Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
First bike: 2003 Yamaha YZF600
Second bike: 1991 Yamaha Virago 1100
Third bike: 1992 Suzuki EX500
Fourth bike: 2005 RC-51
I am picking the bike up tommorow. I am so insanely happy. Used (obviously) 17,000 miles. Black. Akrapovic exhaust + Power Commander. The bikes in great shape, services, the whole nine.

One question boys... what kinda ride am I in for!?

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Welcome You'll enjoy it, but you may want to set the standard suspension up better if it's not good when you get the bike. You'll probably want to give it a good check-over to make sure it's all well adjusted, lubed, etc.

Keep it above say 4,500 rpm - it responds better that way & let us know how you get on. :)

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
One question boys... what kinda ride am I in for!?
Compared to your old rides, a torque-a-thon :cool:

Compared to new bikes, a slow heavy pig :p

Stick with the former, and ignore the latter ;)

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Aw, they're not THAT heavy...:eek:

I believe mine (wet) weighs less than a new HRC Blade (dry), judging from the last time it was on scales. :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
The best description I have seen is from LDH's website:

If you are a good rider it will prove & exploit your skill to the world, if you are mediocre it will kick you in the teeth & laugh at you. It is purpose built for strafing curves, serious commuters or tourers need not apply. It can light a fire in your soul that is not fueled by adrenaline, but by passion & when you ride it nothing else matters except it, you & making the next turn.

·
Registered
120 Posts
A blast to ride for sure. A bit heavy and sluggish in slow corners, but stabile and agile at speed... It just begs you to open the throttle, Like a dog waiting for you to throw a ball...

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
The best description I have seen is from LDH's website:

If you are a good rider it will prove & exploit your skill to the world, if you are mediocre it will kick you in the teeth & laugh at you. It is purpose built for strafing curves, serious commuters or tourers need not apply. It can light a fire in your soul that is not fueled by adrenaline, but by passion & when you ride it nothing else matters except it, you & making the next turn.
Nah, best description was from same person-of-interest, but different point-of-view...

Dear Penthouse this one time I was on my RC51 and an entire team of NFL cheerleaders noticed me and got so hot and bothered that the entire parking lot was covered in moisture. They all took turns screwing my brains out before calling their little sisters to come finish the job because I had over-exerted them to the point of exhaustion and they could not continue. It was awesome. The End.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know the rides a beast! Im so ridiculously excited to suit up and ride. The weight is the same as my YzF600 actually the yamaha was a bit heavier, so im used to lugging heavy girls out to the curves. Anyone know what kind of effect the power commander and after market exhaust make on the bike? Assuming the owner who applied these mods tuned the bike afterwords...

·
Registered
447 Posts
With two huge cylinders and huge throttle butterflies, low RPM throttle response can be "snatchy" and the power commander usually smooths out the response. When tuned properly it allows you to accommodate the aftermarket exhaust along with any intake modifications that have been made.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The PC III USB I put on my 2003 RC and after it was on, it felt like I was riding a completely different bike. Like others have said, the throttle response was snatchy and the bike bucks you around at low speeds.

With the right mapping the PC sorts all that stuff out. I highly recommend putting one on.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Those must be some old quote from the Lord Duck Hunter, last I've read from him about the RC's is that they are old, heavy and slow. But don't let him fool you, he is still hording parts for when he gets another RC.

Personally I can not compare the RC to other sport bikes, but I was talking to a buddy of mine over the weekend who had newer 636 before his SP2. He said that the RC feels more stable, has a lot more confident on it, simply the bike does what its told and he couldn't believe that the RC weighs more.

I also recommend a Power Commander

Lets see some pictures man!

James

·
Registered
510 Posts
^^ and the man who sold me the Power Commander

Thanks again James!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Aw, they're not THAT heavy...:eek:

I believe mine (wet) weighs less than a new HRC Blade (dry), judging from the last time it was on scales. :)
I pulled out all my old Performance Bike magazines last night looking for all the SP1/2 articles, there was one were it was put up against newer bikes of the day (2009), the thing i noticed was differences between claimed and measured weight between our bike and a lot of the newer stuff

example:

Honda SP1
claimed dry weight 200kg
measured wet weight 213kg

Ducati 1198s
claimed dry weight 169kg
measured wet weight 197kg

Suzuki GSXR-750 K9
claimed dry weight 165kg
measured wet weight 203kg

Aprilia RSV1000R
claimed dry weight 189kg
measured wet weight 218kg

So to me it just looks like its the marketing department kinda bending the truth and saying their getting lighter each year than they actually are, so our bikes aren't "THAT" lardy, fair enough bikes are now 5 years on from the time written in that article, but i bet it's still happening.

I wouldn't know as haven't looked at any bike mags recently, in fact if you put the current 2014/15 litre bikes in front of me with no manufacturer badges and out of their usual livery colours i'd probably struggle to tell you what bikes are what from the japanese side, the more higher end stuff like Ducati's usually have something like the trellis frame that makes them more identifiable so they would be a bit easier to pick out.

·
Super Moderator
6,481 Posts
As a side note, I was searching through some old WSBK articles and found the weights for the HRC spec SP2 varied from 370 lbs (Colin's bike) to 376 lbs (Nicki's bike).

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Mine is about 195 kg wet (Maybe less as it's been a while since it was last weighed :eek:). It's lost a fair bit of weight if the measured amounts are to be believed... but compared to Hayden's bike (171kg) it's still heavy! Dan SP1's is not far off Nicky's though...! :)

Once I fit a few more Ti parts I should get the weighing scales out again... But even when I first got her, to me she's always been a well built lady, not a fatty! :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So picked the bike up from the dealer yesterday and took the two hour ride back home... All highway. Its...its...its... AMAZING!!! I'm posting pictures tonight thanks for your interest. I'm glad I've found you all because my support group and my girlfriend are already tired of me talking about this bike. The power, the sound, and my god the feel. Not to mention the looks holy poop is she georgeous. I'm not even that out of shape but I've decided to start hitting the gym again because it would make me a better rider and to try and compete with how pretty a girl I'm taking out. Its a little bear on a tricycle right now. Well time to go ride again!!:D

·
Registered
284 Posts
Congrats on the bike, you'll love it! That sound when you let of the throttle before a roundabout, just to get back on it around it, nothing like it :)

example:

Honda SP1
claimed dry weight 200kg
measured wet weight 213kg

Ducati 1198s
claimed dry weight 169kg
measured wet weight 197kg

Suzuki GSXR-750 K9
claimed dry weight 165kg
measured wet weight 203kg

Aprilia RSV1000R
claimed dry weight 189kg
measured wet weight 218kg
Considering 18 liters of fuel weighs 13.5kg somethings way off with their weight of that SP1.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts