RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just keeping an eye on the sepang test times and seeing how talented that kid is! Did a 21 lap simulation and 14 laps under circuit record. Only ridden the thing a handful of times. Love the pics of his leathers on twitter the elbow sliders almost worn thru! Haha. I think this year is gonna be one of the best ever in moto gp and seeing this kid grow and be a major pain in the ass for the others will be awesome!

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
He certainly has potential. I'm looking forward to this year too, not least as Rossi is back on a competitive bike with a burning will to win another title, after 2 years of not having a decent bike with proper factory support. Shame for the Italians!
He's already not too far off the pace despite not having ridden the Yamaha fo 2 years. Meanwhile Pedrosa & Lorenzo are at the peak of their careers and although they know Rossi's ambitions, will do everything they can to stop him. There's going to be some good battles. Marquez might be in a similar mould to Simoncelli, but more competitive & on a factory bike. Roll on April's first race!

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
He looks so freaking young! Like 15 years old. :D
Rossi is feeling pretty good too on the M1. I think it'll be interesting to watch him this year, cause for sure he's got something to prove now. Throw in a new and fast Marquez, along with Pedrosa and Lorenzo: I think you're right, should be an exciting year.
Bautista is my favorite underdog, but I don't look for him to be keeping time with the factory bikes.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Moto GP needs excitement like this to bring back the crowds and it needs personalities at the forefront to attract viewership. So we'll see... The ingredients are there this year it seems!

Missed out last year as my friend's baby had recently been born & his parents, etc. were over - but we intend to be there at Motegi this year. It's not too far from Tokyo & quite a nice ride up. Riding back's not as much fun, having to filter through thousands of bikes that just sit in traffic for hours - but no pain no gain, as they say!

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Will be interesting for sure, with Rossi back at home on the M1. I will be hoping for Pedrosa myself.... I was a Stoner fan but now he has gone to the V8 supercars to try his hand there. I will be following that as well...pretty cool series to watch.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think pedrosa is going to be one of those guys that never wins the title. He's got a few tracks he struggles at where Rossi,Lorenzo seem to be good everywhere. I think Marquez will have an exciting year to watch but I think he's gonna throw it down plenty. Like his first year in moto 2. But will come on strong mid season on. Once the green flag drops Rossi is gonna be fighting for wins. I think Lorenzo will win the battle this year.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha I love guy Martin. I cannot understand that guy when he's all jacked up after a race and jones'n for a pint of tea haha.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
I just hope no one gets injuries that take them out of any races. That's what really screwed Stoner last year.
Yup... The injuries are tough to come back from. Stoner had a rough one... That is another reason he left, lack of caring. After Simoncelli's accident he said a month later no one cared and acted as if it never happened:(. Simoncelli was a great loss, great rider.
Haha I love guy Martin. I cannot understand that guy when he's all jacked up after a race and jones'n for a pint of tea haha.
It's just the guys trademark man, Big cup'o tea:D. I love his accent, so hard to understand when he's excited !!!:D:)

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
To be fair, although deaths are rare in Moto GP and it caused the race to be stopped - when there's a death in the TT, the racing goes on once the aftermath is cleared up and it's usually a lot more messy. There was a lot of mourning for Simoncelli, but the racing also needed to continue.
High level bike racing's dangerous and people who do it know there's a strong risk of getting badly hurt or worse. It is what it is.

It wasn't just Simoncelli's death - an number of things upset Stoner, not least the fame. He wasn't that much of a limelight person from the beginning anyway, a quiet guy who lived to race. But having a kid makes you change too. You could always tell there was a strong connection between he & Daniella, so once the baby was born - his focus wasn't 100%. But there's no doubt Stoner was one of the most tallented bike riders of the last decade - his history of how he started out in the UK living in a small van with his parents whilst going to race meets on a shoestring, beating everybody else - often on inferior bikes with damaged frames, etc. then getting on his hands & knees to spanner his onw machines immediately after the end of races are things that made him able to ride bikes & win with them . Similar if not inferior bikes that others have had difficulty mastering.

Rossi has a lot of reasons to want to win this year, not least the memory of his friend Simoncelli. He'll want to do it for him, his career reputation and for his own happiness and he's capable. Sometimes it's the most hungry guy that gets there first...

As for Guy Martin, everybody loves a great character in racing and so a lot of people want to see him win. Maybe it'll be this year, but he's competing against some tough to beat & very experienced adversaries! Perhaps it'll never happen, but it'll be fun watching & seeing how close he'll get.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
You can put subtitles under Guy and still not understand him, he's just great though. One of mah favs too

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
You 'ave ta 'ave lived in England a long time to understand dem northerners. It ain't the queen's English. :D

But aren't we getting side tracked here? Marques & Martin don't race anywhere near each other! LOL.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Yeah, I'll agree with you Stig.....Having my two sons has really changed me. I used to be some what careless with my riding habits, now I find I am ever so careful as to not have any incidents, we ALL know what comes hand in hand with the sport/hobby of riding motorcycles. It is a love I have had since the first motorcycle show my father took me to...I have a pic of me sitting on his gas tank there at that show...I was only 2 1/2 years old. I do not remember the day but I have been told by him and my mother that is when it started for me with bikes. I hope to share my passion for bikes with my two boys and I also hope to be around long enough to see them grow up into fine men, this is my reason for "slowing" down when it comes to the bike....more a hobby thing and time to myself to tinker. But do not get me wrong I still love riding the thing for what it's worth out of a corner... I understand fully well why Stoner has had to move on... Kids change everything.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
I'm the same, Duckhunter. Got 2 little ones and a lovely wife...

Can't blame riders like Rossi & Martin not wanting family or kids. It's a (great! :D) burden!

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
During the 800 era, the main cause of the injuries was due to the required riding style demanded by the bikes and tires.
The 800s were essentially big 250s, and had to be ridden as such to maintain their pace.
Unlike the 990s, the 800s didn't have the torque to enable squaring off the turns and accelerate out with the bike lifted up and onto the main contact patch.

The 800s had to use corner speed and trail braking entirely, similar to a 250.
Couple that with a harder front and rear tire required by the rules, and the braking force needed to conform the tire to increase the contact patch while at lean angle was a recipe for disaster.

The number of low sides, high sides, and all around injuries rapidly ramped up.
When the 800s were retired in favor of the 1000s, everyone was assuming the 990 riding style would return. But that was not the case.

Because of the extensive use of electronic aids, the 1000s are just bigger 800s.
The riding style is still the same, but with a slightly softer tire designed after Simoncelli's death to try and provide more side grip at lean.
Racers have always ridden at the limit, but that limit is quite narrow these days.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
To be fair, although deaths are rare in Moto GP and it caused the race to be stopped - when there's a death in the TT, the racing goes on once the aftermath is cleared up and it's usually a lot more messy. There was a lot of mourning for Simoncelli, but the racing also needed to continue.
High level bike racing's dangerous and people who do it know there's a strong risk of getting badly hurt or worse. It is what it is.

It wasn't just Simoncelli's death - an number of things upset Stoner, not least the fame. He wasn't that much of a limelight person from the beginning anyway, a quiet guy who lived to race. But having a kid makes you change too. You could always tell there was a strong connection between he & Daniella, so once the baby was born - his focus wasn't 100%. But there's no doubt Stoner was one of the most tallented bike riders of the last decade - his history of how he started out in the UK living in a small van with his parents whilst going to race meets on a shoestring, beating everybody else - often on inferior bikes with damaged frames, etc. then getting on his hands & knees to spanner his onw machines immediately after the end of races are things that made him able to ride bikes & win with them . Similar if not inferior bikes that others have had difficulty mastering.

Rossi has a lot of reasons to want to win this year, not least the memory of his friend Simoncelli. He'll want to do it for him, his career reputation and for his own happiness and he's capable. Sometimes it's the most hungry guy that gets there first...

As for Guy Martin, everybody loves a great character in racing and so a lot of people want to see him win. Maybe it'll be this year, but he's competing against some tough to beat & very experienced adversaries! Perhaps it'll never happen, but it'll be fun watching & seeing how close he'll get.
I had no idea about Stoner's past. That's pretty cool, thanks for posting that.
I feel like Stoner would have won the championship last year if not for his injury. He sure manned-up and raced anyway before his team/doctors insisted he stay out to heal. That said something to me of his dedication.

During the 800 era, the main cause of the injuries was due to the required riding style demanded by the bikes and tires.
The 800s were essentially big 250s, and had to be ridden as such to maintain their pace.
Unlike the 990s, the 800s didn't have the torque to enable squaring off the turns and accelerate out with the bike lifted up and onto the main contact patch.

The 800s had to use corner speed and trail braking entirely, similar to a 250.
Couple that with a harder front and rear tire required by the rules, and the braking force needed to conform the tire to increase the contact patch while at lean angle was a recipe for disaster.

The number of low sides, high sides, and all around injuries rapidly ramped up.
When the 800s were retired in favor of the 1000s, everyone was assuming the 990 riding style would return. But that was not the case.

Because of the extensive use of electronic aids, the 1000s are just bigger 800s.
The riding style is still the same, but with a slightly softer tire designed after Simoncelli's death to try and provide more side grip at lean.
Racers have always ridden at the limit, but that limit is quite narrow these days.
Always love the technical info you bring to the topics SubSailor. :)
I was watching one of the many TT race clips I've been posting on my FB lately, and caught a IOM TT fact: there's only been 3 races in the history of IOM TT that went without major incident/crash.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I got to get in on this.

Marquez is looking good for sure but he's still trying to figure out how to ride the bike. I suspect he'll come out on fire but lay it down and not really be a threat for the championship.

First day out and Rossi is in 4th proves he still has it and will be a threat.

As much as I would love to see Rossi win I think it's Pedrosa's year. He was on a mad tear there towards the end of last year and IMO was the best rider.

Lorenzo will win or be top three no doubt about it.

I wish nothing but the best for Nicky Hayden but he just isn't going to get it done on the Duc. IMO he is the hardest working rider on the grid and if on a Honda or Yamaha would have no issues being top 5 every weekend. I hope after 2013 he goes to WSBK.

Spies!!! well hell dont get me started on that over rated, no personality, huge gamble that didn't pay off. 2013 will be his last year in GP unless Suzuki grabs him for 2014. If not he'll return to WSBK where he'll have a decent career but get beat up by all the folks that went to GP before him and did better.

Everybody else on the Duc's dont stand a chance not even Dovi

Crutchlow will do good on on the Tech 3 bike as usual but with Rossi back at the factory that will move him a notch down the line as far as finishing. Once Crutch gets a factory ride somewhere he'll be a force for sure. Unless it's on a Duc.

Everybody else is meh. Bradl is really good but he falls in line with Crutch and will just be pushed further back.

And Collin my man, you just need to give it up. You lived the dream and had an excellent career but it's time to hang up your leathers as far as GP goes anyways. Go back to WSBK and ride what you know.

Stoner: IMO the sport is better off without him. Plenty of assholes out there with all the talent in the world but if you're an asshole then people arent going to like you or respect you and that will only sour the sport for you such as it did in Stoners case. Stoner blamed everybody else when things went bad and never took responsibility for anything. I believe he retired because he knew in his heart Rossi would end up back on the Yamaha and he didn't want Rossi to beat him.

Either way I cant wait for 2013, it's going to be an exciting year.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Stoner: IMO the sport is better off without him. Plenty of assholes out there with all the talent in the world but if you're an asshole then people arent going to like you or respect you and that will only sour the sport for you such as it did in Stoners case. Stoner blamed everybody else when things went bad and never took responsibility for anything. I believe he retired because he knew in his heart Rossi would end up back on the Yamaha and he didn't want Rossi to beat him.
By this standard, asshat Pedrosa a.k.a. "The Mad Midget" should retire.....he is the King of Asshole's in Asshole land.:cool:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts