RC51 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my RC but this thing is making me crazy! First was a crash (so totally my fault) that had me replacing the front forks, the left side radiator and various levers and brake parts. Next, I have spent the better part of the last 6 months solving an electrical problem. Ending in me having to replace what I was told (not from here) was an unbreakable part.....My ECU. Got everything back together today and was excited to get this thing back out (it's my track bike) on the track (I've been using my wife's SV 650).

So I start the bike up for the first time and BAM! Oil starts pouring out of the exhaust. From every joint starting at the cylinder. I'm hoping it's the head gasket but I was just wondering if anyone wants to place odds. Or have a guess.

Thanks for the rant space.

·
Registered
863 Posts
When you say "BAM" do you mean there was a noise and then the oil like something broke after you started it? If there was a noise like something broke then its bound to be something at the top of the head cams, valves, lifters etc.

I don't think its a head gasket if it was you would have coolant coming out of the exhaust not oil. Drain your oil and if it looks milky then yes its a head gasket but I think you have much bigger problems then that.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you say "BAM" do you mean there was a noise and then the oil like something broke after you started it? If there was a noise like something broke then its bound to be something at the top of the head cams, valves, lifters etc.

I don't think its a head gasket if it was you would have coolant coming out of the exhaust not oil. Drain your oil and if it looks milky then yes its a head gasket but I think you have much bigger problems then that.
No, I was just using BAM for dramatic effect. The bike ran little rough but no rattles or cluncks. As long as I kept the RPMs around 5-6 grand it ran OK. I thought the plugs were fouled at first.

I know, I hope it's not something worse but I don't feel good about it.
The thing is, I haven't been able to start it in a while because of all of the problems. The last time I could run it was when I was going through radiator issues. At that point I let it run for a few minutes until the radiator leaked but it never got above 200 deg. Then I got a new radiator and ran it to make sure it didn't leak. It did not leak and I thought it was ready to go. Then I was getting ready to load it up for a track weekend and it developed the electrical issue.

And by the way, I think there is a lot of water vapor (I use only water as coolant) as well as oil coming out of the exhaust.

What do you think?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you got water coming out then it definitely a head gasket. Like I said before drain the oil that will tell you everything.
Thanks, I'll post the results. I'm going to drain the coolant and the oil this weekend. Maybe start taking the head off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.