RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 386 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok...I initially began to have an engine built for my 2004 repsol replica RC but before that project really began, I found what I thought to be a better base starting platform=SCOTT's bike. many of you knew this bike from photos on the web....Yean, I agreed-it looked good in the photos that were 5-6 yrs old; however, after purchasing and riding the bike a few times, I realized that I needed to combine the parts from both my repsol replica and Scott's bike.

Scott's bike had a modded electrical setup, chopped subframe, trick Japanese switches, sato rearsets, sato hangers and a few goodies I wanted to keep.

Scott's bike was setup waaaayy too soft for me, had older ohlins forks, a worn out engine that would sputter and cut out on me on the way too work, brakes were average on the street and I hated the shape of the brembo levers.

My repsol replica had AK gas forks, and ohlins shock setup for my weight, moriwaki Ti rainbow exhaust that I had just purchased, a DH air box and snorkel that was better thatn the turn 1 unit on Scott's. I also had newer BST wheels with a warranty and serial numbers, Ti bits, CF pieces, tyga triple, 18a vs 14a shorai battery, extended AL kickstand nicer seat yada yada.

Soooooo....For those that were bitching, whining, complaining, cussing that I AM PARTING OUT SCOTT'S BIKE, it isn't so...see, I'm left with his bike and tittle so, in my opinion, its isn't PARTED OUT, I am merely swapping parts that I prefer for myself. My repsol replica will be sold close to stock when I am don so, which frame/ title did I keep? Scott's!

So, enough of the whining that I PARTED OUT poor Scotty's bike, like f#$king his ex wife or something..he didn't want it-he got rid of it. case closed.

I have a few picvs of the weekends activities with JONDOG, CHYLWILL, and RCDEVIL swapping out parts and a few pics of the shops work on the engine so far.
enjoy.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Cool project and excited to see what your engine produces :D

My only bitch was not having the funds to pick up the BST's :(

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bitch

hey rock...no the bitching was with lots of people on several forums including scott on what I was doing-calling it PARTING IT OUT! Well, IMO, the replacement parts are superior or more to my liking than what he had...It may have looked nice at one time, but it was ridin hard and needed some work, including the engine...Im just taking up where he decided to bail and go to a beemer..Im keeping his bike alive but in my own way...Like taking his ex wife and buying her a new dress..Hey, if you got rid of it you can bitch.....

TKS extrapolator....been planning this engine for 2 months or so, buying, stashing parts, but the shop is plastigauging the rods/crank as we speak...hope the bearing I have work or its 3 days of waiting..

ALSO, at some point, one of my heads was damaged. I don't know if it was shipped that way by TXfireblade, damagaed at swain tech or in return shipping, but it is a significant gouge in the mating surface that will have to be welded and milled, losing some of my ceramic coating in the combustion chamber on that head (see pic).

SUCKS!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Gotcha. Sucks about the nick, hope it get sorted out soon so I can see what that engine of yours produces.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if the new bearings I bought produces the correct clearance, the bottom end will already be done today....Since the carillos have no matching numbers, it would be maybe 1 in 5 chance if it happens...we will see...other case bearings have been gauged and are within spec...rings, pistons all gapped...just waitin to assemble the rods and then it should go very smoothly until they get to the heads.....sucks, can't lap in the cams, set valves etc...have to waiti until the head is repaired and valve job done at the same time....so, I look forward to end of next week until things get rolling good.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
crank clearances

Rod clearances using the smallest (yellow) bearings, produced clearances of .001 and .0015, within .001-.0025 specs. A little tight, but OK...case bearings will be checked just after lunch when the guys return. Hopefully, the case codes of grren and brown bearings will be within spec and the bottom end can be installed.

A few pics of the rotating mass and heads/intake port.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,322 Posts
yes! finally its own thread....this bike will easily be top 5 in the country for how much work has gone into every little detail

·
Premium Member
2,322 Posts
it will be one SWEEET ride when its done, i cant think of anything else but a few bolt ons that this bike doesnt already have

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
main bearings checked within spec with marked grren/brown bearings. stretch bolts were some how not ordered with all the other bearings, seals etc, so waiting to close cases by bead balsting the lower case that wasn't blasted by millenium.

yea debil, it don't lack much..CF tank, monoblocks....There are sweeter overall bikes but the engine is getting grade A treatment from a shop that hosts a national AMA race team...the guys know what they are doing fer shur fer shur.....I don't really want to chase the "trickest bike" theme as I have done with my car...gotta know when to quit....Just want a ton a torque at the twist of the handle that rides pretty good.

Mike Pond, the owner and AMA racer, used to compete on The RC and knows how to tune it.....asking for max torque and midrange more than 11,5000 hp numbers where the cams drop off.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Since I had a hand in helping you for two days, I'm definitely following this thread!
Hope things go smoothly, but we know those damn obstacles do arise.
Best of luck Ogie, I haven't seen any of the fuss about parting out, but when this bike is done, that should quell any hard feelings folks may have. She'll be a top runner - that's for sure.
Party on Garth!

·
Premium Member
4,561 Posts
Looks like you got the engine details under control.

Good luck with the motor, It is the one thing I never plan to mess with too much...:)
Other then the light weight alt/flywheel and some other very small mods.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wait...

Waiting on stretch bolts and head resurfacing. Decided to keep stock plastics anf tank on shelf-bought chinese plastics (I know, I know) of a nodified design. Planing to paint tank white with a possible 2 red, angled stripes, 1 on each side to match the lower fairings. Thinking of putting RC 51 in black letters with white pre-shadowing in the red striped area. Red honda wing emblem and the nikky signature will finish up the tank....At least it won't look stock and be confused as "SCOTT'S BIKE"....LOL

a few other little stickers and that will be that...engine should be complete in 1-2 weeks-week-week of install, bug workout-2-3 days of heat cycles dyno-week paint---looking at mid Dec for finish-then into a shipping crate with casters and foam and she hibernates for a few months until I decide where I'm going next!

updates to come.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 386 Posts