RC51 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just came home with 2002 RC51 SP2 with 17K miles. Been on my bucket list for years.

I have been riding for 20 yrs. This is hands down my most exciting and powerful bike I ever rode. Torque monster. Amazing sound!

Pros.
-The engine!
-The engine and the engine.
-Fuel injected.
-The LCD Speedo
-Overbuilt!
-Soul

Cons.
-The ride. Super stiff! (SINCE LEARNED Front forks needed overhaul) 300.00
-The weight from being overbuilt.
Twitchy throttle = Rubber bushings MISSING in rear wheel Hub! Getting fixed now. 65.00

What should I do to improve the bike? Where can I get an PDF file for the manual? Thanks in advance for any advice on preserving and improving this great bike.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Welcome to the addiction! :grin2:

I actually have never gotten used to the digital display, I'm old-school in that respect, I like gauges. Everything else you mentioned, though, is awesome, and just remember as you're grinning from ear to ear from the acceleration that the extra weight is there to beef up the frame to keep it from twisting as the dragon of a powerplant tries to tear itself free >:)

Another improvement I can recommend is an HRC quick-ratio throttle tube. It made the whole machine feel more controlled and less twitchy, admittedly the opposite of what I expected when I installed it. Cheap and quick to install, too.

Reactions: jondog9

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This bike hates being under 30mph. It's like wtf. Man up.

My speedo is 10% too fast also.

Today I went to my Honda Dealership. Looked at all the new bikes and the prices. Wtf. Cheap looking and insane prices. 18k for cbr1000? 12k for 600rr. I'll keep my rc51 and upgrade it.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
if you are not running OEM gearing then the speedo will not read accurate speed. You can buy a speedo healer to fix that. As far as the ride being stiff I would start with setting the sag first (adjusting your spring preload for your weight both on the forks and on the rear shock) on the rear shock the compression adjustment is the black knob at the top of the shock. Turn it clockwise to add dampening. So if you turn it all the way clockwise that will be the max compression dampening.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The best solution for me to the twitchy throttle was changing to 15/41 sprockets and installing a Power Commander. The PC mapped by Kyle Racing smoothed out the low speed throttle and the gearing raises the rpm at low speed which helps to smooth out those on/off throttle transitions.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Since the bike is new to you, get your hands on a Honda Service Manual and go through section 3, all the maintenance stuff. That'll familiarize you with all the basic stuff. Ride and see, but I have to agree with what's already been said, suspension upgrade is the biggest improvement that the RC51 responds too. It really takes the bike to a whole new level.
I'd suggest clearing the ECU's Self Diagnostic Memory. If there's anything there, it's old issues. Now if you get a blinking FI light, you'll know any codes you read will be new and relevant.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts