RC51 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I have an '00 RC51 that was running great until I parked it for 6 months in the garage during the winter. When I went to start it yesterday, it won't fire up. The fuel pump is working and pumping fuel through the fuel rails and I get no F1 lights in the dash. I lifted up the tank to see what was going on and noticed that the fuel injectors are not opening and injecting fuel into throttle bodies when I start the bike. The bike will run momentarily if I prime it with some fuel by pouring some into the throttle bodies but then of course just dies. The bike has an Power Commander III so I am not sure if that is the problem or not? Or if there is away to test it? Unfortunately whoever owned the bike before me hardwired it into the existing wiring harness connecting under the tank so its the last thing I want to disconnect before checking with you guys. Anyone able to help me diagnose this problem? Trying to save having to take it into a shop.

Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Did you use a fuel stabilizer when you parked the bike for 6 months? If not, then the injectors are plugged up - take them to a dealership to have them cleaned.

If you did use a stabilizer, then check to see if the injectors are getting a signal.

Eric

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I used fuel stabilizer and ran it through the bike for about 10min before shutting the bike off for the winter.

When you say check for signal on the fuel injectors do you mean if they are getting any power (voltage). Do I just use a volt meter on the wires leading into the injector connector? If it reads Zero(0) volts then I know its not working? If that is the case then what is the next step?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem was the Power Commander unit. I disconnected the Power Commander III and its started right up! Runs great. I need a new PCIII now. Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
34 Posts
PC

The problem was the Power Commander unit. I disconnected the Power Commander III and its started right up! Runs great. I need a new PCIII now. Thanks for your help guys.
hahahahaha...same thing happened to me when I got back from deployment. I forgot to connect it!:eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts