RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G,morning all. I just picked up a 2005 w/13K miles, and upon removing all the plastic for a thorough look-over I am happy to say it appears to be bone stock (YAY). My question is. Which of the numerous RC51 mods I've read about here and other sites, are the most beneficial, and, cost effective for the scooter? I've read about PAIRS mod., 5mm shim for shock, dan kyle link,etc. I would appreciate any help, and opinions from those of you who have done the mods, and can give me a heads up on whether the mod made any/as much difference as you had hoped. Also any links for mods, and/or parts. Thanks in advance, and drop me a line if you are in the Brevard county, Fl. area. We can take a spin together.

Attachments

·
Administrator
1,242 Posts
The "How-To" section relates to instructional posts regarding certain procedures, which is described below the section. Moved to "General Bike Talk".

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Most common mod is 15/41 520 Gearing Conversion Kit Best $220 you will spend.

The best free mod is the Soft Rev Removal.

The best mod overall is having the Suspension done as this bike needs all the help it can get in terms of both compliance with the road and being able to fine tune the geometry to make it steer properly and ultimately allow you to ride faster with less drama.

Fairly complete list of mods and info
http://www.rc51.org/mod.htm

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
++1^^ to what LDH said...definitely the gearing change, I'm running 15/41 and would NEVER go back to stock gearing.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Most beneficial.
1. Suspension front and rear and a good setup.
2. Wheels
3. Slipper clutch, makes re-gearing unnecessary
4. brake upgrade, marginally needed
5. exhaust, mostly a bling item
6.PC, helps a bit

I live in Brevard county.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Why did you change your gearing and why that particular ratio?
Because of the ridiculously tall gear ratio...also it keeps the bike right in the meat of the powerband. One other thing we have a 40 over impound law here so giving up some top end for more jump out of the gate was an obvious choice.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Please elaborate on this statement...I have a slipper which I have yet to install. I'm just curious how a slipper would negate a gearing change?
I'm wondering the same thing. My understanding is that a slipper clutch only smooths out the down shifts. :confused:

I too have went with a 15/41. It gives the bike more get up, makes starting off and riding around town easier and who really needs a calculated 185 mph top speed.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
A slipper clutch would be the absolute last thing on the list for mods to my RC51. In fact I have always appreciated the smooth linear nature of engine compression braking of the RC51. You can bang an extra downshift, dump the clutch and the back of the bike will kick out as you are trailbraking into the turn and as soon as the rpms match the speed of the wheel the rear end swings right back into line. You get the benefits of squaring up the corner without a lot of skill required to back it in... This was extremely helpful at Barber Motorsports Park in Turn 5 and especially Turn 14a where you are heeled over trying to scrub speed while semi-protecting the line. It's amazing how wide you can make an RC51 :)

Oh & for the record 15/41 is what I used on the street, 15/43 for most tracks and still had no ill effects from engine braking.

·
Registered
167 Posts
oh boy

Going to a "lower gear ratio" gives better acceleration. It also creates a change in chain pull, anti squat, and apparent engine braking. If you do not make adjustments in suspension setup then your bike is going to get upset easier. Being in a lower gear does not do those things.

A lot people change the gear ratio because they find that going around slower corners in first gear is problematic.
I have found that I can approach the corners easier with the stock gearing and a slipper clutch with out upsetting the bike as much as with a lower gear ratio. I does take some getting use to with less engine braking and higher approach speed and the need to use more front and rear brakes.

One side note a think that going to a lower gear ratio would make the bike have a higher top end then a stock RC. A stock RC won't reached red line in sixth gear.

As to the "meat of the power band" I don't know what RPM that is. Coming out of corners in anything over 3500 and I have as much power as my rear tire can hold. More power is not usually the problem.

In my mods list I think that $220 towards slipper clutch is worthwhile.

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
oh boy

Going to a "lower gear ratio" gives better acceleration. It also creates a change in chain pull, anti squat, and apparent engine braking. If you do not make adjustments in suspension setup then your bike is going to get upset easier. Being in a lower gear does not do those things.

A lot people change the gear ratio because they find that going around slower corners in first gear is problematic. I am usually one gear lower then a bike with a lower gearing change. So the net effect is marginal.
I have found that I can approach the corners easier with the stock gearing and a slipper clutch with out upsetting the bike as much as with a lower gear ratio. I does take some getting use to with less engine braking and higher approach speed and the need to use more front and rear brakes.

One side note a think that going to a lower gear ratio would make the bike have a higher top end then a stock RC. A stock RC won't reached red line in sixth gear.

As to the "meat of the power band" I don't know what RPM that is. Coming out of corners in anything over 3500 and I have as much power as my rear tire can hold. More power is not usually the problem.

In my mods list I think that $220 towards slipper clutch is worthwhile.

Fair enough...but I'm really smooth and I rarely upset the chassis on my downshifts. The "meat" of the lower for me is about 4500/6500 anywhere around there all hell breaks loose if I'm heavy on the throttle.

But please let me know where you can purchase a slipper for $220 as I paid substantially much more than that. Unless of course it was a used unit...

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
LDH

How did you have your slipper clutch setup on your RC?
I never installed a slipper clutch on my personal bike. I tested several different ones of varying designs and I preferred the Yoyodyne model over all of them although it did have a weird pulsing feel to it, but definitely worked the best out of all of them.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Nobody
Well good for you on the downshifting. I guess slipper clutch would do you no good then. You can sell yours and put the money to something else.
I said $220 "towards" a slipper clutch. That being the price of a gearing change.

LDH
I agree I do not like the feeling of the clutch lever as the clutch disengages and reengages.

How you setup your slipper clutch has a lot to do with how it effects the bike. Some like it with as much engine braking as possible some like it with less. This is all in the setup of your bike.
Some like a slipper and some do not. Pay your money and make your choices.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts