RC51 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did my fan switch mod today.. here are some pics, possibly to help future new rc51 owners perform this task..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
nice one man, good clear pics there. would prob wanna do this myself one day but ive got an sp1 with only one fan, so prob wouldnt make much difference with my bike

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
I did it on my SP1 just to see how it works out this summer here in the desert. Sometimes I will get stuck in traffic and would like to be able to turn the fan on longer. I haven't had an issue but sometimes when I'm in the canyons it gets warm and I'd like the longer cool down with the fan during the quick breaks.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have that mod done on my SP1 and I get stuck in traffic quite a lot on very hot days.
If I see a jam comming up I will flip the switch ahead of time and it keeps her below 200 even if I sit threw the same dayum light 5 times.
Its nice to flip the switch before she gets to the auto switch.

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
Do you have the switch wired directly to the fan? Or is it going through the relay? You really should use the relay, even if your switch is rated for what amps the fans will pull.

That and since you have an SP2, are you turning on both fans with that switch, or is it just one coming on?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
b.miller, i have the switch wired to provide a ground signal (basically the black wire off of the relay, but further downstream, at the left side fan connector).. this wire is also directly connected to the other fan motor as well (from the factory).. there really is no difference in connecting it further downstream, in this circuit anyway.. just eliminates having to remove the tail section and running a longer wire.. and to answer your question, the switch and wiring i wired in is rated for 20 amps, and both fans will run when the switch is "on"... i'm attaching a circuit picture to help others that may have questions with this mod..

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts