RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen.
When should I replace my stock OEM mufflers with new ones ? Does this depend upon age or mileage or any other issues ?
Mine is an '02 RC with approximately 27000 Miles. I've no issues with my stock cans & do not wish to replace them with aftermarket ones.
I searched the Forum & my Owners' Manual, but could not get an answer to my query.
Thank you all.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
Actually a really good question. Most after market exhaust manufacturers recommend repacking every 7-10k miles. The OEM exhaust will get a lot more miles out of it, not sure how much though. The only indication i really know of is the obvious exhaust getting louder.

Maybe contact a Honda dealer? i'm sure they could look something up for you.

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
It is a very good question my good doctor,
Can you say if they are louder then you remember ?
Also I have come to learn that light cans are usually needing a repack... Due to the packing being burnt out.

Depending on your mileage I would say OEM exhaust would do well with a repack around 15-20k.
Especially the right side.
But most have changed the exhaust long before this time comes with OEM exhaust setup.
Be interesting to see your mileage and what is left in there for packing.
Keep us posted Atif.
:)

Edit... Just reread that... You posted the mileage :rolleyes::)
" Sent from Duck's pond "

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Deadening Decibles.

Thanks, gts455.
The Honda dealer here won't give the time of day, since I did not purchase my bike from them. The RC/SP was not imported into the Kingdom, as far as I know.
The Honda dealer in Houston gave me a vague answer, but said that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". This was last April, when I was there. The stock cans are not any louder than before. But then again, I could be going deaf in my old age !
Being so far away & literally a couple of weeks from spares delivered to me, should I need them, even when I use a 1 - 3 day delivery schedule via UPS/FedEx, you can see how I try to do preventative maintenance on the bike, just so I don't get stuck anywhere with a broken down machine. The time these couriers (UPS/FedEx), take to deliver stuff to my door is frustrating. They always come up with lame excuses.
I already have an FPR & am thinking of adding a Regulator/Rectifier to my order of the rear seat cowl that I lost on my first ride after 2 months, just a few days ago, after the birth of my second son. The last ride I did, I posted on YouTube, just 2 days before he was born in June & then I got so busy that I couldn't go out even for a short ride, until the rear cowl losing lame ride, a couple of days ago.
Now I need a "feel good pill".
I'm wondering if they'll miss a vial of Morphine from the Medicine Cabinet in the ER at work. Hmmm .... ... .. . .
Thank you for your quick reply. I'm in my "On Call Room" at work. Whiling away the time ... . .. .. & life ... ... . . !
Does anyone think I'm depressed ?
It's probably because I shan't get any better until the RC is whole again, with it's rear cowl cover .... . .... .. .

Attachments

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Duck Pond Diagnosis & Demurring.

Hello DuckHunter.
Thank you ever so much for your kind reply.
As I sit alone & depressed in my Call Room at work at 2330 hrs., I feel a little better that there are good members on this Forum to listen to my anguished, lonely & bitter cries for help.
I thank you all from the bottom of my broken heart, Gentlemen.
Thank You !

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
haha sorry to hear you are stuck there. I hate being stuck at work with not much to do. At least you have the forum to help keep you occupied.
I completely understand about the preventative maintenance. Since that is the case it can't hurt to order a set now and just have them as a back up for when they need replacing. Rectifier was a smart move too. I would also track down a spare CDI box and ignition coils as well. They like to go bad on the RC after awhile as well.
Do us a favor, when you do replace the exhaust, cut open the original ones so we can see what kind of wear and tear the OEM's took over that amount of mileage. I would imagine they are pretty hefty.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Spare Sale With Paltry Parts.

haha sorry to hear you are stuck there. I hate being stuck at work with not much to do. At least you have the forum to help keep you occupied.
I completely understand about the preventative maintenance. Since that is the case it can't hurt to order a set now and just have them as a back up for when they need replacing. Rectifier was a smart move too. I would also track down a spare CDI box and ignition coils as well. They like to go bad on the RC after awhile as well.
Do us a favor, when you do replace the exhaust, cut open the original ones so we can see what kind of wear and tear the OEM's took over that amount of mileage. I would imagine they are pretty hefty.

Ha, ha. Thanks for making me laugh out loud, gts455. And thank you for the kind & sympathetic words.
Will also order a CDI & spare ignition coil. Anything else you may suggest would be most welcome.
I already have a spare thermostat body with cover, temperature sensor & seals, etc. I'm also replacing the fuel pump seal & related gaskets.
Should I get a stator & what is it ? If it also has a reputation to fail, that is.
Whenever I replace my stock cans, I shall be sure to gut it out & dissect it, all in the name of science.
Thank you.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
Stator is another big one to have. Other then that it sounds like you got it all covered. Are you ordering most of your parts from the US? i wonder if maybe ordering from Germany, UK, or somwhere in Europe might be quicker. I'm in Germany, let me know if i can help you out with anything.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spare Sale With Paltry Parts.

Ha, ha. Thanks for making me laugh out loud, gts455. And thank you for the kind & sympathetic words.
Will also order a CDI & spare ignition coil. Anything else you may suggest would be most welcome.
I already have a spare thermostat body with cover, temperature sensor & seals, etc. I'm also replacing the fuel pump seal & related gaskets.
Should I get a stator & what is it ? If it also has a reputation to fail, that is.
Whenever I replace my stock cans, I shall be sure to gut it out & dissect it, all in the name of science.
Thank you.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,636 Posts
Doc unless the stock cans have rusted through there is no service interval as the stock cans use no packing (I'm almost 100%)...just a series of chambers and baffles to quiet down the bike.

I just see them rusting anytime soon especially in your climate...

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Double Dosed Post With Diplopia & Depression.

Stator is another big one to have. Other then that it sounds like you got it all covered. Are you ordering most of your parts from the US? i wonder if maybe ordering from Germany, UK, or somwhere in Europe might be quicker. I'm in Germany, let me know if i can help you out with anything.
Thank you for all of your help, gts455. And thank you for your generous offer of help in helping get spares to me quicker.
Sorry for the duplicate post.
Whenever I'm in Riyadh, I order parts from David Silver Spares in the UK. I call Karl & let him know what I want & he lets me know if it's in stock. I then have them sent via UPS for a 3 day delivery schedule, but it sometimes ends up like the last order getting to me after 19 days, due to issues with the local outfit that has the UPS franchise.
By the way. Karl also has an SP1 which he uses at the track. Nice guy & a pleasure to deal with.
I make bulk purchases & bring in the heavy stuff like tires, etc. whenever I'm in the States & then air freight it via Saudi Arabian Airlines. They're efficient & prompt & great to deal with, whenever I go to the Cargo Import section at the King Khalid Airport in Riyadh, to pick up my stuff.
Take Care & I hope you're having fun, riding in Germany. I sure wish I were there .... .. . .

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
I don't have any experience with this company, so I cannot vouch for the quality of the product. So much stuff is made in China these days, even OEM parts.
But they do have stators and rectifier/regulator for our SP1/SP2 at a lesser price than OEM.
http://www.electrosport.com/street-bikes/honda/rvt1000r-rc51-00-01.html?pt=stators

As for the muffler lifespan question, for other issues I've contacted Honda support.
This may be a good question for them.
I don't know what the support number for Honda Powersports is in the middle-east or Europe, but here's the number for the U.S.:

Motorcycle Division
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
P.O. Box 2200
Torrance, CA 90509-2200
Mail stop: 100-4C-7B
Telephone: (866) 784-1870

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Answer Avalanche.

Thank you Nobody. There is no rust anywhere on the bike at all. The ambient average humidity in Riyadh is around 7 %.
Thanks, Madbuyer. I have a spare FPR & will be replacing it soon.
Thank you for your contact with Honda in the States, SubSailor. It'd be good for all to know the answer to the question about when to replace the stock cans.
As for me, the reason I thought of this question in the first place, was that when the rear cowl cover flew off a few days ago, it made a 3 mm dent on the distal, upper end of the left muffler.
And my OCD self can only look at that one spot on the bike & I'm fighting the urge just to replace both OEMs with brand new ones. And validating my wifes' lament of "continuing to throw millions on an old bike, instead of buying a new one !"
As always, thank you from the bottom of my heart for all of your support & kindness.
Take Care, Ya'll.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,189 Posts
AH HA the truth comes out. Buy another set. you will feel better and then take your wife's advice and buy your RC a garage mate :D, that sounds like a go ahead to me.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Terrible Temptations.

AH HA the truth comes out. Buy another set. you will feel better and then take your wife's advice and buy your RC a garage mate :D, that sounds like a go ahead to me.
Ha, ha, ha, gts455 !
Don't tempt me any more than I already am !
Attached is a picture of the RC going into it's "garage", which is actually a room for a chauffeur/driver that most Saudis have, if they live in a house. My wife actually thought up the idea & suggested I park it in that room, since we do not have a chauffeur.
And she has been suggesting I get that V4 that Honda is going to come out with in 2014. But I know I cannot take care of 2 bikes. And I don't have a spare room in the house right now to display the RC on a rotating pedestal. Let's see what happens.
Thank you for your suggestion, 'though. I definitely have OCD !
Now excuse me while I see the last 30 minutes of "Hot Fuzz" on my TV in my Call Room. And then try to sleep ... .. . . .

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
I was going to suggest these, but you'd probably want low mounts, similar to OEM right, Doc? :D

http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/honda-sport-twins-classifieds/79297-ladybird-sp2-all-titanium-banzai-slip-ons.html

Well, you could always ask Simon & see if he has anything to suggest.

I think standard mufflers will last the bike's lifetime, they're not meant to be re-packed.
But they're heavy.

As for loudness, the louder the better for me (Safer).
I'm sure my cans need re-packing by now, but I don't care. Titanium sleeves never burn through like carbon does. :D

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Atif, of course you can care for two bikes. Many of us here have more than 1 and some have a lot more! You must never, ever consider parting with your RC51 and you will always want Honda's new V4 sportsbike. I for one hope you have both someday. Then you can share with us here - what the new one is like! :)

·
Premium Member
2,322 Posts
DR. Atif,

Very beautiful bike you have there, i talked to my local honda dealer and they confirmed that the OEM cans dont need to be packed again.A nice sp2 like that you should have some nice loud pipes to open her up a bit, the rc51 has the most intoxicating of exhaust notes (i can assure you the need for Morphine will dissapear with a turn of the throttle)

the price of OEM pipes new vs. a set of reasonably priced aftermarket pipes is negligible, a set of Ladybirds or Satos and you will never look back.

its nice to see another brown guy on an RC! My family is from India and have my own family practice/laser aesthetics clinic here in the states, there is really is no better medicine than a HRC V-twin.

Cheers and Happy riding

1 - 20 of 33 Posts