RC51 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my first post here. First off, let me say that I've always loved RC51's. A few days ago I listed my '03 ZX6-R 636 on craigslist for about $5k. Ideally, I would sell it around that and then hope to find a decent RC51 SP2. I just got an email from a guy who offered me his '00 RC51 for trade, sounds pretty perfect. After a few emails, I learn it has 14k miles, a huge dent in the tank and decal-less fairings. So, its clear its been dropped.

My question is, do you guys think it would be a better move to wait and sell my bike, and then buy a nicer RC with the money I get? I realize 5 grand wont get me a real nice one, but I've seen them in that price range.

Thanks,
Connor

·
Registered
232 Posts
ok Conner.. welcome to the forum, now Im not sure where you posting from so forgive me but there is no way you would get 5K for an 03 636 here in socal.. There are just too many bikes and not enough riders.. But good luck to you. I would shy away from a "trade" situation like that. If you really want an RC sell your bike and start really looking.. There are plenty of great deals if your looking. I looked for almost a year before I found mine.. Remember these bikes are owned by guys that love to ride so expect some mileage. Also remeber these bikes will live long lives if they are taken care of.. We are talking 100K.. You can for sure Find an SP1 for 3-5K with liveable mileage.. There are 4 SP2's on craigslist here in SD right now that are from 4500 to 7500 if you want to spend more.. I know forum member BIGWAKE lives in Fl and found his SP1 in Texas had it shipped and still spent way less than 5K.. Good luck to ya!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey guys, my first post here. First off, let me say that I've always loved RC51's. A few days ago I listed my '03 ZX6-R 636 on craigslist for about $5k. Ideally, I would sell it around that and then hope to find a decent RC51 SP2. I just got an email from a guy who offered me his '00 RC51 for trade, sounds pretty perfect. After a few emails, I learn it has 14k miles, a huge dent in the tank and decal-less fairings. So, its clear its been dropped.

My question is, do you guys think it would be a better move to wait and sell my bike, and then buy a nicer RC with the money I get? I realize 5 grand wont get me a real nice one, but I've seen them in that price range.

Thanks,
Connor
First off, where are you located? In South Florida where I live, a 2003 636 brings at MOST $3600. And that's one in GREAT shape. If RCs in your area are all over $5000 then do the trade. If you can actually get $5000 for your bike, then sell it outright and buy an RC that's at a realistic price around $4000 or less somewhere else in the country and have it shipped. You'll still be money ahead. Where I live, a pristine 04 Nicky Hayden will be listed for $4500.

·
Registered
53 Posts
just picked up my minty 05 SP2 for 5k and I felt that was a bit more than I should have paid but it so hard to find a truly nice clean bike that I jumped on it. Lots of sellers will say there bikes are super nice and perfect but after driving 5 hours to see them you find out that there opinion of mint is way different than yours....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. I may jump on this opportunity I have, I really like these bikes. And btw, yea I know 5k is pretty optimistic for my 636. But I only listed it a few days ago, its winter and I'm in no rush to sell. I figure start high, and if someone bites, great!

·
Registered
84 Posts
i would wait a little longer... people are still debating if they are gonna ride this year or still waiting to see what they get as a tax return and before you know it theres gonna be a bunch of bikes for sale good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts