RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up this bike $2100, 11k miles, clear title, and with like new 2Bros carbon cans. has been down on the left side and the plastics are all pretty much ragged, but it is sound mechanically i think. pretty much all stock minus the cans.

I have heard of the soft rev limiter mod. and the flapper, but not sure if that has been done yet.

I am hoping to do some day trips with this bike, up to 400 mile days i hope at least. I am open to any tips folks would care to share, that are some must do mods and such. suspension setups, just whatever.. not sure what mods need to be done for the cans.. it smells like it is running fat but i am not sure what to do about it. i wonder if these are good performing cans? they sound amazing.

I will be replacing all the plastics with some "hong kong foooey" plastics and working on some blinker/ undertial issues. will try and post progress as i go along. Hoping to have a result similar to fender13.

I am in need of a passenger seat. if anyone doesn't want and arm and a leg for one.. ? buehler, buehler??:confused:

I have heard of conflicting reports on how many of this year model were made and i wonder just how collectible they are? I would love to keep this all oem if that was the case, but reality dictates that this bike is going to be a rider for me and i am on a budget, so a factory resto is just not in the cards for this guy. i am still curios though.
IMG_0266.jpg

IMG_0267.jpg

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Great deal...but don't be usin' HKP's name in vain!!!:eek::D
love this!
i refer to it/him only with the highest form of respect..... and ultra cheap exchange rate of course. :D

looking at "MOTOMARTS"auctions right now... looks to be quality er... "phooey" there.... i think?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ooooh if money weren't a factor. my mission is to get this bike road worthy and looking decent and still stay under the $3K total investment. still have tires to get and lots of odds and ends. going to take my chances on the phooey and have dremel in hand hoping for the best. will be sure to post my impressions when finished.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
These are Chinese fairings, the same as on ebay, just more expensive.
this....
based on the photos and the description i was guessing this as well. Not to stir the pot, but the Ebay sellers' auction photos and discription was nearly identical to this, if not even more descriptive. When i messaged them to ask about their process and confirm if they used INJECTION MOLDING, as stated in descrition. the response i got back was "not for this model. they use the thermal form process and have been doing so for the last 5 years without any fitment issues."

not trying to start controversy. just throwing it out there.

D

·
Premium Member
2,321 Posts
where would you guys say is the cheapest place to get aftermarket fairings? any sites besides ebay

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for that input fender. Once again putting to rest my biggest concern. your impressions were a key factor in me making my decision to give the hong kong fooey a hard look. they all look to be about the same, but some auctions are more informative than others. some claim that the ABS plastic comes for Korea is TUV approved etc. i guess you have to go with what/who makes you most comfortable. I am going to go out on a limb and say most of the plastics from hong kong are about the same and very few, if any are injection molded. at least, for this bike anyway?? :confused:
it nice to know thought that places like nice cycle are gettin the nod for for still carrying basically same inventory though i guess.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
got some time to pull the tupperware off and see what was up with this thing under the hood so to speak.

what i found was:
I confirmed the flapper mod has been done. Nice aluminum block off disk from Kyle cycle on the intake, and flapper removed. i rtv'd the disk to keep it solid and still need to pull the solenoid etc.

PAIR valves have been blocked off although i think all the acessories that go with the system are still there. will need to remove them when i get time and will be making some nice block of off plates when i get a chance to clean things up when all is said and done.

the blinkers just need installed and some minor wiring bugs taken care of. some of the factory connectors have been hacked, but i can make do. thinking of doing some EYEBROW LED blinkers to go along with some flush mounts. if anyone has info on doing that i would be grateful, but i have some ideas..

Soft rev limiter mod was not done, but i did this with relative ease in about 30mins using the rogue RC51 guide. if any of you own RC cars, planes, etc you can use a female JST style connector to connect the pin on the ECU. fits good. here is a pic. with the jst style plug itself and with one of the female wires removed from the jst plug next to it.
IMG_0297.jpg

you just have to run the wire through the plug and connect it to the pin, then splice the wire into the grey harness.
IMG_0298.jpg
I connected the JST connector to the pin on the ecu FIRST then ran the clipped end of the wire THROUGH the plug then to the splice. this is to make sure it stays connected when re-installing the black plug to the ECU. the jst is just a little on the small side and might pop out if trying to connect it to the ecu by just sticking the jst wire in the hole of the plug and and hoping it doesn't push out when pluggin back in to the ECU.
IMG_0299.jpg
i am not a big fan of the pink piggy back connectors but this was all i had and seemed to do the job well enough. hopefullt this is making a good enough connection. the JST wire is on the small side so i hope the piggy was able to cut through the insulation to make a good connetion. Any tips on verifying this using a ohmmeter would be appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i was able to confirm i am gettin power to my jumper plug/jst connector.
seems that the piggy back connector made a good connection. Not sure what is up with my Ohm meter, or if it just me, couldn't get a good reading. but i was a able to confirm power via a test light.

if any one can tell me what setting to use on the ohm meter for a reading such as this, I would appreciate it, as this would help me determine if i need to take the unit back to home depot and i am not real familiar using ohm meters. electrics have always bested me.:eek:

sorry all if i am coming off as a Post Ho. i am not normally one of those. I am just exited to be getting back into the game after what has been a long hiatus, and well i am pretty excited about this bike. more so than others i have had in recent past. I have made some nice eyebrow blinkers i will post up once the battery once my camera charges. I think my total cost for the the pair is less than $10.

best,
D

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you measure with the contact on, engine off, then you should dial in the meter to VOLTS, with a "-" sign (opposed to the "~" sign).

You should set it on anything higher then 12, most likely 20.

Just be sure the battery in the meter is full, I get some strange readings if it is (almost) empty.

Let the good work keep coming :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
okay i will try that.. thanks for the tips.

good news.. the eybrows are BRIGHT. which is was i was hoping for since i am having to go with flush mounts for the fairings/nose cowl.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so just an update...
still have to pull the plumming off for pair system and what is leftover of the flapper system. just waiting on parts before i start the building process.

got lots of parts on order. on their way accross the pond on the "slowboat fom china".:) FWIW i am dubbing this build the chinabay build because every part listed below i have ordered below came off ebay and/or china via ebay.
waiting for:
full fairing kit china
frame slider kit china
billet clipons china
oem lever set usa
progrip 714 usa
new power commander 3usb usa
reflective wheel stripes china
grip heaters usa
michelin pilot power 180/55 usa

sitting on my bench:
XENON 5000k headlights usa via china
Cateye blinkers usa
oem style mirros china
factory honda service manual

got some other odds and ends from Motorcycleusa coming in, brake fluid, air filters, an new jacket and boots.
thank God for tax returns. my wife is awesome letting me have my way.. but i am still right at or under budget. my ebay parts came out to be close to $1100 so it looks like i will be able to keep the whole thing at $3500 total invested including bike.
still need to get some oil and some coolant. fork oil (open to suggestions 195lb in street clothes, intermidiate/agressive street rider.

might shoot some video of of the plastics when they come in.

best,
D

·
Registered
575 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts