RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How can this be legal?????

I got a ticket on I95 a couple months ago. Officer was a county deputy. First, I didn't even know county cops were allowed to patrol interstates :confused: :mad:

Nevertheless, the ticket price was surprisingly reasonable, $180 I think. So I paid it. 88 in a 70, by the way.

SOOOO ... by paying it, I admitted guilt. And that combined with the fact that I was going over 85 triggered the state of Georgia to send me a SECOND ticket, as a "Super Speeder" :mad: Mother fvckers.

So, here's the thing: Had I known the REAL penalty would total $380 instead of just $180, I would probably have hired a traffic citation atty and got the thing reduced rather than just paying it. So I was not informed of the COMPLETE penalty up front or at any time prior to admitting guilt and paying the ticket.

Also ... I'm kinda wondering: "If they can lay this SECOND layer penalty on me, and I pay IT, what's to stop a THIRD???"

BTW, I googled this and found that Georgia is doing this JUST to generate money to pay for a 'trauma center'. And it's generated $120 million in its first 4 years.

God dammit no wonder people are pissed at our 'leaders' these days.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Georgia, ain't she a peach?:D

In Indiana, a police officer can patrol any street in their jurisdiction. They especially like the interstates when they need to hit their quotas. (You know, the ones that don't exist:rolleyes:)

Welcome to the club there "Super Speeder":p

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yeah, hate to say anything after the fact but I learned the same way many years ago on several trips out of state, when I lived in NJ. After my second real road trip to the Tail of the Dragons and a few traffic citations, I started to research different State's traffic laws and talking to guys on forums from those states. I though NJ was bad, I never complained after riding through WV and AL.

I've not heard of the second delayed citation before but I imagine there was something printed on the original citation. With governments it's all about putting the liability on the citizen. I know this because I work for a large city.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Sooooooo, what if you are from another country, get a ticket in the US and never return until 3 yrs later?
If you come back and get caught, there will be a warrant waiting on you...your drivers license at that point will be no good and they will take you straight to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.:D

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Georgia, ain't she a peach?:D

In Indiana, a police officer can patrol any street in their jurisdiction. They especially like the interstates when they need to hit their quotas. (You know, the ones that don't exist:rolleyes:)

Welcome to the club there "Super Speeder":p
Nothing, but you get the cool distinction of being a Super Duper Speeder
Right ... and sadly I didn't even get my money's worth: I was in a damn rental car :mad:

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
It's sadly just legalised robbery in the US whenever they can get away with it... Land of the free or land of Plutocracy? :rolleyes:

Some 20 years ago I got several speeding tickets in the US & Canada on my UK (International) licence. I never paid them and nothing happened. Maybe now they're more savy, but if I go there again I'll use my Japanese Intl. Licence.

I always drive where I can with a foreign (Intl) licence. Often I've gotten away with a warning when they can't add penalty points, but I usually act humble & scared of them, which usually disarms them a bit.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm originally from GA and I don't enjoy driving back through it just because of how much Traffic Enforcement has increased over the past 5yrs. I know where I can speed (usually through Atlanta and it's surrounding counties) but I try not to go to far above the posted speed limit as the state patrol errr revenue enforcement officers are just waiting to fulfill their quotas.

·
Registered
163 Posts
For those coming from across the pond or farther away, beware of smaller towns. There are still those smaller departments and judicial systems that will require court attendance immediately as well as payment of any incurred fines prior to leaving their jurisdiction. I bring this up because 2 years ago a good friend who has lived in Italy for the last 10 years visited and was stopped in a podunk town in CO. He was held until the next court session and informed payment for the traffic violation would need to be settled prior to release.
It's safe to say I will be visiting Italy next time as he's not coming back. Showing a foreign driver's license here in AZ usually causes LE to more extensively run a person through federal databases.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
It's rare over here to be caught speeding by Plod, it's the "safety" cameras (scameras) that get you over here. We have loads of different types, Gatso, Truvello, mobile, average speed cameras (nightmare) etc. the list goes on. The front facing Truvello cameras are okay as we don't have license plate on the front of bikes. :D

Some counties now offer a speed awareness course instead of points on your license. Costs more but you don't get points, I have done two now. Last one cost me £115, and in my county alone they put 4000 people a month through the courses, which are run 7 days a week. I live in a very low population rural county, so you can imagine the money they make in the populated areas.

Recently they have been fitting loads of average speed cameras around my area, easy to get caught out if you don't spot the first one.

The mobiles are the worst, they invariabley site them just over the brow of a hill or round a bend. Plus with these, is they are usually front facing, so on a bike they see no plate. I have only been caught once by Plod, the other times have been mobile cameras and one Truvello (in a car not on the bike).

On the course they tell you how dangerous speeding is, yet they don't like questions like: if speeding was that dangerous, and you run courses 7 days a week for 4k people a month caught speeding, that would suggest the death rates on UK roads should be into the tens, if not hundreds of thousands.

Most of the course is BS, designed to scare drivers into slowing down.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
The US is a lovely country, with much variety of climate & terrain & often great people, but I can't stand the anti-terrorism bull at airports and the police state mentality. Driving is usually long distance there and we have to always watch our speed, slow for possible speed traps, etc. I hear so much about militarisation of police there that's another downer. Paranoia isn't relaxing so I have no yearnings to go back. There's just other places that seem to be more relaxed for holidays, I guess.:(

BritRC. I'll be passing through the UK on my way to & from Portugal for our summer holiday. I'll have no bike to ride as I'll be with my family, but will have either a pristine E34 M5 or a friend's E500 (The one that was hand-built by Porsche). 2 great Q cars that are now classics. Perfect for a holiday, so may as well use them whilst they're available. We're headed to the lake district for 4 days and doing some touring to visit old friends.

I was kinda dreading driving in the UK. Especially in London. It's interesting to hear it's rare to get caught speeding by the plod...
Not having lived there for 15 years nor driven in the UK for at least 8 years, I imagined it might have got worse with people watching their speedos rather than reading the road ahead. I'm pretty watchful for cameras, etc. Do people generally tend to get upset at getting passed on open B roads by a car taking them at high speed, or just carry on unaffected? Kinda want to avoid road rage, something never experienced here in Japan. Here you can take a car at 100 km/h faster than they and provided they know you're there it's completely safe and they don't get upset at all, call Police, etc. :D

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'm half expecting that if I cave and pay this damn layer #2 $200 penalty, the feds will be next: "Since you have plead guilty and paid not one but two penalties proving such, the US govt considers your actions as also pleading guilt to a federal speeding penalty. After all, you were on a federal road. Pay $500 within 60 days."

And when I google that I'll probably find out it was created to pay for Obama's campaign fund ... well, Hillary's now. Or Obamacare.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
If we look from the perspective of a government run by criminals and how they might think, things begin to make a lot more sense.

Speeding is one offence, not two. I'd not pay again, but then I don't live in the US.
If I did I'd probably just pay the criminals to leave me alone.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
That really sounds like horse cookies to me, but you might be hooped and have a warrant issued if you don't pay the second one. Or even if they flag your license they'll get you at your next vehicle registration and won't issue you a new tag until you pay up the outstanding ticket. That's what they do here.

I hate photo radar with a passion and have all my plates coated just in case. Might not work but if it saves me once, it's done the trick. Now they're talking about points on camera tickets too...Dunno if that will pass but if it does I can see a lot of cameras getting knocked out with pellet guns...:mad:

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
BritRC. I'll be passing through the UK on my way to & from Portugal for our summer holiday. I'll have no bike to ride as I'll be with my family, but will have either a pristine E34 M5 or a friend's E500 (The one that was hand-built by Porsche). 2 great Q cars that are now classics. Perfect for a holiday, so may as well use them whilst they're available. We're headed to the lake district for 4 days and doing some touring to visit old friends.

I was kinda dreading driving in the UK. Especially in London. It's interesting to hear it's rare to get caught speeding by the plod...
Not having lived there for 15 years nor driven in the UK for at least 8 years, I imagined it might have got worse with people watching their speedos rather than reading the road ahead. I'm pretty watchful for cameras, etc. Do people generally tend to get upset at getting passed on open B roads by a car taking them at high speed, or just carry on unaffected? Kinda want to avoid road rage, something never experienced here in Japan. Here you can take a car at 100 km/h faster than they and provided they know you're there it's completely safe and they don't get upset at all, call Police, etc. :D
Successive governments have made so many deep cuts to the police forces budgets, they can't afford to put bodies on the streets now. If your in Kent/Essex and some Northern forces they have invested in high revenue earning traffic cars with ANPR. But for the part they just stick up loads of cameras; the local councils do the same, so between the two you are far more likely to get hit by a mobile camera than Plod. No guarantees of course. Get a SatNav with safety camera alerts, that will save you from the fixed cameras. A camera detector will go some way to picking up the mobiles, but the best way to avoid these by far is to watch the oncoming traffic for cars flashing their lights, and cars in the distance braking for no obvious reason. Round here most drivers passing a camera on the opposite carriageway will flash their lights to warn the oncoming drivers; I always do.

Road rage is rife in the UK; too much traffic and the roads are dire in most places now, due to years of underinvestment in the road system. I just replaced all the springs on my car as three of the four had broken due to pot holes.:mad: Overcrowded roads, and everyone in a hurry to get wherever they are going, plus a general lack of respect for their fellow humans make road rage a common problem these days. I see some form of it most days while commuting, I live in a rural area, but commute into the city 20 miles away.

General rule of thumb, if it's a nice fast road it will have cameras on it somewhere.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
That really sounds like horse cookies to me, but you might be hooped and have a warrant issued if you don't pay the second one. Or even if they flag your license they'll get you at your next vehicle registration and won't issue you a new tag until you pay up the outstanding ticket. That's what they do here.

I hate photo radar with a passion and have all my plates coated just in case. Might not work but if it saves me once, it's done the trick. Now they're talking about points on camera tickets too...Dunno if that will pass but if it does I can see a lot of cameras getting knocked out with pellet guns...:mad:

Not that I am not vigilant for speed cameras, but I use one of these on my front no. plates usually.
Plate retracts at about 60km/h and comes back to vertical at town speeds.
Great for maximizing air flow to the radiator! :D

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Thanks Brit RC.

Kinda how I remember the UK. Back around 2000 when I left that was pretty much how I drove, although they didn't have so many mobile cameras in those days.

I'll be driving on my Japanese Intl. licence, so in the event I do get zapped, I'll produce a copy of my Japanese Intl. licence, but by then I'll not be in the UK. They can't put points on these and if I'm not there to pay the fine they can't get me. I'll also take a retracting no. plate mount and use it.

About 12 years ago, I got a fixed penalty fine for minor speeding & overtaking someone on the inside of a 2 lane motorway sliproad, on the inside. I just went around the corner faster than the dawdler on an empty road late at night. Produced my English licence and got 3 points. I was leaving UK in 2 days, so I just paid it before I left, but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

When I think about it, I feel fortunate I live here in Japan. Unmarked cars stick out like a sore thumb, speed cameras must be signposted to be legal and police very rarely set speed traps.... Oh, and virtually no road rage either.

Successive governments have made so many deep cuts to the police forces budgets, they can't afford to put bodies on the streets now. If your in Kent/Essex and some Northern forces they have invested in high revenue earning traffic cars with ANPR. But for the part they just stick up loads of cameras; the local councils do the same, so between the two you are far more likely to get hit by a mobile camera than Plod. No guarantees of course. Get a SatNav with safety camera alerts, that will save you from the fixed cameras. A camera detector will go some way to picking up the mobiles, but the best way to avoid these by far is to watch the oncoming traffic for cars flashing their lights, and cars in the distance braking for no obvious reason. Round here most drivers passing a camera on the opposite carriageway will flash their lights to warn the oncoming drivers; I always do.

Road rage is rife in the UK; too much traffic and the roads are dire in most places now, due to years of underinvestment in the road system. I just replaced all the springs on my car as three of the four had broken due to pot holes.:mad: Overcrowded roads, and everyone in a hurry to get wherever they are going, plus a general lack of respect for their fellow humans make road rage a common problem these days. I see some form of it most days while commuting, I live in a rural area, but commute into the city 20 miles away.

General rule of thumb, if it's a nice fast road it will have cameras on it somewhere.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I'm pretty sure they have the international license thing covered here now. Not sure of the full process, but I remember seeing them catch someone with an international license on one of our reality police shows. If I remember correctly the government have reciprocal agreements with other governments for these things.

The government have well covered the issue of signposting the cameras; they signpost just about every road whether it had a camera or not. Way if they put a mobile on it they are covered.

My best advise if you do actually get stopped ; engage Plod in polite conversation, play dumb; you have been out of the country for so long, just a simple misunderstanding, sorry officer. Goes a long way to finding an amicable solution. That and they might not want all the hassle of dealing with your international license, you may get lucky. I've sweet talked my way out of a few sticky situations over the years, but these days like I said before, round here it's rare to see Plod.

Thanks Brit RC.

Kinda how I remember the UK. Back around 2000 when I left that was pretty much how I drove, although they didn't have so many mobile cameras in those days.

I'll be driving on my Japanese Intl. licence, so in the event I do get zapped, I'll produce a copy of my Japanese Intl. licence, but by then I'll not be in the UK. They can't put points on these and if I'm not there to pay the fine they can't get me. I'll also take a retracting no. plate mount and use it.

About 12 years ago, I got a fixed penalty fine for minor speeding & overtaking someone on the inside of a 2 lane motorway sliproad, on the inside. I just went around the corner faster than the dawdler on an empty road late at night. Produced my English licence and got 3 points. I was leaving UK in 2 days, so I just paid it before I left, but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

When I think about it, I feel fortunate I live here in Japan. Unmarked cars stick out like a sore thumb, speed cameras must be signposted to be legal and police very rarely set speed traps.... Oh, and virtually no road rage either.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Yep, in the event I get stopped I know they like to see people be respectful and have an appetite for humble pie. ;)

In Japan there's no reciprocal agreement on Intl. licences that I know of. It would be a right PITA for Japanese to have to communicate with the UK & vice versa, they really wouldn't want to. Sheesh, even people in England have infinite trouble with the DVLA :eek :p :D

I don't think I'll be getting stopped or fined, as I'll be good. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts