RC51 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, i just got a rc51 here in canada, and i noticed that the dash is in imperial units. I though this bike could be an american bike but when i registered it, i was told it was not imported. I dont mind the units being standard, but would like to have the dash correct for bike. Can anyone tell me what a usa vin number would be compared to the canadian one? And does any one know the honda oem part number for a metric dash? Its a 2003 sp2.
Thanks!

·
Registered
240 Posts
i think if you put it on the odometer and then hold the button down it will switch im pretty sure. saw something on it a while back.

just checked and i was right. apparently it may not work on the sp1 but it does on the sp2.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
you can only change the speed from mph to km/h. the temperature, trip, and odometer retain fahrenheit and miles.

@Mattrampone, there's a guy on the facebook group with a bunch of brand new metric dashes. he's in the UK though and wants 250gpb each.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Here is the guy with the new metric dashes

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009077828860

He offered me one for 250gbp
Me too, but at that price, I will live with the fact the odo on my bike reads miles instead of KM.... :)
The speedo switches between mph and kmh no problem...
The temp reads in celcius........ which IS wierd for I'd expect fahrenheit in lieu of the miles odo...
But then again, who is looking at the mantle piece while poking the fire..... :grin2:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow beautiful, thank you all for the responses, great help! Im gonna try to get in touch with the guy from gb.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pure metric gauges are harder to find. There is the work-around on US imperial gauges but it isn't perfect.

Here's Honda VIN decoding. I'm not aware of a # in the vin that denotes country of delivery, at least between Canada or the US. Place of origin yes.

http://www.rc51forums.com/forums/15-2002-2006-rc51-sp2/5722-vin-number-dissection.html#post37655
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identification_Numbers_(VIN_codes)/Honda/VIN_Codes

Hope that helps. Cheers.
what is the dash work around? Does it involve using a pic programmer? I noticed on the usa dash that there is a faint km in the lcd screen that indicates to me that it may be possible to convert it with programming the little chip. The hard part would be figuring out the bin values to change with out a metric dash to copy from.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
It was in reference to the built-in functionality to select some metric units with US gauges, but that was mentioned before. FWIW, gauges from other countries do not have this functionality.

I've never messed with or followed up on any hacks. Someone else may be able to help there. I seem to remember someone mentioning it a while back somewhere.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is the guy with the new metric dashes

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009077828860

He offered me one for 250gbp
Is this guy ok to deal with? Agusta mv a business? I was planning to order a dash from him, he accepts pay pal but would prefer a direct bank transfer. Do you think if i transfer him money, he will send the part? Says pay pall will charge a fee and a bad exchange rate.

·
Registered
240 Posts
an mv agusta is a bike maufacturer. i wouldnt call him a business unless you find he is one. see if hell do paypal as gift. not sure id wire someone money you dont know or have no input on, but its your life and he may be legit for all we know.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I think he's at a shop. Haven't purchased anything from him.

What I'd do is send via PayPal, offer to cover the fees. You are responsible for the exchange so he's unaffected.

At least that way you are protected.

Sending PayPal as a gift offers you no protection, same for bank transfers

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, no doubt, i was thinking pay pal was a safer choice, otherwise i may as well send cash in the mail! Just gonna have to eat the extra cost of using PayPal, kinda like insurance i guess

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Even when receiving money I always warn against sending as a gift. I include PayPal fees in my prices. It's not fair to ask a buyer to forego their protection in the transaction, and more importantly its not fair to defraud the service you are using for the transaction. PayPal exists because of usage fees, their buyer protection is excellent because of these fees. As users of the service everyone should be ok with the fees

1 - 15 of 15 Posts