RC51 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already have a very pristine 2003 RC51, but I've found another RC51 I may buy to turn into a track day bike. My first buy was in such immaculate condition I didn't have any concerns about function - I couldn't even find a spot of dirt, let alone something which appeared worn or broken. The pictures of the second bike I'm looking at give the impression the bike is not in the same perfect working order, and I have to travel 4 1/2 hours to see it in person. The owner says the only issues are some cosmetics, and all the mechanicals are in good order. I'm used to the very obvious things, like chain/sprockets, tires, fork seals, cables, etc., but I'm certainly no expert on these matters. So, I'm looking for suggestions on things to watch for when I finally get to see the bike. Any thoughts on potential trouble spots (that I can possibly find without disassembling the bike of course) would be most appreciated.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Look to see if the frame and the swing arm are not scratch of bend to if you see fresh paint anywhere on the frame or swing arm, look at the engine for any leaks and measure from the front axel to rear axel on both sizes to see if the match.

Cosmetic stuff don't matter if you turning it into a track bike

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I have to disagree. If I am paying, be ready to pull the side plastics.

Make sure the steering head bearings do not have much "play". People tend to overlook this. It can tell you if the owner knows their shit and the bike 3was truely taken care of. Not to mention the brake fluid color, which would lead one to believe the fork fluid was never changed as well.:eek:

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments guys. I was really looking hard at that second RC51, but just couldn't make up my mind. Then coincidentally I looked at craigslist and found a 2005 GSXR 750 that already was rebuilt into a track bike. I went to look at it today, and it was very nicely setup with lots of upgrades from stock - and the price was right too. Needless to say, the GSXR followed me home :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
No real trouble spots, just good common sense and what has been mentioned before (above). It also depends on what they are asking for it... you might be able to build a good track bike for less depending on the quality of either the RC or the Gixxers.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts