RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All over the news in my area. Three - six bikes a week are getting taken from various locations and the police say its a group that backs up to bikes and they muscle them in the van or trailer and your baby is gone.
The thought of my pride and joy being tossed in a van freaks me out. I went out today and got not one but two styles of locks. I can now tether my bike with a half in thick braided steel, plastic coated line that is 3 ft long so hopefully I can find something solid to tie too. Also got a strong u type wheel lock . Oh and I also got three motion lights for around my house.
I can fit these new locks in my trunk so that's cool. Atleast I can slow the thieves down a little.

This has been going on for a month and the thieves are after sportbikes and high end HD's

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Nice preventative measures....now how about that handgun....gotta protect yourself too.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes thats the area. All kinds of storys floating around at the dealerships and meeting spots.
Thank fully I do not live in an appt. Complex in GR. Own a house 15 mins out of city BUTT I do have a semi enclosed, quite large, dayum neer a garage but not quite.

Today I am getting some quick cement and I'm going to bust a little bit up from under car port and bend up a huge piece of steel bar to have a loop and secured by cement in hole. That will be a great tie to spot for the lock while at home..
Just have to remember its there when I take the dog out for a midnight smoke with no shoes. OUTCH!

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Time to strap on some Jackboots and stomp some arse...

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
I do have a real nice slide batton (weighted steel) that can fit in boot.
Batons are nice, but I have a 1911 that will fit there too and I get 8 swings with it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Bike theft is really, really bad in England. I had my bikes tethered to the garage floor, alarmed, front brake disc lock, garage door locked, two dead bolts attached to the garage door that went into the ground, garage alarmed and then I parked my car infront of the garage door so the door couldn't be opened unless you moved the car first. Which of course, was always locked, alarmed and had a lock on the gear stick which meant it couldn't be moved out of first gear. It might have been overkill but there was no way I was going to deal with the loss of a loved one. Where I live here in the states, different story all together. Thank god.

·
Registered
89 Posts
This makes me realize how well I have it. Not full proof but I store mine on base in the police parking, lot under a camera that is monitored 24/7. When I take it home, it is always covered and right outside my bedroom window.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Bike theft is really, really bad in England. I had my bikes tethered to the garage floor, alarmed, front brake disc lock, garage door locked, two dead bolts attached to the garage door that went into the ground, garage alarmed and then I parked my car infront of the garage door so the door couldn't be opened unless you moved the car first. Which of course, was always locked, alarmed and had a lock on the gear stick which meant it couldn't be moved out of first gear. It might have been overkill but there was no way I was going to deal with the loss of a loved one. Where I live here in the states, different story all together. Thank god.
@#!*% Gina!!! Now that's security. :eek: Smart. I like your idea of locking the gearshifter in 1st -on a locked, alarmed car that's blocking the locked, alarmed garage door that's enclosing the bike. Even Houdini would need more than a few minutes to get past all that. ;)

·
Registered
425 Posts
This makes me realize how well I have it. Not full proof but I store mine on base in the police parking, lot under a camera that is monitored 24/7. When I take it home, it is always covered and right outside my bedroom window.
You dont want to know how many times I heard stories that a bike was stolen from right outside their bedroom window :confused:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You dont want to know how many times I heard stories that a bike was stolen from right outside their bedroom window :confused:
Yeppers that was one of the news stories here... Plus you can add a pitbull that was right there supposed to be on watch.

·
Registered
468 Posts
wow.. guess i better step up my security game.. disc locks wont cut it these days.. hmm..

·
Registered
608 Posts
@#!*% Gina!!! Now that's security. :eek: Smart. I like your idea of locking the gearshifter in 1st -on a locked, alarmed car that's blocking the locked, alarmed garage door that's enclosing the bike. Even Houdini would need more than a few minutes to get past all that. ;)
It was definitely necessary though. I had one of the first K1 gixxers in my town. The street I lived on was a dead end street and a very high income area. I was followed home multiple times by cars which did not belong in my neighborhood. I'd realize I was being followed, pull up outside my house, let the car drive by me and then get off and wait for them to come back. Once the perps would go around the corner they would realize it was a dead end and they would have to drive back by me. So I'd be off the bike and standing in the street waiting for them. A few times they would just stop and stare like some kind of Mexican stand off so I would just pull out my cell phone and pretend to make a call, as if I'm calling the police or something. Then they would just speed past me and I'd get their license plate. The unfortunate truth is that in England, if it isn't nailed to the floor, someone will steal it.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Here is a bit of insider information about bike thieves. Very interesting read.

http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/t5shp/ex_thief_chopshop_operator_ama/
Just went through that thread. Quite interesting if not sad, but to anybody thinking of stealing bikes or selling stolen parts, etc. it also tells a lot about the business. Sounds as if dishonesty is rife throughout the bike business.

As for the UK, I used to carry an expensive but very heavy ABUS Granite chain & padlock to lock my bike to lamp-posts everywhere I left it.
Even though it wasn't ever stolen over 5 years of regular use someone once pushed it over & jumped on top of the fairing in central London. Other friends weren't so lucky & lost their bikes to thieves.

Stories like these make me glad I live in Japan's countryside where there's no theft at all. My bikes are both only steering-locked, our cars often have keys in and we don't have to lock our home when we go out.

Our dog lives by the front door and if anybody ever came at night she'd bark till I'd wake up anyways...
Still, I could never live in the UK again. Theft & a lack of respect for other people's property have only gotten worse since I left 15 years ago and it clearly won't get any better... :(

·
Registered
102 Posts
My bikes in the garage... the wifes car sits outside! Theft isn't so rampant in my immediate area... but then again, I live in California, so it's just around the corner... anywhere I go.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That thread really said alot of whats going on in our bike world... Very sad to hear. No wonder why insurance is so dayum expensive... Very rude for a thief to take a bike from a person who most likely busted thier arse to get it and even be the lowest of low life to go back and take the replacement bike.

Since this crap is going on in my area alot right now I have really stepped up the efforts to keep my much loved RC.... Even totaly went threw and changed the parking and storage area beside my house and to get my bike out they will have to deal with 3 different style locks on bike in different locations. A half inch braided cable secured to reebar loop in concrete and last but not least..... The brand new mini van/kid hauler is completely blocking my bike off to the exit.... I will sleep much better now.......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts