RC51 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm searching for an rc51 and came across a very high mileage bike. However it looks amazing and sounds very good as well. I know from a few friends bikes that if taken care of these bikes last a long time, but I'm looking at 75k on the ticker. Would anyone touch this bike for the right price? It's a 2000 and I could probably get it for around 2700-2900 if I was serious about it. Any input or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
It's trash. Buy it and I'll take it off your hands....

If not, then:

Verify maint. records/history and if you got the coin take a chance on it. Unless you are hard up for a right now RC then I would look at something a little less..enjoyed. (that's not to say it is a shit bike)

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
I wouldn't bother. Not to say that the RC51 isn't a good bike to keep forever, but 75k is just a ton of miles. That is a ticking time bomb waiting for oval cylinder bores or a spun main bearing. I'd be suprised if the manufacturers designed our bikes to go much beyond 25k or 30k miles.

You could probably find one with under 20k for that much.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Bikes will last a ton of miles with good owners and maintenance, and the opposite is true. If you want great and low miles see what that will cost you in your area.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your input guys. Turns out the guy still thinks its worth 3800-4000. I'd ride a huffy before spending that on a 75k mile rc. So the hunt continues. Thanks again for the advise.

·
Registered
606 Posts
also febs...if he has done any sprocket changes the odometer most likely is not reading correctly....not to say he doesn't have a lot of mile but I doubt he has 75K on it

·
Administrator
1,238 Posts
If your really interested in it, stay in touch with him....it will eventually dawn on him that he will never get what he's asking, that's when you usually get the email asking you if your still interested. That happens to me almost everytime. I'm actually looking at buying a 2001 Indian and the guy has already dropped it 1K without me asking. Regarding the mileage, be careful and open to the fact that you may need to do some work to it. I know how I ride and maintain my stuff, 75K isn't a deal breaker....but it's not always easy behaving yourself on a RC.;)

·
Registered
863 Posts
I wouldn't buy it, not for that price. You can find 51's with 20K miles or less for about a grand more than his asking price. I'd offer him a grand and if he doesn't take it tell him good luck and go find something else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts