RC51 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as above. I noticed it was really slack when me and my bro (nc30) were out on our last ride. So i tightened it and everything feels gr8. ive only done 100 or so miles since then and gradually its starting to look slightly slack again.

I used all the correct Torque settings for the axle nut too, all done by the book!

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Take pictures of your adjusters on each side. (For my reference)

Pull the adjuster bolts all of the way out of the swing arm and check their condition as well as the threaded holes in the swing arm.:cool:

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Before going crazy with diagnoses, start with the simple stuff that is the common culprit.

First, you know there is supposed to be slack. More slack than many people think and do when adjusting, which when it is too tight exponentially wears out a chain and sprockets. For many the most common cause of chain stretch is that the chain is being tightened too much when adjusted.

Next, if the chain worn out to the replace area of the adjuster guide, yes a chain can stretch faster. Replace then.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
the adjuster bolts were replaced as part of my winter project. theyre brand spanking new
How do they fit? Are they tight fit or lose fit? Jamb nuts secure?

Just thinking of the obvious.

Also, make sure your counter sprocket is tight too....seen those loosen up and cause troubles.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
If necessary, better to err on the too loose side than too tight side with chain slack. Though correct adjustment is the preference.
Also, chains don't stretch. They wear. Specifically the roller bushings.
When the bushing wear, the center-center distance increases causing increasing force on the side lobes of the sprocket teeth.
This why a worn out chain causes worn sprockets with a hook shape in the teeth.
Clean and lube the chain often to remove road grit, which can wear the O-rings. Usually around every 600 miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts