RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 RC51 that I love, but am looking to do a few things to spruce it up. I searched thru the gallery and noticed many of the RC's pictured do not have a rear seat, but a small cover where the seat used to be.

How do I find one to fit my bike ? What is it called ?

Thanks
Raleigh

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
it's an OEM part, goes by many names, trunk lid, tail insert, tail cover thingy, or that f^%#$ing thing that blew off. I know Ben at RC51parts.com has a couple, don't remember what colors/years he's has tho. make sure you put it on a leash on it, they will blow off at legal speeds, mine did. I lucked out and found one for my 03 used.
James

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks James....I appreciate the quick response as well as where to go

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes they will blow off. Always wondered why one of the guys I ride with always checked the rear seat on his '06 ZX10 after we would leave a stop where he had to get something out of his trunk. I didn't make sure mine was completely latched after stowing something in the trunk soon after getting my immaculate 2000 RC. Passed a guy I worked with and gunned it. Felt something tapping me on the back. By the time I realized what it could be, I saw my trunk lid flying away in the mirror. Right in the middle of rush hour traffic on a 4 lane road. Got turned around and found where it landed and stopped in the middle turning lane. It was sitting directly on the line between two lanes with bumper to bumper traffic flowing. Caught a break in traffic and ran and grabbed it. Only scuffed the corners and put a few light scratches. Made me sick none the less because it was perfect. But at least it wasn't busted. Little polishing compound took care of the biggest part. The leash idea is pretty good. Might have to try that. I make for certain that I latch it good and reach behind me after a short while to make sure it is still there. Sorry for the sorta thread jack.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hurricane, not a thread jack...this is also more great info. At $100 USD I do not want it flying away. The leash idea is great if and when I decide to pull the trigger - Thanks again...Kirk out.

Raleigh

·
Premium Member
3,188 Posts
it's an OEM part, goes by many names, trunk lid, tail insert, tail cover thingy, or that f^%#$ing thing that blew off. I know Ben at RC51parts.com has a couple, don't remember what colors/years he's has tho. make sure you put it on a leash on it, they will blow off at legal speeds, mine did. I lucked out and found one for my 03 used.
James
Ben will give you the best deal. Great guy to deal with.:)

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
I have a 2001 RC51 that I love, but am looking to do a few things to spruce it up. I searched thru the gallery and noticed many of the RC's pictured do not have a rear seat, but a small cover where the seat used to be.

How do I find one to fit my bike ? What is it called ?

Thanks
Raleigh
It's called a panel set. It has the seat cowl box attached to it.
See items 13 and 17 in the link.
http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=156039&category=MOTORCYCLES&make=HONDA&year=2002&fveh=3621

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hurricane, not a thread jack...this is also more great info. At $100 USD I do not want it flying away. The leash idea is great if and when I decide to pull the trigger - Thanks again...Kirk out.

Raleigh
Sorry, I get a little long winded and tend to ramble.:eek: Check my post in the "rider age" thread.:)

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guy's !! This IS great info.....currently my bike is down for paint and an exhaust change as well as having the seats recovered. Once I am up and running I will look into buying a couple of these cowls .....:D

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got one from Ben at RC51parts.org about two months ago, brilliant! Super fast shipping and very accommodating. Excellent guy with whom to work.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Funny how it's called different things in different regions. Around here I've heard it refered to simply as a cowl.

Raleighp, I'd say get a cowl, (or whatever you call it in your neck of the woods), to your painter asap. If it's possible, you want the cowl painted the same day as the tail section so your colors have the best match. Trust me on this, I know.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
so im gonna do this little teather ideal being I had the dam solo cover fly off an hit me in the back of the head an go skipping along the road
something about the teather idea bothers me. if you do lose it, is it going to be slapping against your tail section? i think id rather lose it then have it scratching up other more exspensive items on my bike...they are only $50 at honda for the cover alone. compare that to the cost of a tail section...yikes

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yo Screaming...care to sell me one of your covers ??

·
Registered
332 Posts
I think the big idea with the tether system isn't so much to prevent damage to other parts of the bike, but to prevent the cowl from becoming airborne and causing damage to others... But I can understand not wanting it flapping around on the exhaust system, bodywork or getting wrapped up anywhere else. :)

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I dug this thread up cause that flying off thing concerned me. I could easily pop my lid right off with just my fingers. So I tightend everything up with locktite. same thing. so I examined and discovered that the plastic shoulder of the cowl hook was hitting the top of the metal latch, keeping it from closing 100%. (Pic 1.) So I removed the excess plastic on that shoulder, problem solved. (Pic 2.) I left the front shoulder alone cause it wasn't causing any issues.
Cannot pry off anymore with fingers, should not blow off or flounder like a fish on the end of a teather.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts