RC51 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, the day has come where I could not start my girl after a winter nap. The battery was inside all winter and I gave it a charge before putting it in to circulate the oil after a fresh change.

Riders Discount did me a solid by sending me a duplicate receipt. The warranty period has lapsed by a few days. However, the tech service person at Star Motion asked me to send it in along with the charger I bought specifically for that unit so they could test it.

It shipped today and I am waiting to hear back about their analysis.:cool:

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Hope it works out.

If you have to buy another battery, note that LDH helped a member here diagnose ignition issues on their RC51 and it turned out to apparently be caused by a Ballistic Li battery.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Well, the day has come where I could not start my girl after a winter nap. The battery was inside all winter and I gave it a charge before putting it in to circulate the oil after a fresh change.

Riders Discount did me a solid by sending me a duplicate receipt. The warranty period has lapsed by a few days. However, the tech service person at Ballistic asked me to send it in along with the charger I bought specifically for that unit so they could test it.

It shipped today and I am waiting to hear back about their analysis.:cool:
Is this a Alien Motion or a Ballistic battery?

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, my slip.....once I hear back from Star, I will post up their findings.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Notes from the bench test of the battery

"We received your battery and here are the notes from tech:
-- Received with 10.31v's. Bank 4 completely drained. AM1 charger
would not charge with such a low bank, would have gotten flashing lights
from charger to indicate Protection Mode. Discharged battery and
performed restore charge, and it is holding charge. Capacity is down
some and it shows some sign of increased resistance. Ready to return.
It will not be as fresh and strong as a new battery, but should be
usable."

I am not sure exactly what the extent of the capacity is down or the increase in resistance.

One concern I have is the increase in resistance as that usually equates to an increase in heat output.

Once I install the battery and turn the engine over, I will post up if there is any decreased ability to crank it over.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
That isn't very inspiring. It sounds like you had the battery off the bike. That is quite a drop for an Li battery unplugged over such a time period. Hope it works out and look forward to you reporting how it goes.

I've had my shorai off the bike the last two winters though I store it in a cool place at around 50F (recommended even cooler). No charge before storage. A few weeks back it tested 13.2V and I gave it a top up charge.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, its not. I even offered partial payment for a new replacement but received silence as an answer.

I started the bike today and it cranked over just fine. Like I said, the heat factor is what I am concerned about with the increased resistance.

So far I am luke warm with the service I received from Star.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've had a good experience with my AM LiFePO4 battery. My bike sat without any activity over the past 5 months. Turned it on last week for the first time since November and it started right up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts