RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Well, what was a great race turned into a major fubar. All the way through, up until the missed exit I had this feeling Marquez was gonna bin it or something. Turns out it was worse than that. Jaysus Hayzoose on a cross what a screw up. Bet there was one hopping mad Japanese dood spewing harsh when that was debriefed! Wonder how you translate FFS into Nihon-jin?:eek:

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, what was a great race turned into a major fubar. All the way through, up until the missed exit I had this feeling Marquez was gonna bin it or something. Turns out it was worse than that. Jaysus Hayzoose on a cross what a screw up. Bet there was one hopping mad Japanese dood spewing harsh when that was debriefed! Wonder how you translate FFS into Nihon-jin?:eek:
It was a painful day for the rookie...lessons learned.;)

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
I knew he would make a major mistake this year. Oh well, it wasn't just him. What's 25 points among freakishly talented aliens anyway? He's still gonna take it. Not that I'm rooting for him, but I think he's got the fire in the belly to get it done.

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
Honda admitted it was their fault, not Marc's: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/110763

I just watched the race last night, and was (un?)lucky enough to avoid the news of his disqualification.

I honestly think that black flagging and disqualifying someone should only be used if a racer or their bike is a danger to the riders. Why not let him finish it out and then you have the whole race to talk with the teams to figure out what happened? Dock him time or even a place if it is that big of a deal. Maybe have him complete a ride through penalty if they really need to do something that bad. I still think ride-through penalties are over used and too harsh sometimes too.

I'd still really like to see the actual rules that were written, because I can see how things could be interpreted the way that Honda is saying they did. Judging by the shit-show way that motogp handled the event, I wouldn't be surprised if they were actually written in the way that HRC interpreted them, and that motogp winds up being the ones with egg on their face.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
I would agree with you, b.miller123. Absolutely right.
Honda's mistake was easily done and gave no significant advantage except perhaps having a slightly clearer pit lane, if that. The last lap was also quite slow for Marquez as the rear tire was badly damaged by then, so again - no advantage as such.
By the time Marquez pulled out, he had no advantage over Lorenzo anyway and had there been no bike change required during the race the position would have been much the same...

They also black flagged a couple of other back runners for similar offences.

Totally out of order by race-direction. They needed to be more understanding of the problems this bike change caused for all. They could have simply ordered him to drop 1-2 positions and even that would have been harsh, bearing in mind the questionable level of advantage Honda gained by pitting after completing 10 laps.

With 2 typhoons approaching Japan together (highly unusual) - one being Typhoon Francisco; a super typhoon, the other Lekimia- although it's unlikely to hit directly on central Honshu Island - usually typhoons bring a lot of rain & winds.

it'll be interesting to see what Moto GP decides to do if the weather is that bad this weekend: http://earthsky.org/earth/typhoon-francisco-expected-to-strike-japan-later-this-week

I guess they could reduce FP sessions, or delay the race a few hours, with cancellation being a last resort if things got really bad. Anyways, will be going with plenty of wet weather protection. Glad we're not riding up and camping in a tent! :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
I have half a notion that if Marquez hadn't clipped Lorenzo on re-entering the track he may not have been black flagged. Wasn't much of a get together but with their history I'm sure Jorge was more than a tad pissed at the young lad. There was quite the lengthy discussion amoung the officials and Honda crew(s) before the bomb dropped. But the crew should carry as much of the blame as anyone, they're the ones using th esign boards ffs! Pedrossa blew the speed limit coming into the pit too, not much of a deceleration lane to haul them suckers down to 60. Like Colin said, it's a race, let us f***ing race.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I believe a ride through should have been appropriate enough a penalty

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
I have half a notion that if Marquez hadn't clipped Lorenzo on re-entering the track he may not have been black flagged. Wasn't much of a get together but with their history I'm sure Jorge was more than a tad pissed at the young lad. There was quite the lengthy discussion amoung the officials and Honda crew(s) before the bomb dropped. But the crew should carry as much of the blame as anyone, they're the ones using th esign boards ffs! Pedrossa blew the speed limit coming into the pit too, not much of a deceleration lane to haul them suckers down to 60. Like Colin said, it's a race, let us f***ing race.
I think in the post race interview with bbc, Jorge said that he had run wide in the corner and that's why they collided. He also mentioned the speed difference and that Marc couldn't really see him there since he was going so much faster.

When you watch the video, you can see marc look back and there are no riders, but as soon as he turns his head Jorge and Dani come into the picture. Not sure what it looked like from Marc's point of view, but the camera makes it look like Marc was thinking he was going onto a clear track.

The increased pit speed limit areas were a fucking joke. They had guys doing stoppies to get down in speed before the entrance and then when they get back out to the track they are going too slow to re-enter safely. Fucking stupid shit.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Can you imagine what it would have been like if Jorge, Dani and Marc had all attempted to pit on at the same time? Dani would have likely taken one of them out.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
Wouldn't that have been a fine cluster fuck if all 3 of them had got tangled up. Not well thought out at all for the pit stop IMO.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
All this because of control tires by one manufacturer who didn't bother to test the surface & just assumed supplying the same tires as last year was the right choice, despite re-surfacing. I wonder if they'll make the same mistake next year? :p

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Yet another tire debacle ruins the potential for a normal distance race with "mandatory pit stops." I really feel for the fans who paid for an admission ticket at the gate to witness their favorite riders in person. :(

I get that rider safety is the ultimate goal but shame on the tire manufacturer for not doing their homework ahead of time. If existing tire technology couldn't support the newly paved track surface, the tire company should have known well in advance, no?

Couldn't help but think about how similar the tire situation from this MotoGP race was to that IndyCar race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway from a few years ago, what an embarassment!

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All this because of control tires by one manufacturer who didn't bother to test the surface & just assumed supplying the same tires as last year was the right choice, despite re-surfacing. I wonder if they'll make the same mistake next year? :p
Maybe not, this is exactly how Michelin found their way out of F1:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Well here is what I found:

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2013/race+direction+decision+for+phillip+island+race

Looks like HRC just fucked themselves. I can't believe an entire race team wasn't able to realize the mistake they were making. Someone should get fired over this.
read an interesting article. Apparently there are problems in the HRC garage. No one spotted the mistake because only Marc and 3 other team mates new he was going to do it.....the rest were not let in on his intent.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts