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I consider the new DCT transmissions and advanced enhancement they offered back in the 1970's (a.k.a. Hondamatic) and perfected through the producing them in off road vehicles.

It was a matter of time to go from gears to belts to electronically controlling hydraulics to make a smoother transmission platform.

Keep them Millennials riding, they will be a rare breed.....until they reach their 40's :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hey now, i am technically a Millennial... Born in 1988. However i think there are really two group. Those who grew up more or less traditionally. I.E no social media, and those that grew up on social media something besides forums i have very little love for, the kids who are in college now. I work at a university and i have seen a drastic change in the students coming in over probably the last 4 years or so. These kids astounded me with with how little they know about general life things. One the other day did not even know what a landfill was had no i idea where trash went when they picked it up. A freshman in college this is just astounding to me.... I was fortunate enough to grow up with bikes and building engines and racing so i may have a better understanding than most but the general lack of general knowledge about anything mechanical is really crazy to me. Sorry rant over.

I love this picture though. Pretty much sums it up.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts