RC51 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Honda 2001 SP1 - I've had the bike for short while and over the last 500kms there has been surging or hesitation under acceleration which has gradually gotten worse. She was running rough with no power (as if only firing on one cylinder) when I got home yesterday I could smell fuel and noticed that the left side can was cold. The problem is intermittent but is gradually getting way worse. On idle you can hear the bike switch between 1 and 2 cylinders.

I have pulled the rear plug and it doesn't look great (some fouling evident) and I have a FI fault code which flashes x1 long then x1 long and x1short blink. This doesn't seem to tie up with any of the codes in the manual??

Any guidance here would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
118 Posts
If only one cylinder is firing and the other cold it may be ignition. Check both plugs to see if you are getting a good spark.
If not ignition and you are smelling gas, you may have a fuel pressure regulator problem, common on the RC51. Here’s a quick test you can perform to help diagnose the problem.
Smile Rectangle Handwriting Font Circle
Automotive lighting Musical instrument Material property Gas Automotive exhaust

Good luck.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Did you check for spark, etc., before ordering parts? It’s best to go through the troubleshooting process before swapping parts to prevent an expensive game of chasing your tail. If you had no spark it doesn’t necessarily mean bad plugs. It could be any number of things in the ignition system. I only made a couple of suggestions to help you on your way. Although, having a spare FPR and fresh plugs is never a bad idea.

·
Registered
2000 RC51 SP1 / 2018 Aprilia RSV4 RF
199 Posts
Honda 2001 SP1 - I've had the bike for short while and over the last 500kms there has been surging or hesitation under acceleration which has gradually gotten worse. She was running rough with no power (as if only firing on one cylinder) when I got home yesterday I could smell fuel and noticed that the left side can was cold. The problem is intermittent but is gradually getting way worse. On idle you can hear the bike switch between 1 and 2 cylinders.

I have pulled the rear plug and it doesn't look great (some fouling evident) and I have a FI fault code which flashes x1 long then x1 long and x1short blink. This doesn't seem to tie up with any of the codes in the manual??

Any guidance here would be much appreciated!
[/QUOTE]

Did you figure anything out on this? I had the same issue around Christmas of last year. I was riding it home from work one day and it just started to run rough while I was on the highway. Then about a mile after it started one of the cylinders stopped firing. I limped it off the highway and to a gas station. There was a white mist coming from one of the pipes that I figured was smoke. My wife brought my truck and I loaded it up and took it home. When I got home it fired right up. I looked it over the next few days and could find nothing amiss. I took it around the neighborhood and it seemed fine. So I ventured out on the main roads and after about a mile or two it dropped a cylinder again. I rode it home and just figured I would let a honda dealer look it over. They had it a month and said they could find nothing wrong except a loose plug. I asked him if he actually rode it and he said yes and nothing was wrong. I took it home and rode it and it happened again. I figured it may have been a piston ring or engine gasket. I just thought the bike was screwed. I figured I would try the most basic stuff first. New FPR, New Plugs and even got new coils. Took it out again and it still happened. I thought about it a little more and this issue started after I had installed a new set of Sato Low mounts pipes and a PC5. I was running the Map from the Rogue RC51 site for Sato Lows. Well one day I was on Youtube looking to see if anyone else was having the same issue and stumbled across a video where a guy was having the same issue and found that some PC5's had an issue where in the 4800-5400 RPM range would allow about 5 cells on the map to activate at the same time and over fuel the cylinder causing it to foul the plug and drop the cylinder. I also saw where having the PC5 too close the the bikes original ecu would cause interference and make the PC5 malfunction also. I'm wasn't sure if this would really cause an issue but at this point I figured what the heck and actually, my PC5 was positioned on top of my original ecu in the tail. So I moved the PC away from the ECU and I reloaded it with a map for an Arrow exhaust. All I know is that now I have not had the issue anymore. Not sure if you have a Power Commander on your bike but that may be a good low cost place to start also. Good Luck man. This was so frustrating for me that I actually bought a new bike so I could take my time and work on my RC and still be able to ride because getting rid of the RC was out of the question! Here is the video. Read the comments for more info on what other guys had going on with theirs.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Good post, Clutchless. The OP did not mention the presence of a PC but if the bike is so equipped it is a good idea to disconnect the PC and run the bike directly from the ECU just to see if this clears up the issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My problem is resolved! I waited a month to get the new plugs, the Fuel Pressure Regulator was off the shelf. I'm pleased to say that after fitting the new plugs and FPR it feels like a new bike. Very strong and super smooth! The plugs looked like they were the original plugs (and judging by the price I can now see why.. :) I can't give a definitive answer as to the problem being plugs or FPR related but since the FPR does seems to be a common problem it makes sense to replace the original unit.
Thanks to everyone for their help here, its great to know that there is an abundance of support from fellow enthusiasts 🙏
Looks like riding weather today.. 😄

1 - 7 of 7 Posts