RC51 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here's a little mini rant...
I recently purchased my first RC51 and when I did I talked to the guy selling it asked him tons of questions and looked the bike over as best as I could when I went to get it. Now normally I give bikes that are new to me a complete once over before I take them on any rides or what not. The bike I got was about ready for a valve inspection at 31k miles. But it looks very clean and I got tons of spare parts with it. I don't regret the purchase at all however I am a bit upset that the person said it had all fresh fluids and spark plugs and oil and what not. Well I test rode for 5 minutes everything felt ok so I got it and loaded it on my trailer then drove it straight to my Honda dealer and told them to go through it and do the valve inspection. Forward to today I get a phone call from the tech saying the fluids are all low and look to be pretty old and the oil is overfilled. But other than that bike looks great so good news bad news I guess. So I tell them change everything fluids flush coolant sparks all of it . And I should have it ready to take out on a nice maiden voyage Saturday or Tuesday depending on their work pace.... moral of the story you never know what the guys before you knew or didn't know or if he told the truth or lied so always do your due diligence. Anyways excited to finally get her back soon !!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Used bikes, used cars, etc…….. I never trust what the PO says when it comes to vital maintenance items. Always best to go through and check/change maintenance items and verify for myself that everything is copacetic before firing it up and heading out on the road.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Used bikes, used cars, etc…….. I never trust what the PO says when it comes to vital maintenance items. Always best to go through and check/change maintenance items and verify for myself that everything is copacetic before firing it up and heading out on the road.
Agreed. When I picked up m y RC, even though the original owner was very detailed and had great maintenance records, I changed all of the fluids and did a full tear down for my own peace of mind.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah hospital bill would cost alot more than just going through the whole bike. Normally I do the same however due to an extremely busy work and personal life schedule I opted for having a reputable dealer do it for me. Should be ready Tuesday then I can take her on a nice ride next weekend.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well here's a little mini rant...
I recently purchased my first RC51 and when I did I talked to the guy selling it asked him tons of questions and looked the bike over as best as I could when I went to get it. Now normally I give bikes that are new to me a complete once over before I take them on any rides or what not. The bike I got was about ready for a valve inspection at 31k miles. But it looks very clean and I got tons of spare parts with it. I don't regret the purchase at all however I am a bit upset that the person said it had all fresh fluids and spark plugs and oil and what not. Well I test rode for 5 minutes everything felt ok so I got it and loaded it on my trailer then drove it straight to my Honda dealer and told them to go through it and do the valve inspection. Forward to today I get a phone call from the tech saying the fluids are all low and look to be pretty old and the oil is overfilled. But other than that bike looks great so good news bad news I guess. So I tell them change everything fluids flush coolant sparks all of it . And I should have it ready to take out on a nice maiden voyage Saturday or Tuesday depending on their work pace.... moral of the story you never know what the guys before you knew or didn't know or if he told the truth or lied so always do your due diligence. Anyways excited to finally get her back soon !!!
Just checking this thread….if you bought it in Redwood city it’s me that sold it to you. The spark plugs have about 500 miles on them and I had just upgraded to Spal fans and checked those plugs..they were good. Oil was changed when I replaced the fans… I have the receipt and has one ride on it (80 miles on it). Brake fluids were replaced mid summer last year. And coolant was new at fan replacement…so…less than 80 miles. Not sure what your tech found … but be a little suspicious…I gave you a ton of receipts with it…everything I said was the truth. And, I didn’t expect to sell but my knee injury forced my hand. Anyways good luck ..hope you get as much fun as I did with it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just checking this thread….if you bought it in Redwood city it’s me that sold it to you. The spark plugs have about 500 miles on them and I had just upgraded to Spal fans and checked those plugs..they were good. Oil was changed when I replaced the fans… I have the receipt and has one ride on it (80 miles on it). Brake fluids were replaced mid summer last year. And coolant was new at fan replacement…so…less than 80 miles. Not sure what your tech found … but be a little suspicious…I gave you a ton of receipts with it…everything I said was the truth. And, I didn’t expect to sell but my knee injury forced my hand. Anyways good luck ..hope you get as much fun as I did with it.
Yup thats me I saw all the receipts and appreciated all the parts especially after seeing how hard everything else is to get. I will confess it's the first time I've taken anything to these guys but you'd think a Honda dealer would be legit . The sparks I told them to do just s part of the full service since it was only and extra hour plus parts for the valve inspection/ adjust . I did tell them you just swapped those hoses and they still recommend the the coolant too. All in all I will have it back soon and I will enjoy the crap out of it . Hope the PT is going well and my offer still stands anytime you want to ride the ape just let me know ! I'll be posting any mods done to the bike here if you want to check it out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks….I just took my Harley in for a little service and then all of a sudden it was 2k. It’s a 2009 and I’m sure the few parts that were replaced could have been warm…. But the dealer was also trying to sell me more. Anyways…. My dad always told me “believe nothing of what you here and half of what you see”…at least with the dealer you get some kind warranty… peace ride safe

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update on the 2003 sp2 she will be ready for pick up tomorrow and I just got an email from the company I reached out to for oem fairing replicas. They sent some pictures to confirm color scheme was correct before shipping . They look great I will update fit once I get these in . Now does anyone know where to order the decals for the 1000r and the Honda decals for the rear tail and the wind screen ?
Sports equipment Grey Automotive tire Automotive design Font
Cleat Automotive design Personal protective equipment Human leg Athletic shoe

·
Registered
226 Posts
Looking good sir! I think the Honda decals for the tail and windscreen are still available from Honda. If you're in need of a 03 tank let me know, I have one that came on one of my 02's that I removed and plan to sell.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you sir ! Will do is the color scheme on the tank the same for a 2000 and an 03 ? If it is I may take you up on that since my 2000 came with the 06 fairings and tank and will need to be brought back to a more correct scheme.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Thank you sir ! Will do is the color scheme on the tank the same for a 2000 and an 03 ? If it is I may take you up on that since my 2000 came with the 06 fairings and tank and will need to be brought back to a more correct scheme.
The 03 tank graphics are slightly different than the 00 graphics, the 03 graphics have smaller and different shape black wing tips to line up with the 03 side fairings. They are very similar graphics though, to the point that when I first bought my 02 I didn't even notice it had a different year tank mounted. Here's a pic, send me a message if you want more, I don't want to fill up your build thread, the tank is dent and rust free, thanks.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Crankset Automotive design Motor vehicle Hood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive design Rolling

Ok picked her up today. Scared the crap out of myself I filled it while on the trailer ( overfill) with fuel and when I put it on the kickstand fuel leaked out of the overflow I left and didn't notice come back and see a puddle on the floor, not cool!! Had a minor heart attack until I figured out what happened. Cleaned it and ran it checked it no repeat so we're good ! Riding her to work tomorrow. I did adjust the rearsets so that I can bring the kickstand down the way they were before you couldn't get at it with your foot . Man I'm excited to have her . Also maybe it's because I'm use to the aprilia but she feels really low...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well [email protected]#t boys ! Had her for one day and she's back at the dam dealership. Pretty pissed about it rode to work this morning about 60 miles on hwy 26 2 lane road . Felts some slight slips took it very easy but enjoyed the ride . Got to work and went inside didn't looks at her or anything crazy just walked in . Forward to lunch all the guys are drooling over her and my buddy notices a oil spit on the floor under her... I look there's fluid everywhere side of the fairings on the spools very little on the rear tire though luckily . So ofcourse I'm pissed I just picked her up yesterday. Call the dealer they ask for pictures so I sent them they call me asking to pick it up. I go drop it off and they are Taking care of everything regardless of what they find. That's the clutch slave they repaired too ...Told them I want it back fixed correctly on their dime. They were good about it though but we will see . Wish me luck lol

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is that oil seeping out of the shifter shaft?
Btw- that prillia is sho sexy 👍
Apparently it's coming from the stator cover they called me today but yes it's all over rather shift shaft and the kick stand and the whole left side basically. They called me ordered parts ans are going to fix it for me .
Thanks the aprilia I love it but I miss my 2010 this one has way too much electrical help . I turned most of it off.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay so I picked her up from the dealer today its all done now no more leaks I didn't see any after running it stationary we will see Thursday when I ride it to work. Threw on some replacement socks for the reservoirs and a cool hrc key chain and wiped her down .

Coolest thing happened when I picked her up though, an older gentleman walked up totally mesmerized by the bike and started talking to me asking me about it then asked if he could take a picture because the bike was so Beautiful. Best feeling ever to have someone appreciate the bike like that .
Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Tire Automotive tire

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay more good news for the 03 ! Just got a package from DHC in Canada I ordered a rear hugger and chain guard set from him back I think on may 2nd or so . Just got here today but let me tell you its freaking gorgeous!! Totally worth the wait .can't wait to throw these on.
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Textile Wood

Blue Architecture Font Wood Rectangle

Hood Automotive design Trunk Bumper Wood

Wood Art Font Tints and shades Building

Sleeve Wood T-shirt Floor Sportswear

Comfort Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Automotive design

Hood Automotive design Shark Bumper Floor

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok took it for a ride to work and back home today. Seems to run well but hot turned the fans on manually and that helped but they bumper to bumper had it bouncing off 220 its about 99 degrees today . I did notice that there are spots of coolant near the left rearsets seem to be coming off the black plastic cap ill have to check and make sure its secured properly or maybe replace it . Anyone have this issue ?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts