RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A little over a month ago, I lent my quite pristine VFR I've had since 1993 to a young girl, feeling sorry for her as she's ran a bike for 8 years whilst living in Paris, but then hadn't had a bike for the last 2 years.
As she was thinking of what bike to get, I figured it would be good to let her try mine...

The bad news was she dropped it on the 2nd day - but was not only really sorry but totally cool and paid for new parts to replace those she's damaged.
The good news is she had even test ridden a new 800 but still liked mine enough to let me find a more affordable VFR - and I found her a near perfect '99 VFR800, but that's another story.

For some time I'd been collecting parts to improve mine. It already had Maxton suspension and 6 piston Harrison front calipers & some other mods, but as I had an almost complete front end from an RC51 that I'd taken off my other bike when upgrading to higher performance parts, it seemed the right thing to use it to modernise the VFR's front end.
The RC51's forks had been re-worked by www,maxtonsuspension.co.uk already and I'd recently replaced the seals, oil, etc. Discs are 320mm stainless items from Braketech which I'd previously used on the SP2.

I won't list all the other parts bought for this project, but suffice to say aside from RC51 original parts, there are carbon parts from Magical Racing (You'll see the products in more detail later), rear sets made for a CBR900, Arata (?) Titanium exhaust silencer with high-level mid pipe, Tyga top triple clamp, etc.

One RC51 owner & enthusiast kindly not only gave me his original SP1 lower triple (SP2 won't fit a VFR750), but also polished it to perfection. If that wasn't enough, he also gifted me new Honda bearings, seals and locking tab + the two lock rings. He also gifted me some other parts he didn't need and went out of his way to get a front spindle when another I'd been promised - fell through.

Matt (a.k.a Duckhunter) - you're a true legend my friend. I was smiling yesterday night because of you - not least when I realised I'd ordered VFR750 bearings of which the bottom one was the wrong size!!)

Big thanks also goes out to Simon Kobe Japan. He found me a titanium can with correct adaptor to work with the mid pipe I'd had made in the UK.
e-mailed me about it with lots of pics on Friday evening, Saturday morning just as I was starting work on the project... it turned up. Thanks Simon -you're a gentleman every time!

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
This had arrived about a month ago, but I didn't want to use it for just a silly reason - but yesterday I finally opened the box...!

Cool tool!

Took about 20 minutes to assemble & work out how it works. So glad I bought this....

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I now have some Maxton re-worked original forks, Harrison billet 6-pot calipers with perfect fitting JLS hoses & CBR1000F master cylinder, (2 of) original front wheel(s)...
All will fit 1990-93 VFR and some other models of Honda too.

If anybody is interested in these parts, PM me.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Late Saturday night, I got on with the work of assembling the RC51 front end onto the VFR.
The original oil cooler needed to be raised, so the pipes wouldn't interfere with the lower triple. :)

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This was the damaged side...

With the help of the stand, the front end soon came off:

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Some more clearance & interference challenges needed to be resolved. Aside from the oil cooler needing to be mounted higher (I carefully tweaked the bracket holding the 2 row core, so it would sit a little higher & re-routed the oil lines from above), I also ground off some of the welding, etc. on the rear corners of the screen brace in addition to shortening the original lock stops which are useless on the RC51. Instead the bump stops now work by touching the aluminium fork legs against the screen frame. Will put something there for projection soon too. :)

Fitting tires is easy peasy, thanks to John's comments and guidance last year!

Balancing is also easy with this too (Which will also work on a VFR if needed :)

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was a relief to see the front wheel sits a decent distance towards the belly fairing.

Still got to get some original front wheel spacers, bolts to secure the calipers onto the forks, new brake hoses - plus more, but the pics below will show show how the bike looks now...

I only realised after installation that I'd chosen a spare original SP2 dark gun metallic wheel rather than silver, but I think I like this colour more than Silver now.
Sometime maybe during winter I'll get both front & rear wheels powder coated I think...

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I still haven't worked on the rear end, but some exciting things going on there shortly.

High positioned Arata Titanium Silencer with custom link pipe (from UK).
Rear sets from a CBR900 RR
Maxton GP10 shock with remote reservoir).

Also need to order new brake lines, 2 spacers for front wheel spindle (I have none here at present). Stainless caliper pinch bolt set & caliper mounting bolts to secure each wheel, etc.

One difficulty I hadn't forseen before is that the handlebar clamps site the bars too far forward, so I cannot turn the steering properly. This will be resolved shorty...

My favourite mirrors. (Magical Racing with wide view mirror glass).

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Very nice, you have some extremely nice goodies on that and should be interesting with the RC front end.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys! :D

Have just ordered a set of Convertibars, which should allow me to get the exact handlebar positioning I want. Might be useful for some to fit these to their RC51 if not comfortable with positioning... ;)

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
Looking good, been a long time coming and hoarding stuff away, glad to see the progress finally.:p;)

Glad the Sp1 triple set worked out for you, I had a feeling you would be able to make use of the " extras " I sent along with everything.

No wonder my ears were burning :rolleyes::D

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Duck. Really, man - you totally helped me out there.
At around 1.30am, tired from working on the bike since just after lunch, as I went to press a new VFR750 fitment taper roller bearing into the bottom triple, I realised it was of the wrong inner diameter! :(

I then looked and found a new Honda SP1's in the little baggie you sent me. I hadn't even realised it was there!
Then I also noticed brand new dust seals, the dust cap, even a new locking tab for the rings. Basically everything I needed but didn't even know I had!

So your kindness made it possible to finish the assembly on Saturday night. Really appreciated that, buddy. :)

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
And thanks also for the slider bolt for the front spindle, Duck - that was a sweet touch, bearing in mind the disc's floating inserts are the same colour! :)

I don't have a close-up picture of it, but here's one of the other side. Remember how dirty those calipers were before? Well - they came out nice after dousing with wheel cleaner whilst I fitted the front tire & balanced it. :p

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I has a few titanium bits left over from my RC51 project, so I fitted front caliper nipples & banjo bolts to the bike this morning... before ordering all the remaining front caliper parts from Probolt. Stainless wasn;t a whole lot cheaper than titanium so as I already had Ti pinch bolts on the fork legs, etc. I figured I may as well go all Ti!

The standard items corrode if used in all weathers, but titanium certainly won't. :p

Now somewhere in a box I think I may still have the original front wheel spacers... Need to find those...

Once the new handlebars & bolts get here, I should be able to re-assemble the remainder - but I'll also have the new Maxton rear shock to fit. Hmm, maybe about 3 weeks from now it'll be back on the road. Looking forward to riding it again.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did a little more work on a public holiday last Monday and thought I'd post here to document the changes for anybody that may be interested in doing similar modifications to their's.

Difficult to find a high-level link pipe for the VFR, but I managed to get one from Predator in the UK (not the greatest quality or fit & very poor customer service, but after a bit of cutting & bending - it worked).
I was able to fit a full titanium silencer (at 1kg it weighs a fraction of what the link pipe does) made by Trickstar in Japan. Fortunately no modification to the silencer was needed at all.
Just waiting on a badge from them. I used some spare Akrapovic springs and clamp to secure the silencer to the mid pipe. I used a heat gun to bend the rear fender inward and a dremmel to cut a small section of the underside of the side panel. There's no interference at all and the silencer is well secured now.

I got some CBR900RR rear sets from Ebay. They fit with a standard RC51 heel plate used to space a CRF250 rear master cylinder far enough that it clears the frame and is in the right position for the pivot pin.
I needed to find a suitable eye bolt & do a little cutting & drilling, but it all works fine now. Still awaiting a pressure switch / banjo bolt so I can remove the old master cylinder and fit the brake hose.

Right side rear set also fitted without much drama. Just needed to make a suitable spacer to bring the rod out from the sprined shaft's pivot and also to allow the side stand cover to be retained (With just a little trimming off the top).
I will be putting flanged M6 nuts either side of the splined pivot to prevent twisting, but this is working fine now.
As a contingency plan I could still use the original shift lever if this doesn't last well - but would prefer the adjustability there is now. I have a couple of spare pivots in case this solution doesn't last well.
Also missing a left threaded lock nut, which I borrowed for a friend's RC51, but will source one from Honda.

Fitted a set of convertibars and now there's no interference with the fairings at all. Positioning is pretty much same as original with wider bars. I'll adjust more later.
For now I've opted to keep the RC51's clutch master and a Brembo RCS 19 brake master. Still on the fence about fitting RC51 kill switch & starter with race style throttle, or leaving with original right side switch gear.
If I change, I'd lose the ability to switch lights on and off. Not something I use usually but if the battery gets flat this is useful. I suppose I could always pull a fuse for the lights in case of emergency.

Still haven't fitted brake lines for the front. I wanted to get the handlebars sorted first, so I can decide on exact routing and line lengths, then buy the components to make them...
That should come soon.
I've used the original cables which just fit. Longer ones I received from convertibars are of the wrong dimensions & lengths and could never work on a VFR, maybe there's something they can do.

I've also bought an NSR250 MC28 swing arm assembly for $200. The eccentric assembly is of same dimensions as the VFR and the brake rotor mounts are same too. Some research shows that the sprocket carrier size is same as an RC30's; in fact pretty much everything is of same dimensions as RC30, except the spacer, which is same as NC30/35, etc. As it's the same sprocket carrier size as the RC30's - this means getting 530 sprockets shouldn't be too difficult, even off the shelf here in Japan. I'm keen to lose the ugly cush drive housing. As RC30, RC45 & NR750 didn't have a cush drive, the VFR doesn't really need it either...

I've also possibly located an underslung kit from Tyga which I can use with parts from the MC28 assembly, in combination with the original VFR750 swing arm &some minor modification. Assuming I'm right, then I'll be able to replace the rear caliper with a muhc prettier gold Brembo 84mm P4 unit.

So once this assembly arrives and I find some time, I'll do some tinkering to see if it will all work in harmony.

I've also been in touch with Dymag and they can make wheels to fit the MC28 hub, so a set of these CA5's will be on the cards in a few months.... It'll look a lot better with carbon wheels. The darker colours will break up the excessive silver nicely, I think.

Assuming this all comes together, I'll be asking a Pete at Ti64 in the UK to make me a few small parts including a titanium spacer & shaft lock nuts for the MC28 hub and maybe a few other small parts.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The Maxton rear shock is a work of art... Unfortunately they supplied it with the hose from the shock pointing the wrong way and the reservoir also facing inward rather than outward where it would be mounted on the right side of the bike (On the passenger footpeg carrier).
Hose is also too short.

Ah well, it'll go back to them to sort this out shortly. No rush - the bike has an old Maxton shock on currently which is still servicable but probably too soft for the RC51 forks which were also re-worked by them.

·
Premium Member
4,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, put it this way.... I've never been stopped on a bike yet (touch wood!). :eek:
BTW - thanks again for the Trick Star silencer. Wasn't sure it was going to fit at first, but after cutting the link pipe it went on like it was always meant to be there. :)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts