RC51 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Out riding yesterday and the bike went sick, stripped it today and find I have no spark at the rear cylinder. Swapped the coils front to rear and same thing. There is spark at the front but I think it is weak at best.
Swapped plug front to rear as well but the problem persists.
Jimmy911 had the same issue with the front but never updated us on the fix .

After doing my wiring checks I am thinking it is the converter unit or an ECM problem, however I am loath to order one and it is not the issue.

I had a look at the pulse generator and it appears the although there are 2 they are wired together to give the signal to the ECM. So I assume that if I have spark at the front plug the pulse generators are working, or am I incorrect?

Any thoughts?

Rob

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just been back to my wiring diagram, there is only one pulse generator so I assume it is working because I have a spark to the front plug.

Forgot to mention there are NO FLASH CODES.

Rob

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One more thing, the convertor makes a noise when the ignition is switched on, like a buzzing or the sound like a computer fan running.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thoughts from a knuckle dragger: Checking for voltage to the coils may help trouble shoot. Otherwise if you swapped plugs, leads, coils you may be right with the ecm. Sounds dumb but have you checked your battery, it doesn't take much loss to cause trouble. Just for gee-whiz'z from an issue I had with a pulse generator I found I needed a peak voltage adapter to check peak voltage, as an alternative you could measure the output voltage from the pulse generator with a multimeter then divide that number by .707

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all

Thanks for the input, been a bit busy so have not replied. I have ordered a converter unit(or as I would call it a CDI unit) 10 days from Japan from here so as soon as I get it I will update you all.
It better move it, there is a track day coming up in Dubai again.

I miss my bike!

Will keep you posted

Regards
Rob

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello,

Well the converter arrived today, fitted and started. Back to normal, 2 cylinders, revs clean through.
Couple of things to do before I put all the plastic back on. Flushing and bleeding cooling system.
New brake fluid, clutch.

Life is good!

:smile2:

·
Registered
238 Posts
you should maybe also check over your wiring for shorts or broken loom to make sure nothing extraneous fried your cdi or you may fry another. theres a good chance it could have just died but im just throwing in my 2 cents.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts