RC51 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek: I haven't had a visit from my old friend speeding ticket in awhile, as a matter of fact my insurance lady congratulated me when I started up the insurance on the bike because in Oct. my record was going to be clean! Well yesterday on my lunch break I got nailed 67 in a 45 and its not waiverable got to go to court they mean business, you know it is so hard not to crack the throttle open on this bike every chance I get! Whys it got to be against the law to have so much fun! Its funny when I first see the red and blues flash on, my first thought is to run can I make it, then I calm down and pull over.

·
Registered
54 Posts
haha, man that sucks. ive been pretty lucky and have only been stopped a couple times. thats not going to be a cheap one either, sorry bud.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
I don't much care for driving in Ohio because I know to well what you are talking about. My travels to the Mid-Ohio race have caused me issues before with Columbus cops.....5 over during that weekend on a bike, they nail you.:rolleyes:

Proven Strategy:

When you appear before the judge and you state your name etc, some point in time he/she will ask Why? Respectfully tell the truth. As well let them know you are trying to protect the points on your record and if there are any other suggestions by the judge or prosecutor that would satisfy the State/Common Wealth, you are open to hearing their suggestions.

The state/county/city usually just wants your money....

Before your court date, go to the prosecutor's office and have a talk along the same lines. If it is not deferrable, then maybe you could pay the same fine for a lesser charge, preferrably a non-moving violation.

I have been to court twice in three years using this strategy and has worked every time. They just want the money!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't much care for driving in Ohio because I know to well what you are talking about. My travels to the Mid-Ohio race have caused me issues before with Columbus cops.....5 over during that weekend on a bike, they nail you.:rolleyes:

Proven Strategy:

When you appear before the judge and you state your name etc, some point in time he/she will ask Why? Respectfully tell the truth. As well let them know you are trying to protect the points on your record and if there are any other suggestions by the judge or prosecutor that would satisfy the State/Common Wealth, you are open to hearing their suggestions.

The state/county/city usually just wants your money....

Before your court date, go to the prosecutor's office and have a talk along the same lines. If it is not deferrable, then maybe you could pay the same fine for a lesser charge, preferrably a non-moving violation.

I have been to court twice in three years using this strategy and has worked every time. They just want the money!
I give it a try! I not sure how to word myself? I guess I'll say something on the lines of " I would like to protect my driving record so I would greatly appreciate some sort of other charge that would satisfy the courts and not affect my driving record points. my court is on the 26th

·
Registered
149 Posts
My tactic works well, I show the officer my son's business card, he's a State Trooper, I chat with the officer, he scolds me, no ticket, all is good. Unfortunately though, my son is in another part of the state, and we don't get to ride together much.

·
Super Moderator
6,485 Posts
Back in the 80's (during the 55 MPH lunacy), the Ohio State Police would give tickets for 1 MPH over the limit, being total jerks.

Going through Dayton, there is a dogleg on I-75 where the speed limit would drop from 55 to 50 for about a 1/4 mile.
They had about 6 police cars lined up in each direction doing nothing but making peoples lives miserable all day long.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
Well, on a brighter side, I'm seeing news reports from the local news media that are encouraging motorcycle awareness. A couple channels are reporting things like what causes car vs. motorcycle crashes, how to look out for motorcycles that 'share' lanes, etc. They are being pretty fair to motorcyclists, saying it isn't always our fault. I'm also seeing electronic road signs, and the regular road signs advising motorists to be aware and share the road. We already get to use the carpool lane, you just gotta watch the speed. Cops will pull you over for anything more than 15 mph over. That's the magic number around here...

Sorry to hear about your ticket Tommysixgun. Sounds like Madbuyer has good advice, apparently he's been in and out of the system for a while now and he knows how to work it! :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow!

It's so different over here when it comes to speeding. Most of the time the first time you know you've been 'got' is when you get notification through the post. (The Dutch are big on static cameras)

Here, there is a set scale for speeding fines starting at €75 for being up to 10kph over the limit, to €320 for being 49kph over.

50kph+ and they take your licence off you on the spot & make you walk home, you have to plead to a judge for it to be returned which is never less than a month.

Get caught at over double the limit and they take your wheels and put them in the crusher, no appeal no comeback :(

There are penelty points too, but as I'm driving on a British licence I don't get them - technically I should have changed over to a Dutch licence years ago but since we are all one big Europe now, it's become non-compulsory in the last couple of years.

btw Whats all this about hymen herders?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Driving 20+ year old Land Rovers has kept me off the speeder list for quite a while (they are actually incapable of speeding) but the RC51 does tempt me quite often. So far so good though.

·
Premium Member
1,904 Posts
I live in Canada and I don't know about where everyone else is, but around here the Leo's love ticketing sport bikes..a dime over and sometimes less than that. I'm no angel, but I do try and behave to a reasonable extent because I refuse to pay a voluntary tax for s**ts and giggles if possible. I get away with all kinds of stupid speeds on the Goldwing, usually just a quick flash of the bubblegum machine or a hand out the window with a patting down motion. I've been 'warned' that way at over 140kph (85+mph) dozens of times.:D If it was on the RC I'd be in the back seat where there's no door handles:(

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I live in Canada and I don't know about where everyone else is, but around here the Leo's love ticketing sport bikes..a dime over and sometimes less than that. I'm no angel, but I do try and behave to a reasonable extent because I refuse to pay a voluntary tax for s**ts and giggles if possible. I get away with all kinds of stupid speeds on the Goldwing, usually just a quick flash of the bubblegum machine or a hand out the window with a patting down motion. I've been 'warned' that way at over 140kph (85+mph) dozens of times.:D If it was on the RC I'd be in the back seat where there's no door handles:(
Profiling.
I run into it on occasion. I pull my hemet off (lots of snow on my roof), and the reaction is a quizical look back and forth between me and my 'crotch rocket'.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Profiling.
I run into it on occasion. I pull my hemet off (lots of snow on my roof), and the reaction is a quizical look back and forth between me and my 'crotch rocket'.
Thats funny.....cause I get the same reaction:D

:eek: What??? Your not the post teenaged year squid???? No Officer Friendly, I am a seasoned veteran that actually pays considerable amounts of taxes so you can cruise around in your POS Crown Vic:rolleyes:

·
Registered
609 Posts
I know the cops up in Cicero, Indiana are gunning for me. Small town, small minded cops. I'm not going to incriminate myself on here but when they drive by my house and the garage door is open, they love to slow down and give me a telling look. I'm always careful though, I never let my speed overtake my skill.

·
Registered
8,663 Posts
I know the cops up in Cicero, Indiana are gunning for me. Small town, small minded cops. I'm not going to incriminate myself on here but when they drive by my house and the garage door is open, they love to slow down and give me a telling look. I'm always careful though, I never let my speed overtake my skill.
Oh that's just lovely! Watch your backside!
Several years ago I moved to Montana to work on the oil drilling rigs. I was a roughneck for about 2 years. Ken Scott, one of Roundup's finest, had it in for me too. He went so far as to plant perscription drugs in my glove box, (of my unlocked truck in my apartment parking lot at 2:00 am), then bust me for it when I came back down to continue partying at a friends house. DUI's didn't really have any teeth in those days, circa 1982. Hell, it just proved you were a man in that territory. But drugs? Bad; very, very bad. Even had his gun drawn and pointed at me. True story. That's the only time I've ever looked down the barrel of a very big looking handgun. After 3 days in the clink, charges were dropped and I was released.
Not saying cops in Indiana would try such arcane s**t, and that was a long time ago.
Just saying, you don't wanna be a frequent flyer in the system. Like one of our kango wearing, confused looking, fashion 'faux pas' of a member. (Hint: his name rhymes with badtire. :D)

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
This is why you need to come to my side of town. I have "family" that can take care of you:D

You are up there where most folks are so uptight you couldn't get a greased bb up their ass!

Still waiting on having that pint with you too there cw!

maybe I should go to Cicero for a spin.....

·
Registered
609 Posts
This is why you need to come to my side of town. I have "family" that can take care of you:D

You are up there where most folks are so uptight you couldn't get a greased bb up their ass!

Still waiting on having that pint with you too there cw!

maybe I should go to Cicero for a spin.....
Mate, that would be great. I'd love to see your bike. What side of town are you on again?

·
Registered
609 Posts
Oh that's just lovely! Watch your backside!
Several years ago I moved to Montana to work on the oil drilling rigs. I was a roughneck for about 2 years. Ken Scott, one of Roundup's finest, had it in for me too. He went so far as to plant perscription drugs in my glove box, (of my unlocked truck in my apartment parking lot at 2:00 am), then bust me for it when I came back down to continue partying at a friends house. DUI's didn't really have any teeth in those days, circa 1982. Hell, it just proved you were a man in that territory. But drugs? Bad; very, very bad. Even had his gun drawn and pointed at me. True story. That's the only time I've ever looked down the barrel of a very big looking handgun. After 3 days in the clink, charges were dropped and I was released.
Not saying cops in Indiana would try such arcane s**t, and that was a long time ago.
Just saying, you don't wanna be a frequent flyer in the system. Like one of our kango wearing, confused looking, fashion 'faux pas' of a member. (Hint: his name rhymes with badtire. :D)
Ouch. That doesn't sound good. This is how dumb Cicero cops are: 3 years ago I was walking home from the bar at 4am, it was NY Eve. A cop stopped me and asked me what I was doing out so late. I told him, it's NY eve and I'm going home. He told me that I shouldn't be walking on the road. I asked him to point out the sidewalk for me and I will use it. There isn't one, even though I was walking through a subdivision. I said I can go and get my car from outside the bar but he would arrest me. I told him I would call a cab, but there are no cab companies within 20 miles. I said what choice do I have but to walk home? He threatened me with PI so I asked him for a lift home. He refused. So I just had to reason with him and he actually let me walk off. Total dick. I think he just wanted to mess with me because he was bored. Still, not quite as bad as having drugs planted on me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts