RC51 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
round 04 France

Anyone watch the race. was a pretty good one. what are your viewpoints on the Simoncelli/ Pedrosa incident?

I'm sorry for Dani, broken collarbone sucks and is going to ruin his season. But i think the ride through was unfair to Simoncelli. I'm not totally convinced it was Simoncelli's fault. he took a risk and went in pretty hot on the outside, but to me it looked like Dani noticed him and stood it up a bit trying to run Marco wide....which didnt work out well for the both of them.
Thats racing, those incidents suck sometimes when riders get hurt, but thats the risk those riders take.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I watched the BBC broadcast and one of the announcers made a good point about how you can't really take back a "ride through" and they should have reviewed the move after the race to make a decision on a penalty.

Based on the angles I saw of the move, it only slightly looked like Pedrosa was trying to muscle Simoncelli out. It looked more plausible that Marco chose a line that was a bit too aggressive, regardless of whether he had an advantage on the exit or not... Marco's decision to shut down Dani was made before the corner's exit. I'm not too familiar with the official rules so I don't know if it was just to call it an "illegal maneuver", but it was definitely pretty dirty.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea i also watched the BBC version. the announcer made a good point.

i agree it was not a clean pass. it was hard to tell fom the angles....BBC made another good comment that they should have reviewed the riders data to see exactly how Dani was Braking.
i guess i'm a little afraid the officials will start calling more of these maneuvers "illegal" and will deter riders from making riskier passes. it just keeps the race more entertaining when you get an unpredictable pass every once in awhile.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Definitely, some of the most exciting moments in motorcycle racing has been because people decided to take risks. Remember that move Rossi made on Stoner a couple years back at Leguna Seca over the sand on the inside? Imagine they called that an illegal maneuver. I think the call also had to do with that formal complaint a few of the riders made about Simoncelli, I bet they wouldn't have made such a harsh call if Marco hadn't had such a history of risky riding.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
im sorry dani is hurt but he knew marco was faster and comming through. it looked to me that dani was to far inside to block maybe and marco looked to take the same line he was taking all race long. his on board telometry shows that he braked exactly the same as he did all race long

·
Registered
51 Posts
Marco cut off Dani's line in an aggressive bid to reclaim the position he had just moments before gained and lost. There were still laps in the race, it wasn't the final lap and he still had a few corners to pull a less aggressive but just as effective move. That combined with the fact that he was already under scrutiny for dangerous riding contributed to his penalty. Plus he kinda got aggressive against a fellow factory rider and that is also frowned upon. There's always two sides to an accident but Marco was the one who was on the hotseat and decided not to reign in his actions.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Marco couldn't make the corner with his move. This is exactly why a penalty should be given.
We want to see the talent race. When they are in rehab we are not getting the best show. Marco has to get the message sooner than later for his own good. Even the mega crasher DePuniet doesn't usually take someone else out when he goes for broke. Lorenzo tried to take the high road with Marco two races ago. What makes Lorenzo tough to beat is that he doesn't make poor choices anymore and won't collapse like a cheap shirt when Rossi applied his brand of pressure for the last two years.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
he would have made the corner without issue if not for pedrosas wheel hitting his. i agree it wasnt the best move considering all the shit allready stirred up. look up the kevin shwantz article on superbikeplanet.com for a riders take on the situation

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
he would have made the corner without issue if not for pedrosas wheel hitting his. i agree it wasnt the best move considering all the shit allready stirred up. look up the kevin shwantz article on superbikeplanet.com for a riders take on the situation
plus one. either way i think things will get interesting in future races....seems like a few new rivalries are beginning. Italians vs. the spaniards.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
is marco slightly dangerous? maybe. will it make this series a hell of alot better to watch? your goddamn right! we have needed this in moto gp

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i agree. the thing is he can ride FAST. does he push too hard sometimes? absolutely,but thats just his personality. just like schwantz. He's fast, different, takes risks, and races hard.....i like him. he's always been like this, who remembers the 2009 250cc race in Mugello? Maybe not this season, but soon enough he will take a championship.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
In the BBC version, the announcers said in the pre-race three riders (Stoner, Lorenzo and Barbara) all had make complaints to the officials. I wonder if they had not done that, would Simoncelli still have had the ride through. I also think if Pedrosa would have kept his lean and line, he would have been OK.

Oh and Race 2 (I think) where was Rossi's penalty for his aggressive attempt of a pass on stoner which led to Stoner being put out? The Officials are not standardized in their application of the rules.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I have no favor for Dani...he is a spoiled little beotch. Its all great when the ride works, if it doesn't he blames every one and everything.

What GP needs is a Haga type that will keep everyone on their toes;) If Marco is it, so be it.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I have no favor for Dani...he is a spoiled little beotch. Its all great when the ride works, if it doesn't he blames every one and everything.

What GP needs is a Haga type that will keep everyone on their toes;) If Marco is it, so be it.
I agree so much and with Dani, he cried and wined until Hayden was gone, I think Dani and his Pit manager needs to go as this could help MotoGP continue to grow and increase the racing. Stop catering to folks like Dani and his pit manager.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I agree so much and with Dani, he cried and wined until Hayden was gone, I think Dani and his Pit manager needs to go as this could help MotoGP continue to grow and increase the racing. Stop catering to folks like Dani and his pit manager.
puig is trying to live through dani cause he could never get it done himself...and i guess herpes medication still hasnt gotten to spain. That guy has had a coldsore for like 20 years!

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
If you watch the slow motion, you see Dani's back wheel come off the ground momentarily shortly before his crash. I guess he tried his hardest to brake, but it doesn't look as if he tried his hardest let go & get around the corner. He didn't have a lot of space, that's true - but difficult to be certain if he'd had enough had he tried to corner with Simocelli, than taking drastic evasive action, but it all happened so quickly it's difficult to get a 100% judgement from footage.

Kinda typical Pedrosa though. Every time he gets overtaken he gets agressive and tries to overtake to re-gain position right away. He's too hot headed. Maybe Simocelli didn't like that and thought, OK - if you try this you'll have an accident and put him in a position he wouldn't have had much choice but to back off, or crash.
Senna used to drive like that, but he didn't get penalised when someone else had a crash (Or maybe my memory fails me :))!

The ride-through cost Simocelli a podium and possibly gave Rossi his first podium of the season with Ducati, but Simocelli deserves a podium sometime soon too, his riding's fast!

As for Dani, it must hurt to break a collarbone again and it may ruin his chances for a top position in the season, but that's racing and he gets well paid / compensated for it.

Does anybody remember Dani taking out his team mate Nikki Hayden in Estoril 2006, potentially costing Nikki the world championship that year (But through fate he still went on to win it). Why did that accident happen? Because Dani wasn't protecting position for his team mate- he was racing him, his front slipped and he took Nikki out of the race.... And Hayden was naturally pissed!!!!!!!!!! Toni Elias was on fire though!! :D

If Dani is saying Simocelli is dangerous, then he's evdiently forgotten this one.. http://www.motogp.com/en/videos/MotoGP+Classics (2006).

I'd definitely like to see Simocelli get a podium soon.
He & Rossi standing up there together would be great to see. As for Dani, maybe he'll tone down the agression. He doesn't bounce very well.

A buddy has tickets booked for 2 of us at Suzuka this year.
It's going to be fun to watch what happens during the races ahead... Looking forward to this weekend's event. :)

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
As for Dani, maybe he'll tone down the agression. He doesn't bounce very well.

A buddy has tickets booked for 2 of us at Suzuka this year.
It's going to be fun to watch what happens during the races ahead... Looking forward to this weekend's event. :)
Who does bounce well??:D My favorite Dani incident is when he tried to do a wheelie and dumped it for the world to see....the bike is 10X bigger than he is!

As for Suzuka, pictures...lots of pictures please.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts