RC51 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is going to fly in the face of many of you who think RC's only belong on the track but....I use mine for trackdays and weekend trips but as of yet have only used a backpack for overnighters. I have a Cortech Sport tribag luggage that works well on my hyper and wanted to find something to fit the RC. I've never seen an RC with luggage personally, so if your interested its pretty simple to accomplish.

I went to a local kayak shop and purchased some closed cell foam 12" by 14" at 4" thick. Cost $20. Yikes. I trimmed it to roughly the shape of the rear cowl, wider at front, etc. then cut some grooves approx. 3" deep parallel front to back which would allow the foam to conform to cowl when luggage is loaded. This foam allows the luggage to clear the exhaust by a few inches and creates a flat platform allowing more luggage to be strapped across..tent, bedroll, etc.

Included a pic of my test fit..strap mounting points are the limiting factor...if you have a Hotbodies undertail it will be even more difficult....I will be using it soon to explore some of the great lakes here in the PNW.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
That is a brillant set up. Looks very functional & well thought out, Congrats.

Although, you dropped back several notches in my book for a DUCATI number plate surround on your RC?

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Although, you dropped back several notches in my book for a DUCATI number plate surround on your RC?
Hey...can't that Duc plate frame dream to ride on a quality motorcycle??:D

There are bag set ups out there that look like a two wheel motorhome....your's is very close.

Safe riding.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I knew the Ducati plate would draw some comments....its funny but when i asked my local Honda dealer (whom i've bought many bikes from over the years) if i could have a plate surround, they said they couldn't spare one (?). Fast forward to the local Duc dealership I frequent as well, said sure, how many you want? That Honda dealership just closed its doors a month ago. Sad.

I looked at a Ventura rack but the rep i contacted said i'd have to trim my rear seat cowl to fit plus they are expensive imo. Nice though.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
very nice, going on that long road trip............just dont drag your bag lol

·
Registered
91 Posts
I knew the Ducati plate would draw some comments....its funny but when i asked my local Honda dealer (whom i've bought many bikes from over the years) if i could have a plate surround, they said they couldn't spare one (?). Fast forward to the local Duc dealership I frequent as well, said sure, how many you want? That Honda dealership just closed its doors a month ago. Sad.
That dealership closed because they went bust from giving away too many plate surrounds, kind of ironic really... :D

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
very cool, I've often thought of doing some exploring/camping trips with the RC before i started modding it. I think its the perfect bike for it.

If you haven't already, you should check out Sjaak Lucassen's website. He's done numerous World travel trips on sportbikes....and i'm not talking about on roads. This guy is riding on mud paths through the congo, desert of the sahara, jungles of south america, and across frozen tundra. Amazing stuff. All while servicing his own bike with spare parts....in the middle of nowhere. This guy is a true adventurer.
http://www.sjaaklucassen.nl/
Couple of his trips include-

Austarlia 1992-1993

- World Tour 1995-1998, 3 years and 1 week he covered over 100,000mi/160.000km in 40 countries on his Honda CBR Fireblade and .

-World Tour 2001-2006, 5 years and 5 months discovering the world, covering 155,000mi/250.000km in 77 countries on a Yamaha R1.

-2 North Cape trips in 2006 and 2008

-Alsaka 2009

Check out Colin Edwards handing him a set of keys to his new R1 at the 2007 Dutch TT
http://www.sjaaklucassen.nl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=117&Itemid=28&lang=en&limitstart=5

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I have used the Cortech sport saddlebags with the tailbag and tri-tank bag for several of my trips. I will have to see if I have any pics. I use the rear seat with a towel to keep achieve the right height.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Nice setup I noticed you run power pures on the front and back, how do the rears hold up? i run the pure on the front only with the power 2CT's on the back, how many miles are you getting out of them?

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Nothing against duc's, but that just seems sacrilegious :D I'm glad you explained why.

Welcome to the forum, and a tip of the hat on your fabrication skills. Looks like it will work well for you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice setup I noticed you run power pures on the front and back, how do the rears hold up? i run the pure on the front only with the power 2CT's on the back, how many miles are you getting out of them?
I can't speak to the mileage yet, I put them on last summer, they've seen about 600 miles and one trackday. I have no complaints so far, they were on sale so I gave them a try. I did run them 35psi cold temp at the track as the michelin rep said its a must due to the lightweight carcasses, they are shockingly light compared to the pirelli diablo corsas on my 'other' big bike.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I can't speak to the mileage yet, I put them on last summer, they've seen about 600 miles and one trackday. I have no complaints so far, they were on sale so I gave them a try. I did run them 35psi cold temp at the track as the michelin rep said its a must due to the lightweight carcasses, they are shockingly light compared to the pirelli diablo corsas on my 'other' big bike.
I just ordered a set of the pure's, I am excited!

·
Registered
95 Posts

I looked at a Ventura rack but the rep i contacted said i'd have to trim my rear seat cowl to fit plus they are expensive imo. Nice though.
Which Oregon dealer shunned you? You should be able to get a Honda dealer plate surround from either Lamphere/Beaverton Motorcycles or Hillsboro Motosport. Let me know if you need help. I work with both dealers a lot. A plain black one is only about $5-$8 at most car parts stores.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey there, that is pretty much what i had in mind to make this year for myself. Is the foam actually connected to the bike or is it just held there by the stuff on top? Do you find anything shifts while you corner with it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts