Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am conducting a short an sweet survey asking whether or not a reasonable enthusiast would pay a higher asking price for an RC51 equiped with an Ohlins suspension and Turn One airbox.

This is purely a yes or no. I understand it is more feasible to sell said parts prior to selling the bike BUT this is purely for research purposes only. Please answer yes even if the increased price you are willing to pay is minimal.

Thanks;)

No, I'm not selling my bike....or the Ohlins.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
Personally, I would pay more because I wouldn't have to buy those items later at full retail price.
I bought my '02 RC51 because it came already with Ohlins shock, Marchesini wheels, and Scotts steering damper already installed which saved me a lot of money on the back end.

Now potential buyers who are trying to low ball or maintain the price at blue book or NADA value, for those folks I'll remove the choice bits and give them what they want, a well-maintained, good condition stock bike at a decent price.

But I won't sell my bike and give away with all the goodies I spent thousands to obtain.
Those goodies will sit just fine in my house at no cost to me until I install them on a replacement bike, or decide to sell them at a later date.

·
Premium Member
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Please continue to respond. The information gathered will help me greatly.

·
Registered
203 Posts
You really shouldn't expect to many no's out of the group here. I think the definitive answer is yes....across the board with really any make or model...assuming were staying in the 'enthusiast' as the purchaser.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
I voted yes I would pay more for the bike with those items. But if you are selling you would be best to sell the items off then sell the bike with OEM parts as you will make more this way IMHO, seen it all too many times.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I stated out looking for a "budget" RC51 and then realized the flaws in my logic. When I took the cost of a "stock" bike, and added the cost of the mods that I knew I wanted to have, it was considerably more than what I could buy a modded bike for. I ended up getting the best bike that I could find within my price range.

·
Registered
176 Posts
On a used/older bike such as the Rc51. Not so much for me. I like to build bikes they way I like them. After market parts really do not appreciate the way people think they do. Having built a few bikes with high end parts only to sell them again I know the value is in parting it out. Sure it take more time but in the long run it nets more $$$.

Take a used RC51 bone stock with say 15k miles on it in a good condition. It may sell anywhere from $3500-5k depending on overall condition and mileage. Now take the same bike with Ohlins Shock/Forks and Turn1 air box. Same mileage, same year same condition you are still only going up to about $5500-6k.

You haven't really added much value to the bike for resale. But in the the, if a person selling finds the right buyer, who know how much you can get for a bike on any particular day. Its always worth what someone is willing to pay.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I would as make the shock as someone buying a bike, irrelevant as to the cost of the bike. Its just another part that makes it function no matters whose name is on it. (Same for exhaust, rear sets, forks etc...)

That is why a lot of folks strip their bikes of the goodies before selling them...the parts are greater than the whole in this case.:cool:

·
Registered
339 Posts
I bought my bike because of the aftermarket bits on it. I was looking for a newer CBR600rr when I picked up the RC. I would never change that day for the rest of my life.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts